• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bmartin3191

Oct 29, 2023
    Harford County
    My doctor's office is located inside the hospital. I have my MD CCW license. I know I can't CC in the hospital. When I arrive at the hospital parking lot, can I legally lock my loaded firearm in a safe tethered to the vehicle? Or, do I need to store my firearm, unloaded in the truck?

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    Concealed, unless there are metal detectors. But, that's just me. Lock it in the vehicle if it makes you feel better.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I knew liberals always claim that guns are on the streets but I never heard a claim before that they visit hospitals.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    272854337_1624485214567419_4449483704421900172_n.jpg

motorcoachdoug

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Only you can decide what is best for you in that situation and if the doc starts to ask do you have any firearms in your home, ask them about how is their sex life or how often they have sex per week and if they act shocked you would ask them that, tell them they do not ask about firearms in the home and you will not ask about their sex life or how often they get laid....

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    My doctor's office is located inside the hospital. I have my MD CCW license. I know I can't CC in the hospital. When I arrive at the hospital parking lot, can I legally lock my loaded firearm in a safe tethered to the vehicle? Or, do I need to store my firearm, unloaded in the truck?
    Yes, lock it up. That's legal.

SummitCnty

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Frederick County
    Only you can decide what is best for you in that situation and if the doc starts to ask do you have any firearms in your home, ask them about how is their sex life or how often they have sex per week and if they act shocked you would ask them that, tell them they do not ask about firearms in the home and you will not ask about their sex life or how often they get laid....
    Have not had a Doctor ask me that yet.

Think my kids Pediatrician asked that once and my wife gave them a proper response.

dbledoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 8, 2013
    Howard County
    The law is you can’t have it with you. Most physician office buildings attached to the hospital don’t have metal detectors.
    If memory serves my correctly, I believe the the one at Hopkins main does.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Only the emergency department at Hopkins has metal detectors.

However this isn't like carrying where there is a No Guns sign at a mall or movie theater. Those don't have force of law.

Since last October, your permit is not valid in a hospital. Their No Guns signs do have force of law.

Be guided accordingly.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Not a hospital but the Kaiser Permanente in Largo just installed metal detectors. Had to allow them to put my pocket knife in a locker for the 10 mins I was in the pharmacy.

Lafayette

Not that kind of doctor
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2021
    Maryland
    Not a hospital but the Kaiser Permanente in Largo just installed metal detectors. Had to allow them to put my pocket knife in a locker for the 10 mins I was in the pharmacy.
    Having seen the effects of Kaiser’s care on patients, I would argue that their “healthcare” is more of a risk to the health and well-being of their patients than a gun on their premises.

offthepaper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 7, 2007
    Harford County
    Only the emergency department at Hopkins has metal detectors.

However this isn't like carrying where there is a No Guns sign at a mall or movie theater. Those don't have force of law.

Since last October, your permit is not valid in a hospital. Their No Guns signs do have force of law.

Be guided accordingly.
    This is correct.
    I retired from JH after 47 years.
    Years ago, before the metal detectors were installed, there were a crazy number of "patients" who would come in carrying. They often fell out of their clothing or might show up on an X-ray.
    Had a few instances were shots were fired inside the hospital.
    Glad to be out of there.

LCPIWB

Needs an avatar
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 17, 2011
    Underneath the blimp, Md.
    As others have mentioned you need to judge your own situation.
    Personally...If I know that I will be stripping down for the doctor or they are sticking the stethoscope up my back, I will leave it locked in the vehicle as to not have an incident and having a doctor or nurse calling in the cops and causing a scene.. However if I went in and the doc is only looking at my feet, then maybe. If I am taking my son in and they are looking at him and not me, then keeping it on.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Before October 1, 2023, you perhaps risked "causing a scene." They might have demanded you leave the premises.

Now, your permit is simply not valid in a hospital or other medical facilities. You would face arrest and revocation of your permit.

So just be aware of the stakes.

dbledoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 8, 2013
    Howard County
    I know of at least 3 docs who were shot in their office or hospital…Know many more who escaped before being shot. Drugs, psychotic people, and in one instance a bad outcome.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    People fear for their lives in a doctor's office for some reason.

Perhaps people who are routinely carrying are wondering whether it's better to leave their gun unattended in a parked car, or have it safely and discreetly under their control.

How do you feel about leaving your gun in your car?

For myself, I've been in and out of hospitals quite a bit. Just spent most of this past weekend hanging around one. For what it's worth, I've been leaving my gun locked on the car since October 1. I may or may not have just carried it discreetly before that date.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom