• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shocka04

Jan 17, 2012
    Calvert County
    Finally saw my first deer of the season, a fawn. Anyone else having this kind of luck? I've been out for the early ML season and now firearm season and havent seen a thing until the fawn yesterday. Just about everyone I know has shot at least one. I might have to start looking into bow hunting just to extend my season.

nobones

Dec 2, 2009
    Calvert
    My first time out in this County was Saturday and all I saw was a dog. Jumped a doe later in the am when I went for a walk. I should have known better than to hunt a very low area after all the rain we had. I plan to hunt higher next time, maybe this weekend. I do think they are stung a little where I was since bow and ML seasons. I am going to be on a mission to find more private land soon. Good luck

It's my experience that deer don't like to walk through swamps. I have one area that is great when dry, but nothing comes through when wet.

Look for higher trails that the deer will use to get through the wet areas. It does not have to be especially wide, just dry. You'll see their prints. The dry land where the muck begins is often pretty good.

Just be aware that if you shoot one, it will run into the swamp and die. Never fails.

shocka04

Jan 17, 2012
    Calvert County
    Got a decent size doe, nothing to brag about but should get a good amount of meat from it.

Guess I need to make a post about never getting a buck and maybe it will happen to. I've been watching the MD Hunter FB and I've never personally seen bucks as big as the ones posted on there

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I have yet to see a legal deer while hunting. I see deer after legal shooting light, they're the wrong sex, or it's during the wrong season. :sad20: I get a perfect broadside shot at a doe during squirrel season. Another doe during antler only rifle season. Now that the WMA I go to is archery, doe only, I'll see bucks all day and no does :mad54:

llkoolkeg

Hairy Flaccid Member
    I have had no luck and seen nothing the last two times out but I put a bead on a buck on opening day of muzzleloader and just flat-out blew it.

Same thing last year- I put a bead on several doe but never pulled the trigger because I was waiting on a bigger one or a buck.

Season before that, I got busted by deer at close range, once after nodding off and once while I had my other gun in my hand venting processed coffee.

It's pretty embarrassing to admit my lack of both luck and success hunting but at least I've met some cool people and experienced some beautiful sunrises and sunsets out there.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Congrats to those who are still bagging Bambi.

Went out yesterday evening. After 36 hours of snow on the ground, I saw one set of deer tracks. From the woods, to the corn, then to a bedding area.

One stinking deer. Times are lean.

I think they all moved to the farmers fields for corn and soy bean left-overs.

shocka04

Jan 17, 2012
    Calvert County
    Guess you don't have a problem getting deer than.

The property I'm hunting at has a field in front of the woods which used to get 20+ deer daily during the summer. Now I'm lucky if I see 1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom