• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JnstemIII

Feb 23, 2011
    Oldtown, MD
    Alright all you guys with the AK'S have given me AK fever. And now i need one not want one neeeeed one. So if you guys can do me a favor and tell me what kind there are and what prices they range.:D

DarthZed

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2010
    Howard County
    Unless you have a specific type you're looking for, I'd recommend an Arsenal. Prices are about $700 -$1000. They're a bit more than a WSAR, but the quality/accuracy makes up for it in my opinion. Please god don't get a Century of any kind. They have hit-or-miss quality control (usually non-existent), and no warranty. As in they offer 90 days from the time the dealer buys the gun. So you can buy a brand new one from a dealer, and its probably out of warranty.
    I have a Polish Tantal on layaway at Atlantic Firearms (an Interarms model) atm, thats an AK74 variant, and runs $600. You can get WSARs for $350ish online. But I wouldn't buy one that I couldn't inspect first. Just my opinion.

JnstemIII

Feb 23, 2011
    Oldtown, MD
    Lower or middle and i want one that i can stain and finish myself. When i was living in florida i seen one that wasnt finished. Idk if or where i can get one around here.

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    Lower or middle and i want one that i can stain and finish myself. When i was living in florida i seen one that wasnt finished. Idk if or where i can get one around here.

Contact Jaybeez....

he built his from Romy Kits and did a Freaking great job!!! you can do the work you want like refinish the wood and duracoat all the metal parts. its a great shooter too!!! He's not asking anything more that what you'd pay for a WASR and honestly his build blows the WASR away. I have both a WASR 10 and his Romy build and I'd buy another if i had the $$.

this was a great buy for the $$

Attachments

• AK47 JB 001b.JPG
      AK47 JB 001b.JPG
      45 KB · Views: 342
    Last edited:

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Id slink around for a Mak90 and convert it, think we used to call these junk guns but they are actually fairly high quality compared to some of the more recent imports.

Not bashing just my experience.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    +1 on the MAK for value vs high quality.

A WASR will do, depending on what you expect. It was my first AK buy, and I still have it. The laminated furniture can clean up nice with some effort, and the Romanians do everything an AK should do. Some are even fairly accurate, though there are the occasional lemons (canted front sights or poor riveting) and fit issues after the magwell is hogged out.

JOBU

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 14, 2010
    STALAG Montgomery
    1. Get a new one
    2. Get an Arsenal
    3. Either 7.62x39 or 5.56

In the world of AK's, there are Arsenals and there is various degrees of average AK's.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    agreed with jobu on 2 accounts. new, and arsenal. my first AK was an arsenal and it was 7.62. i prefer the 7.62 but 5.45 is good as well. i would never get an AK in .223 i just think its pointless, i have ARs for 223. might as well find and AR in 7.62x39, same logic. not bashing, just my opinion. its like buying a 9 or 10mm 1911.....why. just go buy a corvette and swap a civic motor in it. either way it sucks

JohnnyBmore

This is not a"FREE STATE"
    Feb 3, 2011
    I am really really in to AK's right now .... Id have to say I like the Arsenals as well but not my only choice ....

Check out a bunch here on Atlantics Ak47 page .
    http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storecategory104.aspx

I also happen to know Atlantic will have some Converted Saigas on the site soon .they have nice wood stocks & all the original ak Goodies like Bayonet lug, Threaded barrel, exe ..
    They look & feel super nice!:party29:

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    jnstemIII,

As a self-confessed AK nut who works for an even bigger AK nut, I will happily own (and I do) Romanian G kit guns build (by us) on nodak spud receivers. Mine have all worked well and shot acceptably for AKs. The Yugo RPK, despite the dark bore, shoots VERY well. Nothing like an AK you built. The warning there is that you really need the tools to do it right.

Do not buy a century. do not buy a century. do not buy a century.

If you have the money, please buy yourself a Bulgarian Arsenal gun. They are the best commercially available gun. Next down is TGI. I've seen some of their work and it is mostly nice. If you want it built, find your parts where you can (gunbroker if you like to poke around on there) and buy a DCI/Nodak Spud receiver. Post samples built on these receivers have never had any issues that i've seen. Some of them boss did have 30,000+ rounds through them. That and you kill drillbits when you have to ream or drill the rivet holes. They are HARD.

A good ak will last you forever in semi auto.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    jnstemIII,

As a self-confessed AK nut who works for an even bigger AK nut, I will happily own (and I do) Romanian G kit guns build (by us) on nodak spud receivers. Mine have all worked well and shot acceptably for AKs. The Yugo RPK, despite the dark bore, shoots VERY well. Nothing like an AK you built. The warning there is that you really need the tools to do it right.

Do not buy a century. do not buy a century. do not buy a century.

If you have the money, please buy yourself a Bulgarian Arsenal gun. They are the best commercially available gun. Next down is TGI. I've seen some of their work and it is mostly nice. If you want it built, find your parts where you can (gunbroker if you like to poke around on there) and buy a DCI/Nodak Spud receiver. Post samples built on these receivers have never had any issues that i've seen. Some of them boss did have 30,000+ rounds through them. That and you kill drillbits when you have to ream or drill the rivet holes. They are HARD.

A good ak will last you forever in semi auto.

What makes the Bulgarians better than the Arsenal Saiga conversions?

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    That you don't have to worry about the guy who did the conversion having a bad day. One more potential for Whoopsie!

I have nothing against people that like the Saiga thing. I've done a few conversions. Welded the holes, welded in rear plate, mod the trigger guard or install a new one (customer preference) but there's still a potential that I might eff up a weld or lunch a spring. I haven't yet but it MIGHT happen. I test em all first, but i'm just a nut for making sure of everything. I don't trust anyone when it comes to building guns. I guess you could call me assembly paranoid (actually I trust about a half dozen people, depending on the gun in question) when it comes to my firearms.

I've just seen saiga conversions out there that look like a drunk chimp did them. plastic plugs in holes, screws, $hitty welding or no welding, crap aftermarket parts, etc. I'm very very leery based on that. I had to cut one apart and basically re-do from scratch.

Don't have any experience with Arsenal's conversions. Saigas from factory just seem to be rougher than the Arsenal original guns i've shot. Favorites are still the Bulgy Krinks and Bulgy full length side folding 74s. Sweet guns with nice fit and finish. Wood cleans up very nicely too.

I don't hate saigas or anything, I just have other guns I'd prefer (As long as price isn't an object) in the 7.62 and 5.45 x39mm calibers. Their 308 rifle (transferred 2) doesn't enthuse me much. the 12 gauges, when converted, are cool though. Boss runs one of those. Sooner or later that will become a post sample.

RealtorMatt

I've got one made by Russian American Armory, has the Saiga stamp on the side really nice wood furniture. No canted sights, and runs like a champ. I've got about 1500 rounds through it now and no matter what garbage corrosive ammo I put through it, it just keeps going and going.

I picked it up from Atlantic a while back for around $799 I think... I am very pleased.

It is the russian red color.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    That you don't have to worry about the guy who did the conversion having a bad day. One more potential for Whoopsie!

I have nothing against people that like the Saiga thing. I've done a few conversions. Welded the holes, welded in rear plate, mod the trigger guard or install a new one (customer preference) but there's still a potential that I might eff up a weld or lunch a spring. I haven't yet but it MIGHT happen. I test em all first, but i'm just a nut for making sure of everything. I don't trust anyone when it comes to building guns. I guess you could call me assembly paranoid (actually I trust about a half dozen people, depending on the gun in question) when it comes to my firearms.

I've just seen saiga conversions out there that look like a drunk chimp did them. plastic plugs in holes, screws, $hitty welding or no welding, crap aftermarket parts, etc. I'm very very leery based on that. I had to cut one apart and basically re-do from scratch.

Don't have any experience with Arsenal's conversions. Saigas from factory just seem to be rougher than the Arsenal original guns i've shot. Favorites are still the Bulgy Krinks and Bulgy full length side folding 74s. Sweet guns with nice fit and finish. Wood cleans up very nicely too.

I don't hate saigas or anything, I just have other guns I'd prefer (As long as price isn't an object) in the 7.62 and 5.45 x39mm calibers. Their 308 rifle (transferred 2) doesn't enthuse me much. the 12 gauges, when converted, are cool though. Boss runs one of those. Sooner or later that will become a post sample.

For sure I would take a Bulgy over most Saiga conversions for sure, but was wondering what the difference between the Bulgy and the SGL-21. The Arsenals look like they came from Russia that way, although they even they have canted sights sometimes.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Bite your tongue :D

On a value basis I would lean towards the Mak......alot cheaper, not that expensive to convert and good quality parts.

Yes i have all of the above in multiple variations:

Chinese AKM-47S preban, ARMCO Preban, NHM 91
    Arsenal SLR 95, SA5, SLR106

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom