• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RR917

Jun 22, 2013
    Whats the going rate for getting fingerprints for HQL in MD?
    76$ seems kind of high but where I moved from it was 20$ at the local PD.

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    The two places I know of are 65 each.
    essential support services, they also do etf prints if you want to do nfa stuff
    absolute investigative services

dehos

Mar 23, 2024
    Glen Burnie
    I was finger printed for my HQL and I paid about $70 for them. Does anyone know of I take wear and carry if I need to pay to be finger printed again?

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    I was finger printed for my HQL and I paid about $70 for them. Does anyone know of I take wear and carry if I need to pay to be finger printed again?
    If you got your Wear and Carry first then HQL is free and no need for fingerprints for HQL. If you get your HQL first then you have to pay for both permits and separate fingerprints for each.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia

Yes I believe so. If you had gotten your permit first, you could’ve gotten your HQL for free and no additional prints.
    Someone else beat me to it, sorry about that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The going rate price range is between $50 - $75 . Probably the absolute cheapest is MVA , but very long lead time for appointments.

I paid $ 65 . Because they were relatively close , and walk in m-f 9 to 5 . ( Walk in was key for me , as my time windows were brief and unpredictable. )

Many gun specific venues , will only actually have Livescan available when a Class is being given . Security Agencies have a steady client flow , mostly for day care workers , church volunteers, etc , and will offer m- f service.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    And for the benefit of RR917 , and anyone else reading this thread :

Do NOT get Fingerprints for HQL .

If Carry Permit is vaguely in your future , proceed directly to W&C Permit , and save $150 .

As related above :

W&C Permit will also get you a No Charge HQL .

HQL first , you will have to do everything over again for W&C later .

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The actual doing takes the same time as anywhere . But in the imeadate post Bruen Era, appointments were booked months out .

RR917

Jun 22, 2013
    Thanks for the info guys, it looks like I will hold off on the HQL in lieu of the Carry Permit. I’ve just been wanting something lately and the HQL seemed like an “easier” avenue being exempt from the training requirement.
    Ultimately, I would rather not go through redundancies, so it looks like I will be waiting a little while longer.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Thanks for the info guys, it looks like I will hold off on the HQL in lieu of the Carry Permit. I’ve just been wanting something lately and the HQL seemed like an “easier” avenue being exempt from the training requirement.
    Ultimately, I would rather not go through redundancies, so it looks like I will be waiting a little while longer.
    Depending on your situation and what your "exemption" is you may also be exempt from some Wear and Carry requirements. The best single source for information about the application requirements and procedures including a step by step how to apply is on the Maryland Shall Issue web site.

Link to the "MSI Wear and Carry Permit Guide" (see "Who is exempt from the training?") and while you are over there go ahead and join MSI and also send them a donation because they are all volunteer and actively filing lawsuits against Maryland's unconstitutional anti gun laws:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    What Blacksmith said .

Review the Exemptions for Training for each on MSI website ( or ask at the Booth at tomorrow's gun show ) .

If you are W&C Exempt , apply for W&C as soon as you can get your fingerprints .

If HQL Exempt , but not W&C , do your personal math to figure if it's worth $150 * to you * to purchase a late model handgun 6 weeks sooner .

RR917

Jun 22, 2013
    Depending on your situation and what your "exemption" is you may also be exempt from some Wear and Carry requirements. The best single source for information about the application requirements and procedures including a step by step how to apply is on the Maryland Shall Issue web site.

Link to the "MSI Wear and Carry Permit Guide" (see "Who is exempt from the training?") and while you are over there go ahead and join MSI and also send them a donation because they are all volunteer and actively filing lawsuits against Maryland's unconstitutional anti gun laws:
    Thank you for the link. Im a current permit holder in two states, however the requirement for those states have changed since I took the permit course. As such, the *certified* training I have is NRA basic pistol safety and is over 10 years old . The law is vague on what courses are “approved by the secretary” but I would doubt this will help. I do not have any other exemptions.

Its not ok, but I’ve been through the hurdles before, and they are designed to make the people on the fence not pursue the permit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom