• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chooks9

Bear with Arms
    Jan 3, 2013
    Abingdon
    I picked up a pretty nice M91 Finnish Mosin with a Tikka barrel at the Timonium Gun Show. I just read something that many M91s were barreled for 7.62x53R not the standard 7.62x54R. I know that in the grand scheme of guns, 1mm is a huge deal. However, this story contended that the x54R ammo is safe to shoot in these guns. Is this correct?

Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    I would like to know the answer to this as well. I know some Finnish rifles can shoot both because there was so much Russian ammunition on hand. I'm not sure about the m91's.

jodavk

Nov 30, 2010
    I believe that the D stamp on a Finn'd M91 means that the chamber was very slightly reamed to allow for the D166 heavy ball (203 grains maybe); slightly longer bullet. I have fired plenty of milsurp spam can ammo in my D stamped M91s with no problems.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    My 41 VKT M39 has the D on it and I'm shooting nothing but surplus through it.

Yours did not have an import stamp with the caliber on it?

chooks9

Bear with Arms
    Jan 3, 2013
    Abingdon
    I have no A, B, C, or D stamp on my barrel. It just has the 'T' in the upside-down triangle, SA military markings, and a 1942 barrel mfg. date. I would only be shooting 148gr x54R ammo from spam cans, so i'm not too concerned...but I still don't want a Mosin bolt permanently attached to my face...

chooks9

Bear with Arms
    Jan 3, 2013
    Abingdon
    My 41 VKT M39 has the D on it and I'm shooting nothing but surplus through it.

Yours did not have an import stamp with the caliber on it?

It does have an extremely faint CAI stamp on the barrel that says 7.62x54R. I'm not the most trusting of CAI...I have owned some stuff they sold that I wouldn't sell to an enemy.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    For what it's worth, Wikipedia says shooting 54 through a 53 bore can be dangerous and could mess up the rifling.

A website on the internet shouldn't be needed to figure out that shooting a high-powered rifle bullet through a smaller-diameter bore is dangerous to one's existence.

Sirex