• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    VTX - was there a specific location for the bore grading stamp? I've looked all over mine, except to remove the barrel from the stock, and have not found a 0 thru 3 stamp.

For the Civil Guard issued rifles it will appear as a Roman Numeral 1-3 around the top buttplate screw. At regular intervals, the rifle was turned into the depot to get inspected. The bore was graded and stamped with the condition stamp at the 12 o'clock position of the screw. The next time it was graded the stamp was placed at the 3 o'clock position. I have several Civil Guard rifles with three stamps-haven't seen one with four yet. When I get home I'll try to post some pics.

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    OK- as promised:

The following description is from a friend in Finland who translated some official documents and posted it on Ted's site (7.62x54r.net). I'm copy/pasting here.

Again- this is for Finnish Civil Guard issued rifles only. NOT Finnish Army.

Civil Guard models (M24, M28, M28/30, M39 Sk.Y contract)
    Army models (M91, M27, M39 - not Sk.Y contract)

----------snip-----------

The butt plate marking program was started in 1932 and it was all about bore condition evaluation. "Technical inspections", as called by the regulations, were carried out by 2nd military instructor (not sure about the translation, it's "2. sotilasohjaaja" in Finnish) in three-year intervals. That is the first check was planned to take place in 1932-34, the second in 1935-37, the third in 1938-40 and the fourth in 1941-43. Proof of the first inspection (in 1932-34) was stamped above the butt plate screw (to 12 o'clock when looking along the rifle's axis) and the following inspection marks were stamped to 3 o'clock (1935-37), 6 o'clock (1938-40) and 9 o'clock (1941-43). Evaluation scale for serviceable rifles varied from I-III. Condition rating 0 was never used since an unissued bore was always dropped to category I when delivered to a guardsman from district headquarters' weapon warehouse. Rifles with IV grade bore were considered unserviceable and needed rebarreling.

--------------------------

I've added a picture of a buttplate from one of my M24's to show you the stampings. It appears my M24 maintained grade two throughout it's service time. Not bad for a rifle that was issued for at least eight years before the first test ;)

Attachments

• DSC08176.jpg
      DSC08176.jpg
      78.8 KB · Views: 88

Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    OK- as promised:

The following description is from a friend in Finland who translated some official documents and posted it on Ted's site (7.62x54r.net). I'm copy/pasting here.

Again- this is for Finnish Civil Guard issued rifles only. NOT Finnish Army.

Civil Guard models (M24, M28, M28/30, M39 Sk.Y contract)
    Army models (M91, M27, M39 - not Sk.Y contract)

Thank You h2u!

Apparently the specimen I have is Finnish Army (boxed SA mark) if that is correct. Hence, no barrel grading. Thought it was time to visit the eye Doc again.

Attachments

• 1944 Mosin-Nagant M39.JPG
      1944 Mosin-Nagant M39.JPG
      99.7 KB · Views: 85

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    Thank You h2u!

Apparently the specimen I have is Finnish Army (boxed SA mark) if that is correct. Hence, no barrel grading. Thought it was time to visit the eye Doc again.

It appears you have an Army issued M39 by the combo of rear sight base, arsenal, year, and serial.
    The boxed [SA] is a Finnish Army property stamp. As part of the peace treaty signed with Russia following the Winter War, the Finnish Civil Guard was disbanded. Most of their weapons became Army property and thus got the [SA] stamp as well. The M24 whose buttplate I pictured above, is also marked with the boxed [SA]. So as you can see, weapons with that stamp may have been Civil Guard firearms. Keep your eyes peeled! ;)

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Very interesting. I had to run and dig out my M28-30 to check.

There are no such marks on the buttplate of my M28-30 Civil Guard rifle. There is a 69 stamp, near the top of the buttplate, on the butt itself, not on top near the heel screw. Do you think it's a later replacement? Any idea what 69 means?

Mine has the SA stamp on the left side of the barrel, just above the woodline, just in front of the receiver. There isn't a full box, just a thin vertical line before and after the SA.

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    Very interesting. I had to run and dig out my M28-30 to check.

There are no such marks on the buttplate of my M28-30 Civil Guard rifle. There is a 69 stamp, near the top of the buttplate, on the butt itself, not on top near the heel screw. Do you think it's a later replacement? Any idea what 69 means?

Mine has the SA stamp on the left side of the barrel, just above the woodline, just in front of the receiver. There isn't a full box, just a thin vertical line before and after the SA.

Poorly stamped [SA].
    What are the last two digits of your serial? 69 by chance?
    Generally the Civil Guard stamped the last two digits of serial on the butt of the rifle - called a rack number. It was for ease of ID when the rifle was in its "cubby" :D

I'll try to post some pics of the rack stamp later this evening when I get home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom