• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    (figured this should go in the outdoor forum,, as it is fish specific)
    I have a few basic fillet knives I picked up over the years,, Cheaper ones you would find in Walmart (Eagle Claw, etc)
    I have an electric sharpener I run them through hen hit them on a generic steel chefs rod.

None of them are really get SHARP or stay above dull for long,, and it makes cleaning fish a MAJOR PIA.

I plan to hit the Blue Cats hard this summer and process and freeze the fillets,, but I need to get the knife thing figured out.

Is my sharpener a piece of junk?
    What is a decent fillet knife without going crazy? can one be had for under $50?
    What/how to sharpen them, and keep them sharp ??
    In General,, how can you tell a cheap knife from a decent one (metal wise)

sharpener.jpg

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    It might not be the right degree for a filet knife. I think you want to be at 17-20 degree for a filet knife.

If you're looking for a power model, this is a great choice. I bought and ultra fine belt and it sharpens fast. The downside is you can ruin a knife point fast without knowing. Start with cheap knives.

I also bought a smaller sharpener that goes with me, it works well to touch up blades

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    I have the same problem with kitchen knifes. Everytime we do steak, I use my Spyderco Triangle Sharpmaker on them for several quick swipes on each side. Actually keep the Spyderco fully deployed on the kitchen counter now just for that.

There is nothing worse than trying to cut up a steak with a dull knife. :sad20:

Capture.JPG

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I had older one, but some new ones you can replaces the discs on those. Seemed to work for me.

I use ken onion sharpener now. Cutting on bones is going to dull them quick.

I like the classic Rapala knife...

If you do a lot best to get a couple and keep them sharp. Sharpen after each use.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    It might not be the right degree for a filet knife. I think you want to be at 17-20 degree for a filet knife.

If you're looking for a power model, this is a great choice. I bought and ultra fine belt and it sharpens fast. The downside is you can ruin a knife point fast without knowing. Start with cheap knives.

I also bought a smaller sharpener that goes with me, it works well to touch up blades

Its 20° i believe on that chefs choice sharpener

dannyp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 30, 2018
    I use a lansky sharpener as the fixture holds the blade at the right angle . have only used regular fillet knives , like my bubba knives

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    I have the same problem with kitchen knifes. Everytime we do steak, I use my Spyderco Triangle Sharpmaker on them for several quick swipes on each side. Actually keep the Spyderco fully deployed on the kitchen counter now just for that.

There is nothing worse than trying to cut up a steak with a dull knife. :sad20:

View attachment 465501
    Same thing I use. Works great if you use them frequently. If you let your cutting edges get to butter knife quality, this will take a long time to recover an edge. Use it frequently, don’t let them get too dull.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I have a Work Sharp for really hard steel and flexible knives like boning and filet knives. It does a great job. Just take it easy when using it. You can quickly wear a blade down.

Crock sticks for blade maintenance.

One good way to preserve you filet knives' edges, especially when dealing with scaly fish is, use a bread knife to make the first cut behind the gills. It will saw right through the scales. Then proceed down the spine towards the tail with your filet knife. When I go down the spine/dorsal, I like to lead with the tip of the knife under the skin and cut that skin from the inside out, instead of sawing through the scales with the filet knife. Take care if you try this, you are kind of aiming to blade towards yourself.

Last edited:

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    I have a Work Sharp for really hard steel and flexible knives like boning and filet knives. It does a great job. Just take it easy when using it. You can quickly wear a blade down.

Crock sticks for blade maintenance.

One good way to preserve you filet knives' edges, especially when dealing with scaly fish is, use a bread knife to make the first cut behind the gills. It will saw right through the scales. Then proceed down the spine towards the tail with your filet knife. When I go down the spine/dorsal, I like to lead with the tip of the knife under the skin and cut that skin from the inside out, instead of sawing through the scales with the filet knife. Take care if you try this, you are kind of aiming to blade towards yourself.

Work Sharp and crock stick is my favorite system for knife maintenance.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Wife says J. A. Henckels filet knife is good. Since her family owns the Hoopers Island seafood business, I'll take her word for it. I have no experience myself.

hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    I have used a sharpening stone for years now. I have tried the electric sharpeners and others. I want a smooth razor edge so the stone is the way to go.
    Unless you are stone impaired like I am. :-) I have tried, stones, Lansky, and similar rod systems, Edge pro, Work Sharp, Magic Chefs, Hone, and 2" vertical knife belt sanders. Diamond, steel and ceramic "steels" between sharpenings.

The Hone, (cylindrical diamond stone) is fool proof for quick touch ups and will provide a very sharp edge. My favorite for speed is the belt sander and consistency. I can do all the kitchen knifes very quickly and a quick strop or steel takes care of the burr.

The filet blade angle is usually between 12-20 degrees. The lower the angle the sharper the blade is, but at the expense of sharpness longevity. I prefer 12 degrees but use a 2nd 20 ish degree knife to get thru the scales and down the backbone, then switch to the really sharp one for fillets, skinning etc. Finally, get a knife w/ the best blade edge retention possible. YMMV

The basics:

Zwilling JA Henckels fanboy here. It is important to note there are good Henckels and "Walmart Henckels". Without getting too nerdy, the easiest way to tell the difference is avoid the ones with one stick man on the logo- buy the two stick man logos.
    ETA- I do not own a Henckels fillet knife. I use a Dexter fillet knife for the fish I don't catch.
    1713024995603.png

1713024936463.png

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Zwilling JA Henckels fanboy here. It is important to note there are good Henckels and "Walmart Henckels". Without getting too nerdy, the easiest way to tell the difference is avoid the ones with one stick man on the logo- buy the two stick man logos.
    ETA- I do not own a Henckels fillet knife. I use a Dexter fillet knife for the fish I don't catch.
    View attachment 465537

View attachment 465536
    Wusthof fan boy here. I don't use this one for dirty work.

Dexter makes decent knives. I used them all through my trade. :thumbsup:

Did you slip J a roofie? Do I need to check up on him?

20240413_133329.jpg

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    the steel does matter. A high end knife with 80crv2 treated right will hold an edge, resist damage, and noticeably outperform a less expensive knife with generic steel. Sharpening, stropping and steeling are all used in different ways to maintain an edge and can help reduce wear from sharpening. For most kitchen knives, I use a belt grinder. I sharpen most with trizact and mylar belts. Once sharp, I use a leather belt on it loaded with compound to polish and set the burr, and the clean rough side to buff. Strop and clean it. For folders, I use an edge pro with Silicon carbide stones, and then strop on the grinder with leather belt.

Most of my kitchen knives are VG10 monosteel or a VG10 core with damascus cladding. Have one 80crv2 boning knife that was a gift. I use it to cut and trim steaks from prime cuts, it slices like a laser, and holds an edge forever. The steel is incredibly tough, so even hitting bone won't do much, and a quick steeling straightens the edge quick without removing metal.

I strop on occasion, and it brings the edge back. To sharpen, I use a waterstones on my edge pro in sections. Really want to try a Horl style sharpener, have heard a lot of good things from that, and works better than the edge pro on longer knives. It ia also quick, but far less agressive on expensive stuff than the belt grinder.

hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    the steel does matter. A high end knife with 80crv2 treated right will hold an edge, resist damage, and noticeably outperform a less expensive knife with generic steel. Sharpening, stropping and steeling are all used in different ways to maintain an edge and can help reduce wear from sharpening. For most kitchen knives, I use a belt grinder. I sharpen most with trizact and mylar belts. Once sharp, I use a leather belt on it loaded with compound to polish and set the burr, and the clean rough side to buff. Strop and clean it. For folders, I use an edge pro with Silicon carbide stones, and then strop on the grinder with leather belt.

Most of my kitchen knives are VG10 monosteel or a VG10 core with damascus cladding. Have one 80crv2 boning knife that was a gift. I use it to cut and trim steaks from prime cuts, it slices like a laser, and holds an edge forever. The steel is incredibly tough, so even hitting bone won't do much, and a quick steeling straightens the edge quick without removing metal.

I strop on occasion, and it brings the edge back. To sharpen, I use a waterstones on my edge pro in sections. Really want to try a Horl style sharpener, have heard a lot of good things from that, and works better than the edge pro on longer knives. It ia also quick, but far less agressive on expensive stuff than the belt grinder.
    The Victorinox (formerly Forschner*) 6 inch Semi-Stiff, boning knife is also a pretty good boning knife that the Bearded Butchers use. They don't state what SS is used on the blade but it does the job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom