• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    People. Presumably with direct knowledge say that AAPD is different from Md norm , and is fairminded and reasonable.

In other Md juriisdiction you may not know you need a lawyer until after your firearms are melted down w/o your notification or prior knowledge.

bcbg

Nov 21, 2012
    Glen Burnie, MD
    Just an update, the AA police department was fairly quick to return the firearms back before the 14th, thankfully before this tragedy in Newtown. I had all the paperwork for where they were purchased legally which helped my case. I was able to obtain a gun safe the day before they were returned. I would have posted an update sooner but have been swamped.

midcountyg

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2009
    Preston, MD
    Just an update, the AA police department was fairly quick to return the firearms back before the 14th, thankfully before this tragedy in Newtown. I had all the paperwork for where they were purchased legally which helped my case. I was able to obtain a gun safe the day before they were returned. I would have posted an update sooner but have been swamped.

Glad to hear you got them back easily, and even more glad you had the foresight to purchase a safe and keep them secure.

bcbg

Nov 21, 2012
    Glen Burnie, MD
    No attorney was needed. After about a week I got some paperwork in the mail from them related to the case number. I filled out the paperwork which basically asked the same kind of questions you fill out when you attempt to purchase a firearm. There was a section to fill out regarding the fire arms, and if you had any documentation to prove ownership. In my case I had the original forms/receipts for the regulated fire arms. I sent in the paperwork along with my proof of ownership. A few days later they called me to say my background check was done and arrange a time for me to pick them up. I just had to show my ID and sign a form saying I received them.

JustCuz

Non-Expendable Citizen
    Aug 25, 2012
    Hanover, MD
    No attorney was needed. After about a week I got some paperwork in the mail from them related to the case number. I filled out the paperwork which basically asked the same kind of questions you fill out when you attempt to purchase a firearm. There was a section to fill out regarding the fire arms, and if you had any documentation to prove ownership. In my case I had the original forms/receipts for the regulated fire arms. I sent in the paperwork along with my proof of ownership. A few days later they called me to say my background check was done and arrange a time for me to pick them up. I just had to show my ID and sign a form saying I received them.

Excellent! This seems like a reasonable process, and I'm glad your property was returned to you. Congrats!

Maverick0313

Retired and loving it
    Jul 16, 2009
    Bridgeville, DE

Can I get a "whew!".....:party29:

HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    Is it common or even legal for the Police to bust someones door down because they posted a suicide threat on social media site?

mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    I don't know, you have to PROVE you own them? What if you (hypothetically) had the family's 100 year old .45 in the mix? It is doubtful you would have the receipts for that one...

Nothing says that the op would have to prove he owned them. This is conjecture on my part, but they might use the paperwork to establish that he owns them. If he didn't have paperwork they might check those ones to determine that they weren't stolen.

I had a friend who had some rifles stolen. The rifles were returned by the MDSP after the perpertrators were convicted. It took a year or two for him to get them back.

BeSwift

Appleseed SI/State Coord
    Apr 15, 2008
    Consider yourself VERY lucky.. I have a in AA CO friend that it took 18 mos, a lot of legal bills, and a trumped up charge and arrest (that was all dropped the day of trial) in order for him to get his property returned..

I just went through this. AACoPD will work with you, but it is a slow process and the holidays won't help. Just stay at it, and remember to stay nice. I dealt with a Cpl. Butler who was more than helpful.

My prayers to you & yours. Depression is no joke, and it can get messy. Be sure to get yourself a safe that she cannot access.

I speak from personal experience when dealing with depressed/bi-polar women.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom