• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    Besides the ribs and the inner tenderloins there is zero meat coming from the inside.I dont see where splitting the pelvis or the ribs would lose any amount of meat.

mark71211

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2012
    Edgewater
    Ive never gotten sick from gutting a deer....while it stinks if you cut the stomach you just move back and get some fresh air. but picking up cat puke or crap makes me gag:sad20::puke:

I almost gotten sick one time while watching a guy gut his deer. He shot the deer in its ass cause that's all he saw or so he said. It took four of us three hours to find it cause there was no exit wound and where it went in at closed back up. Well when he opened her up her insides looked like a bloody soupy mess and I just happen to be standing down wind of it. It made me gag a little so I quickly moved up wind and about ten foot away.

StaFrosty

Feb 20, 2011
    Not in MD anymore!!
    No problem,
    I have my carnage kit, its a small bag with all my essentials, sharp knife, SS bowl for washing afterward, gallon of water for hand cleaning, clean towels to dry up with, tie downs, if needed, ink pen and deer tags. I don't keep organ meat, retains to many chemicals, including mercury and pesticides, (don't believe me, get it tested) no fancy clothes hangers with pulleys and no butt plugs needed. Just the basics, K.I.S.S.

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    Nascar is for sissies, that is why all the good dirt car drivers go to nascar to get a peice of the easy life!
    however, i learned to skin deer with a buck 119 and a shrade walden fixed blade and the only knives i have ever cut myself with skinning/gutting were small ones.

Nascar is for sissies?
    Knives are for sissies, this is how a REAL MAN guts and skins deer.
    NOTE: Chain cover attached for safety.

Attachments

• How to gut a deer.jpg
      How to gut a deer.jpg
      58 KB · Views: 106

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Best method Ive found is to not split the ribs or pelvic bone. Just reach up into the throat and cut the wind pipe. My processor told me he can get more meat off the carcass and it keeps dirt and debris out while dragging.

I find not splitting the pelvic bone better also as its the number one place to collect dirt during the drag out. Instead cut the anus out with a break-off blade utility knife. Most knives are no where near sharp enough the cleanly cut around the anus. And beside, you can use the blade and pop a fresh one on for the next deer.
    huh? what does splitting the ribs have to do with it? even if it does get dirt in there wash it out with water and you are gtg..

Nascar is for sissies?
    Knives are for sissies, this is how a REAL MAN guts and skins deer.
    NOTE: Chain cover attached for safety.
    Ed Gein much? ;)

MeatGrinder

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2013
    MoCo, Eastern edge
    There are lots of ways to the same end. The point being that you don't need to over complicate things.

I usually end of dressing the deer of guys I hunt with simply because I'm not bothered by it. To me, it's just another chore.

I had one of those Wyoming knives (actually a clone) for awhile. The guys I hunt with called it my unzipper because I was so fast that it looked to them like I was unzipping the deer.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Ive field dressed a deer with a utility knife from HD. works great, blades are replaceable and its easy to clean. I also like my serrated Gerber, I can cut through the ribs. I bought Havalon and its awesome. Sharp as a scalpel and the blades are replaceable.

Gal bags (heart/liver make great pet treats, or pate). Zip ties. Gloves. I dont use a butt plug. Some people do, I tried it and a sharp knife and two fingers are easier for me.

Deer. You'll need a deer. Thats the most important thing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom