• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TrappedinMD

Dec 15, 2011
    Western MD
    So I have been contemplating getting into reloading for awhile and finally pulled the trigger. After not being able to find my preferred .30-06 ammo for several months I decided it was time. I spent one evening setting up the resizing/depriming die to bump the shoulder back .00125" and cleaning the brass. Tonight I measured the COAL when the bullet was just touching the lands, then set the seating die up to seat the bullet .0015" off the lands. I'm loading 180 grain Sierra Matchkings into Winchester brass and using IMR-4350 powder. Based on the book the power start is 42 grains and the max load is 46 Grains. So I loaded up 4 rounds for each 52,53,54,55 and 56 grain powder charges to shoot a ladder test. Once i figure out which of those shoots the best I will go .6 grains up and down in .2 grain increments. I'm pretty excited about this, hopefully it will be a big step into improving my shooting.

Attachments

• SAM_0026.jpg
      SAM_0026.jpg
      69.9 KB · Views: 539
    • SAM_0028.jpg
      SAM_0028.jpg
      54.3 KB · Views: 613
    • SAM_0029.jpg
      SAM_0029.jpg
      92.2 KB · Views: 532
    Last edited:

Praeger

Apr 7, 2014
    Howard County
    You may want to color code your bracketed rounds, so if they fall out of the box you know which is which. I use a sharpe to color the tip of the bullet.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    You may want to color code your bracketed rounds, so if they fall out of the box you know which is which. I use a sharpe to color the tip of the bullet.

learned the hard way on this one. Box opened up on me putting it into the car once. I shot them anyway (that was a waste) but with Hind Site should have just pulled the bullets and started over.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    So I have been contemplating getting into reloading for awhile and finally pulled the trigger. After not being able to find my preferred .30-06 ammo for several months I decided it was time. I spent one evening setting up the resizing/depriming die to bump the shoulder back .00125" and cleaning the brass. Tonight I measured the COAL when the bullet was just touching the lands, then set the seating die up to seat the bullet .0015" off the lands. I'm loading 180 grain Sierra Matchkings into Winchester brass and using IMR-4350 powder. Based on the book the power start is 42 grains and the max load is 46 Grains. So I loaded up 4 rounds for each 42,43,44,45 and 46 grain powder charges to shoot a ladder test. Once i figure out which of those shoots the best I will go .6 grains up and down in .2 grain increments. I'm pretty excited about this, hopefully it will be a big step into improving my shooting.

You can't shoot those rounds! Those rounds are clearly defective! There are holes in those bullets!

Looking good OP! Enjoy!

TrappedinMD

Dec 15, 2011
    Western MD
    Sorry guys i just noticed that i missed a couple posts. Yea I meant .015 off the lands! added a zero there lol. I dont think you can see it but i wrote the charge in sharpie on the side of the cases.

TrappedinMD

Dec 15, 2011
    Western MD
    So I finally made it out to the range tonight. I only got to shoot the baseline Winchester ammo, followed by the 4 shot groups of 52, 53, and 54 before the rain hit. Looks like she really likes the 52 grain IMR-4350 load!! (Ignore the flinch)

Attachments

• photo (2).jpg
      photo (2).jpg
      71 KB · Views: 255

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Fun, huh? Damned betcha! Shooting Bug eyed tight groups is a LOT of fun!

Don't be surprised to find that your higher charge weights oftentimes won't yield improvements in accuracy. In fact, the reverse is oftentimes true.

Make good ammo. Watch always for pressure signs, keep good notes, be safe and Enjoy!

TrappedinMD

Dec 15, 2011
    Western MD
    Thanks guys! Yea it's already addictive! Lol those are my first four 52 gr loads too. Yea the 53gr groups were slightly larger and the 54 were slightly larger than the 53. I might try out 51.5 and 52.5 but I don't expect much better groups.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom