• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    I'm just trying to learn a little and see if there is a way to petition for other G&S reasons to be added.

That's the thing:

There isn't a list of "approved Good and Substantial" reasons that sits somewhere. It's an "I know it when I see it" kind of thing, which is exactly why we were arguing that the entire clause was unconstitutional.

2AHokie

Dec 27, 2012
    District - 9A
    Go for the hearing. Waste as much of their resources and time as possible. Every minute spent on you is one less minute they have to spend violating someone else's inalienable rights.

From threads I've read here about the hearing process, I suggest that you be prepared for hostile and combative questioning from at least one member of the board.

abean4187

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2013
    I wish someone would make a quick youtube documentary on concealed carry in Maryland.
    Walk people through the process and when the cop comes to interview you, you video record it. And when your eventual disapproval comes you go to the informal board review and video record that hearing as well. Basically have good documented presentable evidence for the nation to see why MD CCW laws at BS.

Also, here is a hypothetical. Say I am walking home from my car to my house (I have to normally walk a couple blocks cause parking sucks). Some guy mugs me (Stealing some cash, luckily I didn’t have my wallet with credit cards and ID on me). If I report this crime to the police would that satisfy my G&S for a carry permit?

2AHokie

Dec 27, 2012
    District - 9A
    I wish someone would make a quick youtube documentary on concealed carry in Maryland.
    Walk people through the process and when the cop comes to interview you, you video record it. And when your eventual disapproval comes you go to the informal board review and video record that hearing as well. Basically have good documented presentable evidence for the nation to see why MD CCW laws at BS.

Also, here is a hypothetical. Say I am walking home from my car to my house (I have to normally walk a couple blocks cause parking sucks). Some guy mugs me (Stealing some cash, luckily I didn’t have my wallet with credit cards and ID on me). If I report this crime to the police would that satisfy my G&S for a carry permit?

MD is stupidly a two-party consent state for audio recording.

Public officials doing their jobs in public are not protected and are fair game (you can record them doing their publicly-funded job in public, even if they think otherwise). You might have to go to court to remind them of this, but you will prevail.

However, I would not want to be the test case for recording a private conversation or hearing even if the other party or parties were public officials engaged in their publicly-funded responsibilities. I'm not defending the status quo at all, but people should know what may await them if they go down this road.

Seth

Sep 17, 2013

Pretty sure you have to prove that you were specifically targeted and therefore showing you are at greater risk than your neighbors.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    Pretty sure you have to prove that you were specifically targeted and therefore showing you are at greater risk than your neighbors.

^^This^^. If you can't substantiate and document objective fear of imminent harm greater than that of your neighbors who are likewise at risk of being robbed, beaten and shot then you are sh*t out of luck. Everyone in Maryland has an equal opportunity to be assaulted and killed by criminals. :sad20:

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    Do it. In uniform ( Alphas). And take your wife and children with you. And have them tell you in your collective faces that they are not worthy of being defended by a trained, conscious, productive, exemplary citizen. Do it.

Absolutely do it! And see if you can invite some of the media to the festivities. It's time somebody put a strong light on this banana republic vetting process.

Whitty Whit

Mar 20, 2013
    With all the new gun laws in MD it obviously is unsafe here, so I would like to CCW to protect myself and others from the next active shooter.

Would something along those lines work???

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Even with a legit handgun permit I would guess you are VERY likely to face prosecution in this state if you ever have to shoot someone in self defense. Your outcome may be the same with or without a permit. Sad but this is MD so what else can one expect.

Last edited:

GUNSnROTORS

nude member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 7, 2013
    hic sunt dracones
    ^^^This

Full Army dress blues, especially if you were infantry (the blue circles and shoulder chord really set it off) and with your family and record it. They will still tell you no, but maybe you'll give them a little but of pause.

OP, thanks for your service!

G&S: Military Service, we let our enemies flow through our borders like rainwater ... untaxed.;)

Any Cav service during all those years? Mess uniform, Stetson, Spurs, and Saber ... ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Request the informal. You want to use as many of the steps allowed you as possible.

But note... Several people have requested the informal (mailed 7/10 for me), and have heard nothing back.

It sounds like they may be freeing up resources. Will be interesting to see.

Agreed on requesting the hearing. But isn't the hearing supposed to be within 30 days or something?
    The Board is probably swamped with people requesting hearings, which flies in the face of their 90+% permit approval rate. They waste other people's time and money, so why not give them a little payback?

sheat36

May 24, 2012
    Westminster, MD
    Yes, 4/11th Armored Cav in Fulda Germany from 91-93 and 4/17 (reflagged to 4/2 ACR) at Ft Bragg 93-95. Blackhawk pilot in both.

OP, thanks for your service!

G&S: Military Service, we let our enemies flow through our borders like rainwater ... untaxed.;)

Any Cav service during all those years? Mess uniform, Stetson, Spurs, and Saber ... ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Redd Byrd

Oct 2, 2007
    I would suggest calling Fox news to be around the day of your informal hearing. I'm not sure if they can ban cameras during the meeting, but that would be a striking graphic. "30 year Army veteran denied right to bear arms".

THIS ! ! !

Reminds me of back when we were old enough to be killed defending our country but too young to drink beer :mad54:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom