• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    Dexter.

US Made Dexters

The gold standard in commercial fishing. Look around the commercial and charter docks - they are about 99% of what you will see.

I used to clean thousands of rockfish a year.
    Buy several, used the Dexter handheld sharpener for touch up and when one gets too dull, put it away and grab a fresh one.

Over the winter have them all professionally sharpened by Burrdenders in Edgewater.
    img_3206-jpeg.466033
    IMG_4313.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3206.jpeg
      IMG_3206.jpeg
      379.1 KB · Views: 98
    • IMG_8184.jpeg
      IMG_8184.jpeg
      489.2 KB · Views: 15
    Last edited:

Dantheman

Jan 26, 2011
    Dexter.

US Made Dexters

The gold standard in commercial fishing. Look around the commercial and charter docks - they are about 99% of what you will see.

Buy several, used the Dexter handheld sharpener for touch up and when one gets too dull, put it away and grab a fresh one.

Over the winter have them all professionally sharpened by Burrdenders in Edgewater.
    img_3206-jpeg.466033
    View attachment 466048
    I agree with this post. I keep telling myself I'm going to learn how to use a wet stone but haven't started. Till then, it's Dexter's. A buddy of mine has a Bubba blade and its pretty nice. I think it's a Bubba blade anyway

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    Dexter.

US Made Dexters

img_3206-jpeg.466033
    View attachment 466048
    Thanks,, I straight forward game plan even I can follow.
    Question: I will be filleting at the house, clean water out of the hose,, It never see saltwater, Is there a steel that is "less" rustproof but holds an edge better??

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    Thanks,, I straight forward game plan even I can follow.
    Question: I will be filleting at the house, clean water out of the hose,, It never see saltwater, Is there a steel that is "less" rustproof but holds an edge better??
    The “Made in US” Dexter’s seem to hold an edge better than their cheaper, overseas line.

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    The “Made in US” Dexter’s seem to hold an edge better than their cheaper, overseas line.
    Problem is,, there are 6+ lines of Dexter fillet knives,,, and no real comparison chart AND the Dexter is tight lipped about what is made where?

EDIT: OK, I did see one of the descriptions in the soft grip line says "Made in the USA"

hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    https://cutleryandmore.com/collections/boning-fillet-knives

I have a couple VG10 core Yaxell knives and they are fantastic and beautiful for a decent price. Get a good steel and ceramic rod and a clamp on or magnetic angle guide around 17 degrees, and enjoy. Don't touch it with any power sharpener, or without an angle guide till you get used to holding the correct angle when steeling it. Couple gentle swipes on the steel before use, clean it well by hand after, and touch up on the ceramic rod if you use it a ton and it begins to take more pressure to use. Shouldn't take more than a couple swipes on the ceramic rod after a LOT of use over months. Should last several years before it needs any more than that.
    Which do you recommend between the Vickie Grande Matrie, Yaxell Mon 6", or the Yaxell Ran plus 6" boning knifes? I'm leaning towards the Ran +6. The low end Vickie knifes work great but don't hold an edge really well. Thanks.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Which do you recommend between the Vickie Grande Matrie, Yaxell Mon 6", or the Yaxell Ran plus 6" boning knifes? I'm leaning towards the Ran +6. The low end Vickie knifes work great but don't hold an edge really well. Thanks.
    I haven't used the good Victorionox knives, a lot more expensive, and simpler design than Yaxell. At a certain point the difference is mostly ergonomic and aesthetic. The Yaxell mon and ran are vey similar, pretty much the same handles, which are very comfortable and shaped well for my hand in canvas micarta, which is extremely durable. The blades both have the same VG10 core, but the Mon is san mai with 3 total layers a little more elegant, the ran is stainless damascus and really beautiful, no functional difference, but I prefer damascus cladding.

hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    I haven't used the good Victorionox knives, a lot more expensive, and simpler design than Yaxell. At a certain point the difference is mostly ergonomic and aesthetic. The Yaxell mon and ran are vey similar, pretty much the same handles, which are very comfortable and shaped well for my hand in canvas micarta, which is extremely durable. The blades both have the same VG10 core, but the Mon is san mai with 3 total layers a little more elegant, the ran is stainless damascus and really beautiful, no functional difference, but I prefer damascus cladding.
    I prefer the Damascus also. Thanks for the advice.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I prefer the Damascus also. Thanks for the advice.
    This is an older one of mine, stainless damascus over VG10 core. Paterned/etched damascus and hammered finishes are nice being the mild texture breaks suction a little when slicing through food.

20240419_121344.jpg

OneGunTex

Escaped Member
    Jan 12, 2021
    Southern Maryland, no longer
    I have the same problem with kitchen knifes. Everytime we do steak, I use my Spyderco Triangle Sharpmaker on them for several quick swipes on each side. Actually keep the Spyderco fully deployed on the kitchen counter now just for that.
    +1 for the Spyderco Sharpmaker. Can get a fantastic edge if you work through the 4 sticks in order. I've been meaning to order an extra coarse stick for some knives that need a whole new edge.

One good way to preserve you filet knives' edges, especially when dealing with scaly fish is, use a bread knife to make the first cut behind the gills. It will saw right through the scales.
    I have also always had a serrated filet knife for saltwater fishing. Some of those pelagics and reef fish have big ol' scales that will wreck a filet knife. Really good if you want to cut mackerel or wahoo into steaks too

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom