• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • crashmore

Dec 28, 2008
    Maryland
    I'm getting the itch to add a 1911 to my collection. I was hoping I could get some recommendations for models to look at. I've been shooting regularly a little over a year now. Currently I have a couple of glocks and a couple of sigs. I find myself enjoying shooting my .45 more than anything and a 1911 seems like it would be a nice addition to grow my collection.

I'm looking for a practical all around good shooting gun that won't break the bank. Definitely want something that's more classic, going the space gun route really isn't really my style. My shooting is purely recreational with some steal and pin matches thrown in for fun. Not looking to go totally cheap but I don't want to go over the top for my first 1911 either, I'd rather wait and see how I like shooting one first before dumping serious money into one. I'd like to stay close to or under 1k if possible.

I'm just starting to research options so I would very much appreciate suggestions from those with more experience..

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Are you near a range that rents handguns? I would go that way if possible. A Springfield "Loaded" model might do you. Not sure what their current price is and how available they are. Springfield seems to make their 1911's in batches. One of the folks at Continental recommended the Kimber 1911, but they are dealer of that model.

If you are willing to take a risk, the Rock Island Arsenal 1911's have an OK reputation. I almost bought one a while back. $550 or so for a rather nicely equipped gun.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Springfield Armory GI. It is completely nothing fancy - just a Parkerized Government model 1911A1 .45 ACP, but it has it where it counts. From what I can see, it's virtually the same as my 1941 vintage Colt 1911A1 Government model, and I have zero complaints with that.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    The sights on those are rather poor, standard GI issue. crashmore if you were to buy that, please budget some $$$ for a set of good replacement sights. Your shooting will thank you. (My 1982 Colt had the same type of sights... UGH!!!)

bean93x

JamBandGalore
    Mar 27, 2008
    WV
    my vote goes towardsa a springfield armory parkerized loaded model.

night sights, beavertail grip safter, match trigger, ambi saftey, all the goodies.

i have one on order and should be able to get it my the end of this month or early-mid february.

Jim Sr

R.I.P.
    Jun 18, 2005
    Annapolis MD
    Springfield Armory GI. It is completely nothing fancy - just a Parkerized Government model 1911A1 .45 ACP, but it has it where it counts. From what I can see, it's virtually the same as my 1941 vintage Colt 1911A1 Government model, and I have zero complaints with that.
    :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

The slandered, by which all 1911 are judged against! :)

trbon8r

Ultimate Member
    Colt is my choice. Without breaking the bank I would look at their basic 1911:

http://www.coltsmfg.com/cmci/1991.asp

If you want something a little more modern you could look at the XSE:

http://www.coltsmfg.com/cmci/XSE.asp

I have an XSE, and the one thing I'd recommend you change is the stupid droopy duck butt grip safety that Colt still insists on installing. I changed to an upswept grip safety with memory pad and all is well. Wilson makes a drop in model that sells for around 50 bucks give or take.

Colt guns cost a little extra, and are harder to find here in Maryland, but I believe the price difference and the effort to find one is worth it.

Independence

long member
    Jul 16, 2008
    Nottingham

I'd go for the Springfield MilSpec with the bigger sights. It's a sweet shooter.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I'd go for the Springfield MilSpec with the bigger sights. It's a sweet shooter.
    That was actually what I was going to advise first - it has a couple of minor improvements over the GI, but I just figured that the GI would be a great platform to start with. The cost is about as low as you can find for any new 1911 .45 that is still made well and is of decent quality, and it would allow for a bevy of upgrades such as sights, barrel, guide rod, trigger, etc, all at the owners convenience and time frame, but it's just fine as is.

My 1911, while an original article 1941 Colt, is not stock by any means. The feed ramp is beveled for semi-wad cutters, (which it actually seems to prefer to ball ammo) it has a lightweight skeletonized trigger, and Wilson Combat white dot sights, not to mention the original arched mainspring housing is long gone, and replaced with a flat mainspring housing. I have no idea what happened to the original grips, and to that end, it may not have had the original grips when my Dad acquired it.

Anyway, that's kind of what I'm talking about when I say that the GI would be a nice platform to get behind a .45, and the modifications to "improve" it could be done over the course of time based on the owners time line and budget.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    Dan at the Gun connection has been having some Rock Island Armories passing through. If he can get the Tactical it's a great bang for your buck at under $500. Check out M1911.org and see how the owners of the different models feel about their individual pistols...

Celtic159

Nov 27, 2008
    Poolesville
    my vote goes towardsa a springfield armory parkerized loaded model.

night sights, beavertail grip safter, match trigger, ambi saftey, all the goodies.

i have one on order and should be able to get it my the end of this month or early-mid february.

+1

I've had a Colt government and a Para P-14, and my Loaded Springfield shoots circles around them both.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Depends what you can find, personally I like the look and feel of the Springfield GI's and Milspecs just a little hard to find in Maryland.

