• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    Not to be a smart ass, but why are you hung up on length? Are you planning on carrying it?
    You have great suggestions above. Don't cheap out on a can, you will be sorry later. $400+ stamp will get you a number of great cans. Suppressors are almost a lifetime buy. They are not easy to sell on the used market because of the stamp.
    Just hate the look of a longer suppressor hanging out off a rifle. That is probably the main reason I have never bought one.
    I don't plan to cheap out price wise, buy once, cry once. I have no problem paying for the correct tool to do the job. Part of the job is not adding a 1/2 of a foot hanging off the end of my barrel.
    I have no need for hollywood quiet or to hear the pin hit the case, I just want the smallest size that will "tame" the sound of .22 at 970-1070 FPS.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I haven't been paying a lot of attention to this thread, but want to mention there are more things to consider when it comes to .22lr cans. Serviceability(how difficult is it to clean all that .22 crap out of it), repeatability(will zero change every time you screw it on), and usability(actual sound deadening). It's not a one function deal. Length, other than weight, should be your last concern, IMO.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I ended up buying a CGS Hydra aluminum can in 2016 before the fingerprints and photo kicked in. That was all that was left. Cans just flew off the shelves back then. I love that it's light weight (barely feel it on a hand gun) but it can be a PITA to clean. I's say get the Oculus or the Sparrow or the Dead Air Mask.

20170714_141732(1).jpg

Slackdaddy

Jan 1, 2019
    I haven't been paying a lot of attention to this thread, but want to mention there are more things to consider when it comes to .22lr cans. Serviceability(how difficult is it to clean all that .22 crap out of it), repeatability(will zero change every time you screw it on), and usability(actual sound deadening). It's not a one function deal. Length, other than weight, should be your last concern, IMO.
    Yeah,, Alum is a deal breaker. I also decided to concentrate on a .22 can that will work best for my rifles shooting Subsonic and SV and not try to get a "does everything" can.
    I am some what narrowing it down to the "Ocelot Micro" , a 3.5" Ti and Stainless Steel can.
    Of course Silencer shop and Silencer Central do not carry this,, so I am on my own.

Trust (wife and I) or individual? as a trust I will have to fess up to what I am buying.
    I have NO clue how this all works purchasing from a manufacture?

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Yeah,, Alum is a deal breaker. I also decided to concentrate on a .22 can that will work best for my rifles shooting Subsonic and SV and not try to get a "does everything" can.
    I am some what narrowing it down to the "Ocelot Micro" , a 3.5" Ti and Stainless Steel can.
    Of course Silencer shop and Silencer Central do not carry this,, so I am on my own.

Trust (wife and I) or individual? as a trust I will have to fess up to what I am buying.
    I have NO clue how this all works purchasing from a manufacture?
    You are going to have to have a local class 3 do the transfer and form 4. You may be looking at an additional $100+. Some dealers charge much more than that for a NFA transfer.
    If you are dead set on this can, call them and find out if they have any dealers in MD.

Slackdaddy

Jan 1, 2019
    You are going to have to have a local class 3 do the transfer and form 4. You may be looking at an additional $100+. Some dealers charge much more than that for a NFA transfer.
    If you are dead set on this can, call them and find out if they have any dealers in MD.
    In light of that info,,,,, I may just be getting what ever can they have i stock

Any MD dealers that "Stock" suppressors outside of "Silencer central" or Silencer shop" dealers??

Last edited:

Slackdaddy

Jan 1, 2019
    How does one determine repeatability before owning it,, not something listed in the description.

Length (assuming the cans are the same dia) pretty much determines Db drop. Excluding monocores, baffles pretty much operate on the same principle,, no one manufacture has a secret design,,
    Again, I have never owned one,, but have researched in great detail the last week or so.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    How does one determine repeatability before owning it,, not something listed in the description.

Length (assuming the cans are the same dia) pretty much determines Db drop. Excluding monocores, baffles pretty much operate on the same principle,, no one manufacture has a secret design,,
    Again, I have never owned one,, but have researched in great detail the last week or so.
    Reviews, mostly. That and knowing people with first hand experience.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Length is not directly related to sound between brands. There are 3" suppressors that are quieter than 4" ones. How it works internally is more important. Yes, within the same brand/model a longer suppressor will be quieter if everything else is equal.
    There's a lot of variables in play. Back-pressure is a consideration that impacts sound, etc. That is to say, that 3" can might be quieter than a 4" can because the 3" can has a ton of back-pressure, whereas the 4" one does not.

I have a Sparrow that basically lives on my rimfire NV rifle. I use my Tac65 (aluminum core) on everything else. The cost savings on a used can for rimfire are just not enough to justify the aggravation and diminished choice.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA

There are a lot of different parameters to consider, and even then most all manufacturers embellish their numbers to a degree. Suppressor range demos are extremely helpful in deciding what to buy, being in the recent past it could take a year to get one through a form 4 and see how it actually does on your stuff. I've done a couple range demos with Lanco Tactical up here, own a few and have attended some suppressor shoots to get an idea of how they sound and compare.

Each kinda has it's own personality and positives/negatives. The baffles do change things and can sound different between different cans, and the difference may change weapon to weapon. Some like My Oculus with cone baffles seems to have a slightly louder, but deeper tone than the K baffles in my Mask. The K baffles also have practically no FRP where cone baffles have a little, and a Sparrow's monocore has a massive FRP. While it is true longer cans tend to be quieter, it isn't universal, and it does matter what they are on. One thing that sold me on the Oculus is that the short 3" configuration doesn't sound all that much louder than a full size Sparrow ON A 16" RIFLE, and is actually quieter for the first round or two. Of course on a 4" handgun, there is no comparison, the sparrow is quieter than the Oculus in short, but louder than the Oculus in long. There is also the consideration of backpressure, the Oculus tends to keep actions a little cleaner and less blowback than my Mask, and the Oculus in short config really flows freely, and is excellent on anything with an 8" or longer barrel.

There are also some like the Q el camino that is about 6" long, but sounded a little louder than the Mask. Then there was the SiCo switchback, I went into the demo expecting to buy one, being it has 3 length configurations instead of the Oculus's 2, but turned out it was less useful, the short config was really loud, not hearing safe on a handgun, and much louder than the Oculus in short config. In medium config it was on par with the Oculus, and in long config sounded good, perhaps a hair better than the oculus, but about the same as the Mask, but longer and far more complicated.

As far as accuracy goes, the best I have tried is my DA Mask, almost no shift in group shooting with or without a can, and the group will be at least as good, and possibly better than unsuppressed. Keyed baffles helps keep them consistent, but some like the Mask with keyed baffles don't key into the tube or mount, some make sure to line them up with the logo on the tube to keep it consistent, but for me it doesn't seem to matter. My Oculus though, that does sound a bit better lining up all the baffle clips in both sections, only the base section has a key between the baffles and tube, the extension baffles key together, but don't key to the tube. IMO you really can't go wrong with the current major brands, DA, Rugged, SiCo, Griffin, they all make good stuff, but consider the features, and pick what works.

A couple comparisons, although most manufacturers actual numbers are kinda BS

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    There's a lot of variables in play. Back-pressure is a consideration that impacts sound, etc. That is to say, that 3" can might be quieter than a 4" can because the 3" can has a ton of back-pressure, whereas the 4" one does not.
    That was my point. Length isn't the do-all-end-all spec.
    Clipped baffles are quieter than non-clipped. The new 3d printed cores are quieter than symmetric baffles (though I don't think anyone is doing that for 22LR since they are impossible to clean.) There is more to it than just length.

Slackdaddy

Jan 1, 2019
    That was my point. Length isn't the do-all-end-all spec.
    Clipped baffles are quieter than non-clipped. The new 3d printed cores are quieter than symmetric baffles (though I don't think anyone is doing that for 22LR since they are impossible to clean.) There is more to it than just length.
    Girth ??

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    SOMD,, Calvert.
    My travels take me in PG, Charles, St Marys, Southern AA.
    But if someone has something,, I can drive.

I now remember why I never got a can before,,, PIA
    Dude! Just go to PSG, and setup an account with Silencer Shop. It’s real easy, and they will help you. It’s right off of Dalrymple and 2, by the liquor store. S and S Guns also sells them, but I’m not sure if they utilize eForms. PSG has a kiosk, so one and done. I have the Sparrow, am waiting on the Mask and seriously considering either the Oculus or wait on the CAT/sr/22. The Oculus is probably your best option. It’s supposed to be one of, if not, the quietest rimfire suppressor made. Here is the Sparrow on my Ruger Mk IV, to get an idea of how big these three are. They’re all almost exactly the same circumference and length. You really don’t notice 6oz. And the Oculus, in short configuration, is half this
    IMG_3719.jpeg

Last edited:

Slackdaddy

Jan 1, 2019
    Dude! Just go to PSG, and setup an account with Silencer Shop. It’s real easy, and they will help you. It’s right off of Dalrymple and 2, by the liquor store. S and S Guns also sells them, but I’m not sure if they utilize eForms. PSG has a kiosk, so one and done. I have the Sparrow, am waiting on the Mask and seriously considering either the Oculus or wait on the CAT/sr/22. The Oculus is probably your best option. It’s supposed to be one of, if not, the quietest rimfire suppressor made. Here is the Sparrow on my Ruger Mk IV, to get an idea of how big these three are. They’re all almost exactly the same circumference and length. You really don’t notice 6oz. And the Oculus, in short configuration, is half this
    View attachment 459706
    Yeah, I will be calling PSG when the open on Wednesday and talking to Dave., seeing if they have any inventory or are dealers besides S.S.
    Problem with silencer shop is they are OOS on my 1st choice, they dont carry my 2nd choice, and are OOS on my 3rd.
    If I am paying the tax money and jumping through hoops,, I am not going to buy something that is not exactly what I want.

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    Yeah, I will be calling PSG when the open on Wednesday and talking to Dave., seeing if they have any inventory or are dealers besides S.S.
    Problem with silencer shop is they are OOS on my 1st choice, they dont carry my 2nd choice, and are OOS on my 3rd.
    If I am paying the tax money and jumping through hoops,, I am not going to buy something that is not exactly what I want.
    What are your choices?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom