• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hol3shot

Sweet...
    Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena MD
    I finally finished my Saiga 12 build and thought I would share it with you guys since I know you all can appreciate the time it takes to do one of these right.

Let me know what you think. I am still learning the photo software on my MAC, so I'm not sure how these pictures will turn out on here.

I just ordered my Xmas present to myself since I am finally in the middle of the divorce I should have gotten a couple years ago - lol
    Carolinashooters has the Chaos Warthog on the way to me right now with the lock nut to time it and lock it in place.

I can't wait to take this thing out and run it through its' paces.

Attachments

• IMG_6190.jpg
      IMG_6190.jpg
      54.7 KB · Views: 602
    • IMG_6180.jpg
      IMG_6180.jpg
      59.4 KB · Views: 589
    • IMG_6158.jpg
      IMG_6158.jpg
      45.3 KB · Views: 596
    • IMG_6175.jpg
      IMG_6175.jpg
      55.7 KB · Views: 601
    • IMG_6117.jpg
      IMG_6117.jpg
      125.9 KB · Views: 605

Hol3shot

Sweet...
    Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena MD
    Sweet, looks nice. You got a pic from the left side? Interested to see hw that folder looks over there. Is the folder out of the way of the trigger?

Thanks. I have a bunch of pictures, but like I was saying, I am still trying to figure out how to use LR3 with my MAC. lol I'll try and get on there and find some pics before I go and try and upload them on here.
    The Galil folder is out of the way if you don't have the drum on there. I'd like to get a 20 round straight, but right now I am just don't have the extra $ with everything that is going on.

I'll check into those pictures and see if I can upload some better ones. Sorry that there are some dupes and stuff.

That's a good lookin' S12 :thumbsup: But that barrel is too long...;)

I have to agree. But for now, that is the way it is. I'd love to get Chad (the 1st Chad, since technically I am the 2nd Chad on here ;) ) to cut it down, I just was happy to get it finished and knew I could go back and cut it down if I could find someone to do it for a decent price.

I'd love to get it cut and pinned if anyone knows of someone that is available to do it.

I am REALLY happy with the Fab Defense stuff I have on it. I really would recommend the stuff since it is super strong, and Andrew Amato from The Mako Group REALLY took care of me and hooked me up with a nice grip, foregrip, and shock reducing stock with Galil folder. Not to mention he is a really cool guy.

I'll look into those pics now and see if I can't get some more eye candy up here.

It is far from finished. I was just really happy to get it together and working, with everything else I am going through right now.

Thanks for the kind comments and suggestions.

My Xmas present to myself this year is the Chaos Warthog muzzle break and Russian style lock nut from Carolina supply - which is another great company to work with and extremely easy to deal with returns and credits.

Hol3shot

Sweet...
    Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena MD
    H2U -

I have it right here and after reading what you wrote, I tried it out both ways. It will shoot fine with the drum installed and the folder-folded. With the folder - folded and the regular 5 round magazine installed it will fire, although the charging handle would hit the buttstock a tiny bit, but enough that I probably wouldn't try it unless I was in a situation where it was necessary.
    So that is good to know for myself as well.

I am extremely happy with the robustness of the folder and the recoil-reducing buttstock though, so it really isn't a game changer for me.

Attachments

• IMG_6197.jpg
      IMG_6197.jpg
      72.1 KB · Views: 572
    • IMG_6162.jpg
      IMG_6162.jpg
      97 KB · Views: 565
    • IMG_6198.jpg
      IMG_6198.jpg
      68.4 KB · Views: 570

Hol3shot

Sweet...
    Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena MD
    If you guys would like some more build photos and stuff, I can upload them.
    I just figured I'd post up since it has been a while and I have spent a little time working on this and am pretty proud of the outcome.

I worked on the extractor, polished and shaved the bolt down a bit. I'd like to polish it up a bit more, although I will admit the metal is extremely hard and I haven't had too much luck with my current polishing wheel.

Hol3shot

Sweet...
    Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena MD
    I cut down the bolt hold open from the stock one. Added the Auto Tac47 Gas plug. Polished the bolt, and trigger. It is extremely smooth and breaks clean.
    I can't wait to try it out at Free State just to see how nice and smooth it runs.
    I barely had to file down the MDARMS.com drum. When they say you should be filing off dust in the videos on youtube.com, that is exactly what they mean. I touched it with a jewelers file and it and it fits SNUG.
    I did a little work on the extractor, although that is a little harder to explain. I cut the spring down a tiny bit, and did a little a time, until the rounds where ejecting where I like them.

Other than that it was mainly finishing work, painting, and getting thinks how I like them. I watched a ton of videos online before I messed with it at all. I wanted to make sure whatever I did was deliberate and was either in the best interest of cosmetics or to make it function the way it should.

I went with the crows foot trigger, and not only polished up the surfaces that touched, but also wet sanded the round stock that the trigger rotated on. I'm not sure what the technical name of those are, although it made a noticeable difference in the trigger smoothness and release. Any surface that touched and moved on another surface was either wet sanded with 600/1000/2000 or polished with emery cloth.

I had a lot of fun with this build and am happy with the looks of it. Although the real test will be to see how it works out in the field.