RIA guns are cheap, effective and reliable, cast frame (last time I checked they were still cast) will result in a little shorter life but you will not likely notice unless you shoot 40k rounds. Good first 1911.

Kimbers overpriced, but good guns if you can find one cheap (though the average is about $1200+) and I think they are still made in the US.

Dan Wesson's sweeeeeeeeeeeeet but severely overpriced. I probably wouldnt bother unless you are working towards a match gun.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Take a look at the Taurus, pretty sweet deal and good shooter for the price. Friend got one at Bass Pro when they were on "sale" and he loves it.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    +1

I've had a Colt government and a Para P-14, and my Loaded Springfield shoots circles around them both.
    From what I have witnessed at the range over the last few months, it seems many people shoot circles around the targets, no matter what gun they are shooting - every time I go I see people lucky to get it on the paper at 25 feet.

I know that's a little off topic, but as long as a gun functions, it would seem that many people wouldn't be able to discern much of a difference in accuracy from one gun to the next, whether it's a RIA GI, a Springfield fully loaded or even something higher end like an Ed Brown or Nighthawk. Of course some people like to think they can and they'll spare no expense and convince themselves that they are making the most of their uber expensive handgun.

It reminds me of the time I had a get-together with another local hobbyist trumpet player I met online where we got together with all of the horns we owned and sat around playing horns and talking shop. This guy had some nice stuff - some of it nicer than what I was using. (I was an Army Bandsman for 10 years have had gigged pretty regularly in some form or fashion since about 1987 - I'm by no means great, but I get the job done.) At one point he was going on and on about the differences between two horns he owned and how one was just so stuffy compared to the other. As crappy of a player as he was, I simply couldn't fathom how he could even tell the difference, because he definitely didn't have the capability to make the most out of the fine equipment he had acquired.

On the flip side of that, if you do have the best equipment, any deficiencies you might have can't be blamed on the equipment so while a person might not necessarily be helped as a shooter by purchasing a really nice gun, it's not going to hurt them either.

Celtic159

Nov 27, 2008
    Poolesville
    You must shoot with some awful shots....:D

The Colt Government was a "pretty" gun, but I've never owned a firearm that FTF more often. The Para had a gritty trigger out of the box and was mildly more reliable, but even from a rest with good quality ammunition couldn't group consistently. The Springfield has been a tack-driver since day one.

I tend to believe that people will generally be much more accurate with a weapon that they like and are comfortable with. Some people swear by the big Ruger semi-autos, and I can't stand them. Different strokes, I suppose.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    You must shoot with some awful shots....:D
    You have no idea. ;) The only way some of them could be worse would be if they held the gun sideways. This one guy one night was shooting a short barreled .357 double action, and was flinching so badly, his arms were quite literally shifting 6-8 inches, as evidenced by him pulling the trigger on a spent cylinder after he'd lost count. With such poor shooting fundamentals I have no idea what he was trying to accomplish, but I digress.

I think that there are a couple of reasons my .45 is as good as it is. For one, it was made at a time when production of new guns was a little different - 1941 - and it was made by Colt. Second, it was owned for a long time by my father - a gun smith, and specifically a pistol smith, and no doubt there is probably very little of that gun that wasn't jobbed by him in one way or another, long before it became mine.

My one complaint about this gun is that the fixed sights are off, but that's an issue easily rectified with quality, aftermarket adjustable sights - I just haven't done it yet.

At some point I'd like to have another 1911, and so I have been checking out what's new, and what's available used. I like Kimbers, but they tend to be a little pricey and I know a few folks who own or have owned Kimbers that have had reliability issues. Based on your testimony about your Springfield, I might just 'x' Kimber off of the list and set my sights on one of those.

crashmore

Dec 28, 2008
    Maryland
    Thanks for all the feedback. I think as a result of this thread I may have found a lead on a Springfield milspec that I think would fit what I'm looking for nicely.

Fustercluck

Aug 4, 2008
    Eastern Shore
    For a little different perspective, I would recommend getting the best gun you can afford. It seems to me that many people can't wait to upgrade some part of their 1911 as soon as they can, making it the ultimate tweaker's project. If you strongly suspect you will have a lifetime's passion for the 1911 platform, I am going to go out on a limb and suggest you look at a semi-custom 1911 (Les Baer, Wilson Combat, NIghthawk Custom, Ed Brown). You can find used ones around for moderate prices (<2k). The reality is that, to make a 1911 reliable enough for daily carry, it needs to be put together by someone who knows how to do so. I have read with amusement the posts on this webpage regarding FTF's and FTE's with 1911's (common lore, it would appear). In over 6k rounds through my Wilson and Nighthawk pistols, I have not had a SINGLE FTF or FTE.
    At the end of the day, you get what you pay for. You may get lucky and get a $500 1911 that shoots pretty good and reliably, but you are just as likely to get a donkey.

With that said, I will don my flame-retardant panties.....

Happy shopping. 1911's are addictive. Been shooting them for >20 years and still giggle sometimes when I shoot a really tight group.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    incase

Latest threads

Top Bottom