• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Artillarylover

Nov 5, 2016
    Hey, might be a dumb questin. Can a muzzel loader be used during firearms season and muzzel loader or do I need to wait till December 17?

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    As said, yes you can. Many people do because some find their inline muzzle loader more accurate to their shotgun at longer distances.
    You count your harvests based on the season, not the device used (ie, using ML during FA season counts to FA totals)

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    As said, yes you can. Many people do because some find their inline muzzle loader more accurate to their shotgun at longer distances.
    You count your harvests based on the season, not the device used (ie, using ML during FA season counts to FA totals)
    ^^^ this... be careful about how your harvests count, as between bow, ML, long gun and the various seasons, it can be confusing, but you can use a 'lesser weapon' (in the eyes of the DNR) during any of the firearms seasons (I can use my bow as well)...

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Yes. Just counts towards the season you are in, not the device used. Though mark the device used on your harvest record.

I use my muzzleloader sometimes during gun season. My 870 with slugs is accurate to about 100-120yds. Max. Ghost ring sights and at 100yds it is hitting in a 4" circle. 120 is more like a 6" circle.

My CVA wolf I can keep 5 rounds in 3" at 120yds and 6" at 150 and that is more marksman than gun as that also has ghost ring sights.

The shotgun it is more the gun accuracy than the marksmanship.

Also my Wolf with 100grs of 777 FFFg and 240gr .44 XTP has about 1500lb-ft at 120yds. My 870 only has something like 800lb-ft at 120yds, even though the 870 has about 2600 at the muzzle and the Wolf only 2400 at the muzzle.

Numbers somewhat approximate.

Of course so far I've taken two deer in two years at 75yds and 65yds. Most of where I hunt it is unlikely you'll have a shot past 100. In a few parts of the park it might be 125.

where I can use a rifle, no contest. The rifle gets taken (unless swamp in dorchester. Then the 870 with 00 is a good choice. Haven't had the occasion yet, though I've scouted out there).

Artillarylover

Nov 5, 2016
    Yes. Just counts towards the season you are in, not the device used. Though mark the device used on your harvest record.

I use my muzzleloader sometimes during gun season. My 870 with slugs is accurate to about 100-120yds. Max. Ghost ring sights and at 100yds it is hitting in a 4" circle. 120 is more like a 6" circle.

My CVA wolf I can keep 5 rounds in 3" at 120yds and 6" at 150 and that is more marksman than gun as that also has ghost ring sights.

The shotgun it is more the gun accuracy than the marksmanship.

Also my Wolf with 100grs of 777 FFFg and 240gr .44 XTP has about 1500lb-ft at 120yds. My 870 only has something like 800lb-ft at 120yds, even though the 870 has about 2600 at the muzzle and the Wolf only 2400 at the muzzle.

Numbers somewhat approximate.

Of course so far I've taken two deer in two years at 75yds and 65yds. Most of where I hunt it is unlikely you'll have a shot past 100. In a few parts of the park it might be 125.

where I can use a rifle, no contest. The rifle gets taken (unless swamp in dorchester. Then the 870 with 00 is a good choice. Haven't had the occasion yet, though I've scouted out there).

I didn't even think about foot lbs at ranch that's really interesting. I'm really happy to hear you can use it as I only own a 22 and a muzzelloader. Not planning to get a shot gun or another rifle for at least another year as I gotta save up funds

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    ML is fun to kill deer with, Ive shot a couple that just drop dead in their tracks. I didnt get to shoot one with my latest ML but its still fun to shoot.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    ML is fun to kill deer with, Ive shot a couple that just drop dead in their tracks. I didnt get to shoot one with my latest ML but its still fun to shoot.

If it is a hit in the vitals they usually don't go far. I am 2 for 2 on dropping fast with a ML. A ~180lb 8-pt went 25 yds before dropping on a double lung hit. Fawn I hit dropped where it was on a spine hit and didn't last much over a minute from bone fragments that went through its wind pipe and some of the arteries along the spine (hit just behind the base if the neck and tore a quarter entrance hole and an inch exit hole).

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    If it is a hit in the vitals they usually don't go far. I am 2 for 2 on dropping fast with a ML. A ~180lb 8-pt went 25 yds before dropping on a double lung hit. Fawn I hit dropped where it was on a spine hit and didn't last much over a minute from bone fragments that went through its wind pipe and some of the arteries along the spine (hit just behind the base if the neck and tore a quarter entrance hole and an inch exit hole).

:thumbsup: I had a couple good deer kills...one was a nice 8pt, I shot he turned and dropped. The other was a doe that dropped in her tracks and kicked her feet up in the air..:lol2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Drake1990$

Latest threads

Top Bottom