• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rtodd1586

Sep 25, 2012
    Glen Burnie, Maryland
    I decided to build an AR from the ground up (my first AR was complete at purchase). This is what I have ordered so far :
    Spikes Lower
    Spikes LPK
    Spikes T2 buffer
    6 position buffer tube

I have a few questions around the upper parts though.
    Im looking for recommendations on the barrel ( 5.56) and maybe (.300)

Need an upper receiver

And for a BCG. There are 10,000 on the market and every seems to say as long as its Mil spec its ok (to me that seems to be a little bit of a marketing ploy) everything today seems to say its "mil-spec"
    Any advice for this newb would be appreciated!

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Barrel, for .300 - buy once, cry once, have not been disappointed by Noveske yet. If your budget won't allow for that, PSA, CMMG, and a few others should fit the bill. I have had great luck with pistol-length gas systems for that round, but others have carbine-length sytems and it still seems to run well for them.

For 5.56, your budget and intended uses should be your guide. BCM barrels have shot great for me in 1:7, and even Stag's barrels in 1:9 have treated me well.

Upper receivers, much like lowers, are basically made by a handful of companys for the manufacturers. Believe it or not, but I actually find DPMS units to have nice and snug fits to most of my lowers, so I use their stripped uppers for a base to build off of.

BCG, I prefer to stick with known entity's when possible. The main part for me is bolt material (158 Carpenter or 9130 steel is preferred), 8620 is fine for the carrier, but not the bolt. HPT (high pressure test) and MPI (magnetic particle inspected) is also preferred on the bolt, some do it by batch, other's test each individual bolt. BCM is my preference, but they can go out of stock quickly. JoeBob's (IP here) BCG's are a great bang for buck, and they've done well by me as well.

As long as you do your homework, you can build a solid performing upper on a decent budget.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom