• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    Yesterday I posted a pic of my WWII handgun collection and mentioned I was in the market for a few I was missing, specifically a French MAB-D.

After a little advice and encouragement from so_mustangs, I decided to make an offer on a MAB-D rig I had been watching.

It's about an 80% condition MAB-D made during the German occupation and marked with a Wa251 Nazi Waffenamt. Comes with two WWII mags and a WaAD20 marked holster.

Not perfect - no museum piece. It has a small crack in the right grip and it shows 80+ years of wear and tear but as far as I am concerned, that's just character and part of its history.

For about two years I have been looking for a pre-occupation MAB-D but finally gave up on that unicorn and decided Nazi marked MAB-D would have to do.

Finding one as a complete rig was also important to me. I have to have an original holster, two magazines (if applicable) and lanyard (if applicable) for all my MilSurp sidearms. Tracking down an authentic holster and mag would have been a feat in itself.

Here she is....

Screen Shot 2023-09-01 at 7.53.44 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-09-01 at 7.54.29 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-09-01 at 7.54.06 PM.png

Last edited:

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Not so sure about the lesser valuable part, these have been steadily moving up in market value for some time now. That's a very nice example with a mid range SN. Grips are better than most with some of the obligatory shrinkage that is a trademark of this pistol.
    I had been on the hunt for one for you but nothing nice came along up to now. You did better than I could scrounge. And as a rig to boot. Congratulations!

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    Not so sure about the lesser valuable part, these have been steadily moving up in market value for some time now. That's a very nice example with a mid range SN. Grips are better than most with some of the obligatory shrinkage that is a trademark of this pistol.
    I had been on the hunt for one for you but nothing nice came along up to now. You did better than I could scrounge. And as a rig to boot. Congratulations!
    Thanks - I had been watching it for awhile. It had been listed since Nov 23 and hadn't sold despite a nearly 35% reduction in price. Took a chance and made an offer, they counter-offered meeting me halfway so I jumped on it.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    As to pre-occupation, unicorn indeed. I finally managed to find one after a loooooong search. Like FN 1922s, easier to find an occupation built example!

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    OP very interesting and thanks for sharing. Until recently I never thought much about French-built arms. What do you think about the quality of this pistol? Actually, the Walthers I have are French-built come to think of it, and they are pretty solid.

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    OP very interesting and thanks for sharing. Until recently I never thought much about French-built arms. What do you think about the quality of this pistol? Actually, the Walthers I have are French-built come to think of it, and they are pretty solid.
    You're very welcome - I have not received it yet so I can't speak to what I think of it yet. Additionally, there doesn't appear to be much info out there in the form of books, articles and YouTube videos on the MAB-Ds.

My goal is to have a rifle and sidearm from all the major WWII allied and axis powers. With adding this MAB-D, my want list is down to a German P-08 Luger, a Russian T-33 and to fill the German PPK hole, I'd like a Crown-N, Third Reich Police issued one.

As for the French, I have a two pre-occupation MAS-36 rifles. A 1939 with a mismatched bolt and an early, all matching 1940. They have actually become one of my favorite MilSurp rifles. Simple, rugged and I am the limiting factor on their accuracy.

Screen Shot 2023-06-27 at 6.08.18 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-06-27 at 6.08.31 AM.png

Jul 1, 2012
    In general they are high-quality in machining, fit & finish - except for the grips. Whatever material they chose, Colt must have consulted with them on it for their 1950's-1960's Gummint Model's - they're shrink-o-matics (which also promotes cracking at the screw holes). The design of the MAB-D right grip leaves a real thin part covering the back side of the mag release. That thin piece is often broken off or cracked.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    For French military handguns look for Gene Medlin & Jean Huon's French Service Handguns 1858-2004. Found a copy up on Amazon right now for $45.00. Jean also collaborated with Gene on The French 1935 Pistols: A Concise History which covers the 1935A and 1935S models.
    Then for rifles it's an easy pick: Ian McCollum's Chassepot to FAMAS: French Military Rifles, 1866-2016. A new copy will set you back $98.00. Does a very good job of covering most everything.

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    For French military handguns look for Gene Medlin & Jean Huon's French Service Handguns 1858-2004. Found a copy up on Amazon right now for $45.00. Jean also collaborated with Gene on The French 1935 Pistols: A Concise History which covers the 1935A and 1935S models.
    Then for rifles it's an easy pick: Ian McCollum's Chassepot to FAMAS: French Military Rifles, 1866-2016. A new copy will set you back $98.00. Does a very good job of covering most everything.
    Thanks, I appreciate the info. Just ordered the handgun book.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Hopefully this isn't your last French pistol. It's a neat niche as you'll find when Jean's book arrives. Should give you plenty of inspiration. I love that they're pretty much undiscovered to a large degree.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom