• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    I finally got around to taking some pictures of a second P75 I bought from Edelweiss arms, this time with what I call a Type 2 slide:

What in the yates is a Type 2 slide you ask? Actually, you probably aren't asking that but I'm gonna tell you anyways. Somewhere in the 12,xxx serial number range (11478 is a Type 1 and 13110 is a Type 2) they decided to start simplifying the design of the slide. Whether they did it to save money, time, both or just because they wanted to I have no idea. What I do know is, they did it.
    Ok.....what did they do? Below is a right side view of a Type 1 slide (top) and a Type 2 (bottom):

What we are looking at is the contour stamped into the frame that starts below the section port and runs forward and underneath the serial number. On the earlier slide, it is more "elegant" (for lack of a better word) and it has a gentle radius both at the top where it transitions into the thinner part of the slide above and at the bottom where it transitions into the wider, lower part of the slide that rides over the frame rail.
    On the later slide, that contour is a much simpler flat surface which has relatively sharp edges where it transitions. It almost looks like the entire thing is ground into the slide rather then stamped into it. For all I know it is as I'm no expert on how these things were made. Whatever the case, it has a more industrial, no nonsense look. This same contour is still seen on the Sig Sauer pistols made today.

When we look at the left side, the change is even more obvious:

The way the light is hitting the contour being discussed really illustrates just how much this area was simplified. BUT, notice that the grasping serrations remain unchanged on the Type 2; both slides have 19 serrations.

Later, an even more simplified Type 3 slide was adopted which dropped the number of serrations down to 12. The Type 3 serrations are more aggressive too for a better grip when charging the pistol. At the same time, other changes were adopted all of which were cosmetic in nature. Switchover to the Type 3 took place somewhere between serial numbers 19205 - 22631 and, to my knowledge, there were no other changes to the 220 slide until the all milled version was adopted. Unfortunately, I do not currently have an example of a 220 with a Type 3 slide but I do have a P6 (German Police issue 225) which is essentially nnothing more than a shortened 220. It'll do for comparison purposes:

It is important to note that as far as I know, there were never any changes mechanically speaking. All changes were aesthetic only. Also, as far as I can tell, the barrels, frames, recoil assemblies, everything on a Type 1, 2 or 3 is absolutely identical other than the slides.

From above, the Type 1 and 2 are identical:

When the Type 3 was adopted, the humps were omitted and replaced with the simple flat area we typically see on a 220.

While we're at it, let's look at a few other things on this Type 2 P75:

The holster that it came with is identical to the one that came with my earlier pistol save for the rivet pattern on the back. That probably has less to do with a design change and more to do with the fact that a different contractor made it. This particular example was made in 1976:

As with the earlier pistol, the rails show nearly zero wear:

I did not clean the Automatenfett (fancy-dancy Swiss grease) off of this Swisstol prior to photography. This way, I have a record of how it was lubed up when imported from the promised land.
    Lots of pretty grease on and behind the locking block:

Along the bottom of the breach block/slide insert:

In and around the front bushing:

On the hammer/firing bits:

On the feed ramp and in the chamber:

And in the bore itself:

While I couldn't capture it in pictures, everything on the inside is slick, apparently because everything has a light coating of that beautiful Swiss grease. I wonder how that stuff would do in my Honda engine......just kidding.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    Continuing with this Swisstol, Here are the date codes inside the grips:

On the left, we see one dated April of 1978 that was most likely mounted when it left the factory. The one on the right was probably a replacement as it is dated July 1981. When I say "April" and "July" that is an assumption based on the number of pips surrounding the year. I could be wrong and, in fact, I usually am, but I don't think so in this instance. Just like on many Swiss rifles, sometimes you find a troop tag affixed. On the rifles, it's under the butt plate. On the P75, it's found here, under the grips. This one doesn't have a troop tag but I'll make sure my next one does.

Here, we see some remnants of Automatenfett at the rear of the trigger bar:

When these things left the factory, this whole area was slathered in grease. Here are two pretty much new Browning BDA's from 1977 showing what I am talking about:

For whatever reason, the left side of the mechanism never got all that:

The above picture is of the same BDA's but I would assume it is germane to the P75 as well.

Someone asked me about the import mark. It is cleanly done on the bottom of the dust cover:

Yeah, it blows that it's gotta be on there but at least it's first class workmanship.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Truly awesome thread! And thank you for the view of that magnificent Sig!!!!
    Yes, educational, and a treatise that really benefits from forum thread structure where there are interspersed interactions with readers, and the ability to share continuing bits of information. Don't get this in magazine write-ups. Combloc, thanks once again for sharing another one of your acquisitions/objects of passion.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    You are most welcome. Thank you guys for taking the time to read it! I'll be posting more in this thread, comparing the P75 to both the Type 1 as imported by Browning and the P49 (SIG 210). I have cleaning kits for the P49 and P75 to post too because, you know, it's Swiss so we gotta' change cleaning kits when we change Swisstols, even if they are both 9mm.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom