Finally got my Beretta 96 on the range and have come to the realization that...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigjoegood1

King Lurker
    MDS Supporter
    May 2, 2005
    Behind enemy lines
    I can't hit the broad side of a barn with it. I had some PMC bronze and TulAmmo. While the PMC shot a little cleaner, I really stunk up the place with my groupings and while the TulAmmo was dirtier, I was able to get some palm-sized (good for me) groupings at about 10 yds with it. I will try some other ammo varieties to see what it really likes.

I do need to send the Beretta slide to Trijicon to have the night sites recharged. Maybe that will help.

On another note, my Ruger P345 really hates Silver Bear ammo. Every few
    rounds it failed to feed. Really irritated me to the point where I field stripped, cleaned, oiled and put it away after just 3 1/2 mags through it.

Overall a pretty good day.

Jerry M

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2007
    Glen Burnie MD
    Try some better quality ammunition then Wolf and some different bullet weights before writing it off accuracy wise.

Good luck

Jerry

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    The 92FS is a good gun as long as its not shot out.

I have taught many hundreds of Soldiers to shoot this gun and the 228 well. I've only met two I could not get to qualify; both were female Soldiers. One had an astigmatism and literally could not see a sight picture. Took a while to figure that out; I put the test chart in my official brief for my last unit before I left. The other failure had a condition where she was not able to hold her hand steady. Her arc of motion was too much to qualify. I don't fudge, we have integrity; I had to fail them both. Still my unit reflected it on me.

Once you know it's not the gun, I'm confident I could help you get a reasonable shot group in under an hour. I'm shooting tomorrow with two different private clubs; let me know when/where you are shooting next and I'll see if I can swing by.

Sell the Ruger.

Last edited:

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    My BIL has a 96 that he shoots poorly. I'm a better shot than he is, which most certainly isn't saying much, and I have difficulty with it as well. Standard target stuff - WWB usually. Nothing on the extreme low end of the ammo sector.

It certainly isn't the firearm's fault, but we've had our issues with it as well. FYI and YMMV.

bigjoegood1

King Lurker
    MDS Supporter
    May 2, 2005
    Behind enemy lines
    The 92FS is a good gun as long as its not shot out.

I have taught many hundreds of Soldiers to shoot this gun and the 228 well. I've only met two I could not get to qualify; both were female Soldiers. One had an astigmatism and literally could not see a sight picture. Took a while to figure that out; I put the test chart in my official brief for my last unit before I left. The other failure had a condition where she was not able to hold her hand steady. Her arc of motion was too much to qualify. I don't fudge, we have integrity; I had to fail them both. Still my unit reflected it on me.

Once you know it's not the gun, I'm confident I could help you get a reasonable shot group in under an hour. I'm shooting tomorrow with two different private clubs; let me know when/where you are shooting next and I'll see if I can swing by.

Sell the Ruger.

I will definitely keep you in mind on my next outing thanks!

I actually am contemplating selling the Ruger. Just not that into it. It was in my price range at the time.

MonkeyPunch

Feb 23, 2013
    Montgomery County
    I can't hit the broad side of a barn with it. I had some PMC bronze and TulAmmo. While the PMC shot a little cleaner, I really stunk up the place with my groupings and while the TulAmmo was dirtier, I was able to get some palm-sized (good for me) groupings at about 10 yds with it. I will try some other ammo varieties to see what it really likes.

I do need to send the Beretta slide to Trijicon to have the night sites recharged. Maybe that will help.

While I haven't shot a 96 (I have a 92A1), here are a couple of things that may help your groupings:

1) Replace the factory-standard spring with a "D" spring - it will reduce the pull weight for the trigger and only costs $5.
    2) Kind of "cheating", but if you want to be sure it's the gun - cock the hammer and fire SA; a lot of people have problems with the DA nature of the first shot ruining groupings.
    3) Replace the plastic-coated trigger with a full-metal trigger: while not as finger-friendly, you can supposedly better feel the internals of the gun (trigger reset, smoother).
    4) Recharging your Trijicon sights will definitely help; while bullet gr and distance will affect where your shots land, it shouldn't affect grouping unless there is a problem with your sights.

The only other thing I can think of is the quality of the ammunition; I haven't fired PMC bronze or TulAmmo, so I don't know if this is an issue or not.

Hope it helps.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Recharging the sights won't make a difference , unless you are doing your group testing in the dark.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    What weight bullets are you using? WWB comes in either 165gr or 180gr bullets. Some pistols prefer the lighter bullets while some prefer the heavier. Try some of both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom