• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    Well I got my first C&R firearm sight unseen from SOG. I am pretty happy with the condition of the metal, the wood, not quite so much. I cleaned the stock up a little but it still looks mostly like it came. The biggest detracting factor is that there is a lot of wood chewed up on the right side around the recoil lug. How do you guys think I did?

Attachments

• P1020257.jpg
      P1020257.jpg
      48.4 KB · Views: 493
    • P1020254.jpg
      P1020254.jpg
      52.7 KB · Views: 494
    • P1020255.jpg
      P1020255.jpg
      60.1 KB · Views: 507
    • P1020256.jpg
      P1020256.jpg
      65.6 KB · Views: 498
    • P1020247.jpg
      P1020247.jpg
      86.3 KB · Views: 499
    • P1020259.jpg
      P1020259.jpg
      85.2 KB · Views: 498
    Last edited:

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    One other thing, the bore looks very good. Possibly some slight pitting but it may just be some gunk that will shoot loose because I haven't spent all that much time scrubbing it.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    I should add that all the numbers match except for the bolt unfortunately.

I think you did fine. Sight unseen is always a scary proposition.

It's OK to say it.....

Say it with me.....

Uuuuuuun-Maaaaaaatching. We need to eliminate "All matching except the bolt". It's a lame term sellers use.

The metal looks nice.

The stock definitely needs some love. I say do a total strip of the old finish.

Another good SOG T53 find. Post some after pics.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    I think you did fine. Sight unseen is always a scary proposition.

It's OK to say it.....

Say it with me.....

Uuuuuuun-Maaaaaaatching. We need to eliminate "All matching except the bolt". It's a lame term sellers use.

The metal looks nice.

The stock definitely needs some love. I say do a total strip of the old finish.

Another good SOG T53 find. Post some after pics.

I understand matching vs. nonmatching. I was just saying that unfortunately all the parts but the two that matter match. :o

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    You done good. South Carroll Sporting Goods has two pretty nice T53s for $135. I was tempted but held off.

mstraus

Jul 23, 2009
    Frederick MD
    Nice. Metal looks pretty darn good. I agree pretty typical of what is coming out of SOG these days. Not to many T53's are caked in cosmo.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Follow the Macodoc SKS rejuvenation if you want to touch the finish
    IMHO it's the most efficient and low time alternative to stripping

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    That looks good. The bore looks great. I agree the wood could take some love. I'd remove the remaining shellac, it's not worth saving. Then do a nice BLO finish. No sandpaper though, keep the character.

If I do refinish it some spots will need some sanding. It has some pretty splintery spots.

smoothebore

A total refinish would not match the metal so I followed Macodoc's SKS convervation method and worked well. pics of before and after in this thread.
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=102953

I agree and Machodoc's method is very complete. It just depends on the stock in question, as to how much time to spend on trying to preserve a few shellac flakes. I'm not suggesting a complete strip and redo. Just denatured alcohol and a rag to remove the little remaining shellac. Then very discriminate sandpaper for splinters only, followed by BLO and stain or dye of choice. I would complete the finish with two or three coats of Tom's 1/3 mix military gunstock wax. Anyway, that's how I did my T53.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    I wonder if the damage around the recoil lug will destroy my accuracy. If you press on the lug there it will wiggle back and forth some. That's the only thing about this buy that really disappointed me.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    I've decided that I think the stock needs to be redone. I will probably get some very fine grit sandpaper and lightly sand it because right now it's pretty splintery. Probably do a blo finish after getting it all cleaned up with a little staining if any sanded parts are to light.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom