• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ThunderGunder

Jan 1, 2013
    When the panic in '13 started in i purchased 2 Billet Seekins lowers an off brand billet S.W.A.T. lower.

Well, cyber Monday got the best of me this year and I decided to finally put one together.

Parts list:
    Seekins Billet Lower
    Seekins Billet Upper
    Seekins Billet Mag Release Button
    Seekins SP Safety Selector Kit (FDE)
    Seekins 14.5" SS Barrel in .223 Wylde Chamber
    KNS Gen ST Non-Rotating Pin Set (FDE)
    Elftmann Tactical Match Trigger with Flat Trigger
    JP Silent Captured Buffer
    Primary Weapon System Enhanced Buffer Tube
    Phase 5 FatMan Muzzle Brake
    Mission First Tactical Battle Link (FDE)
    ERGO Enhanced Sure Grip (FDE)
    Underground Tactical Enhanced Takedown/Pivot Pin Set
    Hera Arms IRS 15" Keymod Handgaurd
    Syrac Ordnance Gen II Gas Block
    VooDoo Tactical Midlength Melonite Gas Tube
    BCM Charging Handle
    FailZero NiB BCG
    Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6x24
    Vortex Cantilever 30mm Mount
    (all the little pins and springs i need too)

I believe that's everything. It should all be here by the end of next week, even the scope. They are on national back order for the next 3-4 months but I found a place that had 2 in stock for the same Cyber Monday price as Optics Planet. The only thing that was on back order is the gas tube, but that should ship the end of next week.

I know there is a lot of stuff that isnt necessary, and that i could have spent a hell of a lot less money. But Its very seldom that i cheep out on anything, and always try to buy the best of the best when i can.

Let me know what you guys think of the list.

Last edited:

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Building your first AR can be intimidating. The reward after it's completed is well worth the work and stress of the "First" build.

I have heard mixed reviews on two of items you plan to use.

ThunderGunder

Jan 1, 2013
    Building your first AR can be intimidating. The reward after it's completed is well worth the work and stress of the "First" build.

I have heard mixed reviews on two of items you plan to use.

Personally I do not find it intimidating at all. :innocent0 Everything has a job, if its not working something isnt doing its job.

This stuff here is alot more intimidating! And still pretty freakin easy if you follow the book.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    I hate taking the chance of damaging something I have spent my fun money on. I had to get over it and build the upper for my newest AR. I had completed several lowers but worried about installing the barrel correctly.

Attachments

• 20150926_140900.jpg
      20150926_140900.jpg
      80.4 KB · Views: 463

ThunderGunder

Jan 1, 2013
    How can you screw it up? insert barrel with pin in the correct location. Screw on barrel nut, torque to spec. Am i missing anything? Ive watched the youtube videos over and over. Doesnt seem like anything special to me. My only concern is head spacing. But thats what gauges are for.

K.C.Dean

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Buds Creek
    I love the reward of doing things for myself. I've built two so far. However I purchased a new BCG that turned out to be bad. It cost me money. The hole in the BCG where the gas key is was not drilled. The BCG was a NIB and was not cheap. I got it replaced but it should have never been sold in that condition. Good luck with your build! Let us know how everthing turns out.

ThunderGunder

Jan 1, 2013
    I love the reward of doing things for myself..

:party29:

Same here. Not to mention, I know exactly how it was put together; right or wrong. And if it was wrong, I have no one to blame but my self! I simply do not trust very many people to work on my stuff.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    How can you screw it up? insert barrel with pin in the correct location. Screw on barrel nut, torque to spec. Am i missing anything? Ive watched the youtube videos over and over. Doesnt seem like anything special to me. My only concern is head spacing. But thats what gauges are for.

Trust me I can screw it up. I work full time as a crane operator and have screwed up a simple oil change.:sad20:

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Sounds like a nice parts list.

I am no expert (I've assembled two lowers and one upper which all function properly, and that's the extent of my experience building ARs) but I would offer this advice:

Like everything else in life, assembling an AR is infinitely easier to do properly when you have the right tools. In addition to your parts list there, I would recommend buying:

A reaction rod type of device for installing and torquing the barrel. The Geiselle one is expensive, but Brownell's has a version that's $30 cheaper and works well. I built an AR barreling jig out of a 2x4 with a hole drilled through it and some screws that hold a barrel nut wrench in place that works like a charm. http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...-barrel-extension-torque-tools-prod27452.aspx

A proper set of roll pin punches, (including the bolt catch pin punch) along with a set of brass punches and a brass / rubber hammer.
    http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...-tools/punches/ar-15-punch-kit-prod39519.aspx
    http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...bly-tools/bolt-catch-pin-punch-prod26484.aspx

A pivot pin installation tool isn't totally necesary (I actually haven't used one), but it makes the entire process of installing the pivot pin detent so much easier and drops the likelihood that you'll loose the most commonly lost pieces from your lower parts kit. http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...t-pin-detent-installation-tool-prod26488.aspx

A set of vice blocks also really helps by giving you that third hand.

ThunderGunder

Jan 1, 2013
    I have a Magpul BEV on the way for barrel and muzzle device instalation.

The gas tube toll pin is the only one i need to install. Tye Seekins lower is a set screw lower. Ill still need then to work on the bolt though. The forward assist is already installed in the upper as well.

As far as the pivot pin tool. I should be able to use tge pins from the BEV block, but ACE sells 1/4" clevis pins all day for a few cents.

Other wise the assembly requires no "special" tools. The barrel nut is a 1-1/16 flat, and there is no castle nut ;)

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    I have a Magpul BEV on the way for barrel and muzzle device instalation.

That'll do it.

The gas tube toll pin is the only one i need to install. Tye Seekins lower is a set screw lower. Ill still need then to work on the bolt though. The forward assist is already installed in the upper as well.

That's what I get for not reading your parts list carefully enough. :) I kind of went into my usual "tools for building ARs" spiel.

As far as the pivot pin tool. I should be able to use tge pins from the BEV block, but ACE sells 1/4" clevis pins all day for a few cents.

Yes, either one of those will work. On the ones I did, I held the detent and spring in place with the edge of a razor blade, but a clevis pin or other proper tool would work better and be more safe.

Other wise the assembly requires no "special" tools. The barrel nut is a 1-1/16 flat, and there is no castle nut ;)

I forgot that the PWS tube doesn't use a castle nut, and I just went and looked at that Hera handguard. That's an interesting configuration for their barrel nut.

hoythunter

Dec 8, 2015
    Harford County
    Good luck on your build, please keep the thread updated as you go (with lots of pics!). I'm working on the parts list for my first build, looks like you've done your homework.

ThunderGunder

Jan 1, 2013
    Most of the parts have come in. I'm still waiting on my Upper, Barrel, and Saftery Selector from SWFA.com. The scope was supposed to arrive yesterday, but I guess the FedEx guy got tired and went home cause it didnt show up.

I purchased a 1-1/6" crows foot for the Barrel nut...its wrong. I guess thats what i get for listening to the internet. But screw it... I've torqued enough nuts and bolts that I can get it between 30-80 fl/lbs with an open end wrench...

Ill keep this thread updated with pics of the build and all ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom