• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • john_bud

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Well,

I jumped. Ordered a Tokarev from SOG.

Pretty easy process -- this could be dangerous....

jb

john_bud

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    I now see that they have Polish Tok's on sale for 189~! Oh sure, right after I order a Romanian .... grrrrr Must resist urge to splurge ... Must resist urge to splurge ...

Tootall

Feelings Hurter
    Oct 3, 2008
    AACO
    just wait until you get a hold of the basic ones and start trolling gun broker looking for something different. I just won my first gunbroker c&R auction :thumbsup: congrats you will love the tok!! check out marschal's grips rrrrrkevin and i both have a pair and i have to say they completely change the gun but in a great way!

john_bud

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    I called SOG as the order has been in "processing" since Monday. They shipped it and it is being delivered today.

Can't wait!

jb

john_bud

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    flat models are $50 wrap around grips are $80 in ur choice of wood and finish

Thanks.

I did get my gooey box-o-fun today from the smiling man in the big brown truck. "gooey"? Yes! The gun was wiped down, but still full of gunk. The extra mag on the other hand was packed tight with cosmoline. Took a good half hour to get it fairly clean. Will have to go after it tomorrow in earnest.

I was actually very happy with the gun. The finish is pretty nice. Couple scratches, but for a gun made in 1953 and used in the military it's in good shape. I field stripped it and that was a snap, except for the barrel bushing. It was glued on tight and I had to work at getting it off. The trigger is actually very good. Browning inspired design, I guess that's all it takes. The box came with the gun, 2 mags, holster, cleaning rod and a lanyard. Good deal. Over all the gun feels tight and should be a good shooter with nice looking barrel. Won't know until late Monday when the brown truck rolls up with 1264 rounds of 7.62x25.

Yesterday I got a bound book with numbered pages. I know, could use loose pages, but sure as Hell's a man trap -- I'd lose some pages. Also got some self adhesive 1/2 sheet document pockets. Put 3 in the book. In the front inside cover is the original unsigned C&R. In the back is signed copies in one pocket and purchase paperwork in another. Only one entry in the book - so far.

john_bud

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    The spam can of 1224 rounds of 7.62x25 from AIM came yesterday evening. I chiseled the lid off this morning and admired the well packed boxes. The bullets were also nice and shiny inside the individual boxes sitting in layers with a serpentine woven ribbon of brown paper separating them.

Well, newly cleaned Tok and a fresh open spam can means only one thing .... shooting time!

Went out to the back yard and shot one box of 72 rounds. It ran thru the box perfectly, except for one failure to feed. :innocent0 turns out someone didn't push the magazine all the way into the pistol :innocent0 Don't know who that could have been :innocent0. Anyway, aside from that one failure, that the gun was not responsible for, it ate and spat out all 72 rounds. The recoil was actually much less than I was expecting. About 1/2 of what a 180gr 40s&w gives. The muzzle blast was about the same, but the amount of smoke (choke cough cough) was about 2-3x greater. Still, when the bullets cost $0.10 each - who cares?

I'm not a great shot. Actually, only very mediocre. But, at 30 ft I shot 48 rounds into an area 2"x4" with only a dozen fliers making the total group about 4x8". The bulls eye was pretty much shot completely out of the target. I shot one bullet at a 12"x12" chunk of sandstone about 35 yards away and hit it about 2" left of center. Fairly astounding -- especially with me at the controls! The other 23 rounds were the first ones shot and I had a fair amount of fliers as I was figuring out exactly when the trigger breaks over, how to best hold it, etc. Still, the bulk of the bullets landed in or near the bulls eye.

The only down side is that the gun really flings the brass with wanton abandon. They were flying out 15' at the shortest to over 30' away from where I was standing! And High -- whhoo boy, it flings the brass high! After the first mag, I looked for brass and couldn't find any where I was expecting it to land. Eventually found 3. I think the others were flung over the 12' high side wall 20' away and into the weeds. I did find 63 of 72 brass. Normally, I find all brass shot. Over 1000 rounds of 40s&w and only 1 lost brass.

The other "issue" is that the firing pin split retaining pin was replaced with a solid steel pin and the ends peened out. So, to break down the slide and get the firing pin out, that pin will need to be drilled out or ground out. Carefully, with out buggering up the slide. That will be a bit of a challenge. Oh well, it's a really good gun in all other aspects.

Just thought you might like to know.

jb

jhason

Jan 29, 2009
    MontCo
    Nice find. I have a C&R application that has been on my desk for months. Maybe I'll look into filling it out some time this week!

john_bud

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009

You asked for it!

Bonus points for the first person to correctly identify the long gun in the
    background! Hint: It was converted from flintlock to percussion prior to the civil war... and it was from a famous American inventor.

The Tok came with a lanyard to attach to the grip that showes use, a holster that looks unissued, a spare mag that was full of cosmo. The
    pictures may not show it well, but the bluing on the gun is about perfect
    and the grips are also very good with only a few chips. The shots were
    taken from 30-33'. The main group is about 2" x 4". With fliers the whole
    48 shots is 5" x 6". Many can probably shoot a tighter cluster, but for me,
    that's good!

I put the Colt Hammerless Pocket pistol in .32acp up for comparison.
    The TT is a size larger physically, but way way more powerful.

48shotsfired.jpg

Results.jpg

TT33.jpg

TT33comparedtoColt.jpg

TT33leftside.jpg

TT33meetColtPocketPistol.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member