• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kazan182

Aug 3, 2011
    Hello folks...

Picked up this Tikka M91 dated 1926 on the shank. What I am trying to confirm is the receiver. I was told it was a 1914 Izhevsk Receiver. The receiver has the Imperial Eagle but with what looks like could be two crylic letters under it. The letter appear to be "I L" or something like that. I have found similar markings on other receivers on 762x54r.net but can't find the exact one. The mag/trigger guard has an Izhevsk mark on it. I have included several other images in case they would assist in an ID. I can't find any other markings on the receiver. Thanks

Attachments

• DSCF5437_resize.jpg
      DSCF5437_resize.jpg
      90.3 KB · Views: 203
    • DSCF5438_resize.jpg
      DSCF5438_resize.jpg
      92.4 KB · Views: 291
    • DSCF5441_resize.jpg
      DSCF5441_resize.jpg
      79.8 KB · Views: 203
    • DSCF5446_resize.jpg
      DSCF5446_resize.jpg
      93.1 KB · Views: 295
    • DSCF5449_resize.jpg
      DSCF5449_resize.jpg
      52 KB · Views: 207
    • DSCF5457_resize.jpg
      DSCF5457_resize.jpg
      80.5 KB · Views: 204
    • DSCF5462_resize.jpg
      DSCF5462_resize.jpg
      64.9 KB · Views: 296
    • DSCF5464_resize.jpg
      DSCF5464_resize.jpg
      58.8 KB · Views: 290
    • DSCF5472_resize.jpg
      DSCF5472_resize.jpg
      59.4 KB · Views: 286
    • DSCF5479 EDIT_resize.jpg
      DSCF5479 EDIT_resize.jpg
      54.1 KB · Views: 202

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    If you are trying to confirm that the date of the receiver is 1914 you will have to take the rifle apart and look at the underside of the tang (the end of the receiver) that is where it will be stamped. BTW if you didn't already know, the screws on M91 barrel bands are reversed, meaning left to tighten right to loosen. Nice looking Finn also

kazan182

Aug 3, 2011
    If you are trying to confirm that the date of the receiver is 1914 you will have to take the rifle apart and look at the underside of the tang (the end of the receiver) that is where it will be stamped. BTW if you didn't already know, the screws on M91 barrel bands are reversed, meaning left to tighten right to loosen. Nice looking Finn also

I was going to disassemble later because I have to remove the trigger before I can get it out of the stock. The rear barrel band will not slide off since this rifle has the sling swivels in escutcheons with round holes...won't pass over the swivel. The band will not open far enough to slide off preventing me from lifting the receiver out of the stock. I could try to remove the front swivel but it looks like it would argue with me. Don't think it's been removed in many moons. So I will have to pop the pin on the trigger; no biggie. Yes, I found out about screws after getting the rifle.

Thanks.

I was able to get the swivel off easier than I thought. Looked like it may have been welded but it was just crusty. It is a 1914 receiver. The barrel has markings on the bottom which I will photograph before putting it back together after a light cleaning. This trigger is nice...

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Sweet! An early un-stepped Tikka. Were you able to find it locally or did you have to do a bit of long distance searching? With everyone here getting advanced degrees in Finn Mosins the local competition has made it tough to snag goodies within easy driving distance.
    There's a nice bit of info on Tuco's MosinNagant.net on Finnish M91s. Good reference material.

kazan182

Aug 3, 2011
    Sweet! An early un-stepped Tikka. Were you able to find it locally or did you have to do a bit of long distance searching? With everyone here getting advanced degrees in Finn Mosins the local competition has made it tough to snag goodies within easy driving distance.
    There's a nice bit of info on Tuco's MosinNagant.net on Finnish M91s. Good reference material.

A guy on GB had this rifle and a M39 for sale. Both were up for auction twice and did not sell so I made an offer and he grabbed it and ran. Saved a few bucks on shipping also.

Here's the 39...

Attachments

• DSCF5351_resize.jpg
      DSCF5351_resize.jpg
      98.2 KB · Views: 175
    • DSCF5355_resize.jpg
      DSCF5355_resize.jpg
      94 KB · Views: 247
    • DSCF5359_resize.jpg
      DSCF5359_resize.jpg
      75.8 KB · Views: 256
    • DSCF5360_resize.jpg
      DSCF5360_resize.jpg
      36.9 KB · Views: 239
    • DSCF5372_resize.jpg
      DSCF5372_resize.jpg
      103.9 KB · Views: 166
    • DSCF5374_resize.jpg
      DSCF5374_resize.jpg
      116.6 KB · Views: 177
    • DSCF5382_resize.jpg
      DSCF5382_resize.jpg
      73.6 KB · Views: 170

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Very nice Sako! I've noticed M39s climbing more in price than almost any other Finn recently (M28/30s being the exception). I'd say the street price for a VG M39 is north of $300 today w. rare variants selling above $400.
    You're gonna love the two items I picked up over the weekend. I never expected to get either one with my below market bids but the live bidding was sooo soft that these two lots went to me anyway. Watched someone at the same auction get a Finn M91 for $172 w. the premium and a decent looking Mauser M96 sold for $690! Think so many have shelled out so much for ammo recently that funds for firearm acquisitions have dried up to a degree. Didn't help that the auction house had no clue as to what they were selling. My two lots were marked "Russian 1891 Mauser 7.62 Cal" & "Russian Model 1891 Carbine Barrel Rifle". Might make a good game to have everyone guess what they actually are! You'll be esp. surprised on the "carbine".

Sirex