My goal and vision with this weapon was to make it something that I would have wanted to carry when I was in Riyadh, Saudi a Arabia, back in 93'-94', and weren't allowed to carry weapons, but were overrun with a bunch of dissidents from Iran/Sudan and were stuck in a coaster bus and couldn't defend ourselves. I still have trouble being in a large vehicle or bus. So this was my "cure-all" and equalizer that I wish I had at the time.

Attachments

• IMG_6121.jpg
      IMG_6121.jpg
      87.2 KB · Views: 548
    • IMG_6124.jpg
      IMG_6124.jpg
      77.2 KB · Views: 548
    • IMG_6128.jpg
      IMG_6128.jpg
      68.6 KB · Views: 533

Hol3shot

Sweet...
    Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena MD
    Do you guys have any suggestions?

I'd love to get the barrel pinned and cut down. I'm open to any and all suggestions.

So would my girls. They love my gun collection

Last edited:

Hol3shot

Sweet...
    Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena MD
    :thumbsup:Nice build!

Thanks! I appreciate it. I put a lot of work and time into it, so it is nice when others appreciate it.

That evil shotgun should be BANNED... from your place and put in mine.

Nice!

:party29:

Lmao :party29: It felt good to finish it, especially when I finally turned on the news, or came on here and noticed everyone was out of all the "good" guns.
    It has been a labor of love for the past few months, even with the craziness going on here. So it was awesome to finally finish it up.

Very nice!!

Thanks!

I'm looking forward to testing it out here soon. Greg down at Carolina shooters got my package sent out yesterday with the muzzle break and lock washer, so it will at least be finished in that respect.

Now all I need is to talk to John or another reputable gun smith to cut the barrel down so it truly looks bad ass.

I got lucky in that the guy from the Mako Group hooked me up before the storm - they are located in NJ. He ended up sending me better stuff than I ordered. Truly a class act up there. He works with the guys from FAB defense - which I have been really impressed with the quality of their stuff.

I am still waiting on my FAB defense carbine forearm for my AR. That should be here any day. Since they went through the storm and stuff, I didn't bug him about it. It has been about 3 months though that I have been waiting.

bfh268

Oct 24, 2012
    carroll
    Looks sweet filled out paperwork last wed. for mine hopefully i get it friday. Wanted to do all the work myself but gunshop couldn't get any more stock ones already had one coming in with tapco trigger group and pistol grip. Going to put ace skeliton folding stock and carolina shotters reliabilaty kit on it when i get it.

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    Complete and utter badassedness. The fact that you did it yourself is twice as satisfying.

THIS!! Those build pics look cool.

I cheated and sent all of mine to my buddy Tony at Tromix, so my only satisfaction is knowing should I ever have to sell-I've got the rollmarks to allow me to recoup my money ;)

PS: Hol3shot - You are technically Chad #3 (at least). The first Chad was JeepDriver, then Clandestine...then you :D

Thanks again for sharing your build :thumbsup:

Hol3shot

Sweet...
    Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena MD
    Looks great!! thanks for sharing

Thanks for the kudos! It is truly appreciated when others comment on the hard work that has been put into it.

Looks sweet filled out paperwork last wed. for mine hopefully i get it friday. Wanted to do all the work myself but gunshop couldn't get any more stock ones already had one coming in with tapco trigger group and pistol grip. Going to put ace skeliton folding stock and carolina shotters reliabilaty kit on it when i get it.

Half the fun for me was working on it myself. I hope you get the same satisfaction!

Complete and utter badassedness. The fact that you did it yourself is twice as satisfying.

Thanks! I'm not going to say it was easy, especially with the side BS I am going through, but it truly has paid off in the the end. I just can't wait to get the barrel cut down and the new Chaos break pinned.

THIS!! Those build pics look cool.

I cheated and sent all of mine to my buddy Tony at Tromix, so my only satisfaction is knowing should I ever have to sell-I've got the rollmarks to allow me to recoup my money ;)

PS: Hol3shot - You are technically Chad #3 (at least). The first Chad was JeepDriver, then Clandestine...then you :D

Thanks again for sharing your build :thumbsup:

Cheated or not - they are still bad ass guns! I would have LOVED to been able to afford a Tromix shorty. I probably paid 1/4 of what I should have with all of the stuff I have installed and done to the gun. But it did take a lot of work, not to mention a little "sales" with the guys I dealt with. They were all totally cool though and helped me out as much as I did them so it worked out in the end for both of us.
    Thanks for the kudos. I'll have to check to see if I have anymore build pictures. There was a lot more work than what is shown in the pictures above.

My daughter (Sierra, my 3 year old) wouldn't let me put on the muzzle break tonight without her help. She reminded me after we put Brianna to bed (my 10 month old) that I promised her that she could help. She was just excited to hold the crescent wrench and give it to me to put the lock washer on and time the muzzle break. Of course AFTER she told me that she doesn't like guns and that she needs to get Daddy if she ever sees one. That made me feel good. She knows that the guns are in the safe, but if she ever sees ones anywhere without me, that she is to get an adult ASAP.
    She just wanted to be like a "boy" (Caillou - from the kids show) and be able to help her Daddy work on stuff. I told her I will not only teach her to be able to work on stuff like a boy, but BETTER!

I'll post some pics up of the new Chaos muzzle break, and my new AR goodies in a couple days when the rest of the stuff gets here.
    I'm going to have to call around to see about getting the barrel cut and pinned though - since it will finally finish it off, and will accomplish what I really would like it to look like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom