• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

boothdoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 23, 2008
    Frederick county
    All pets have to abide by the leash law. People with cats NEVER think it applies to them.

Catch them hunting on your property and they need to be put down. Period.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    5 Star Sheriff,s Badge- Dept. Blacked out:sad20:.and.your accusing me of "lawyer tatics"?:lol:

Each of the two questions I asked were directed by name to the person/s that asked the question.

The reason for doing that is to prevent (hopefully) superfluous folks such as resymorejr from joining into an otherwise cogent conversation.

No I'm not a lawyer

Rob.
    Just trying to lighten the mood a bit. Sorry to have upset you.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    So much funny in this thread :lol2:

Get a local fox. Since the one showed up in my yard and built a den in the drain pipe under my driveway all the stray cats have disappeared and the rabbits are back.

This makes absolutely no sense. Why would a fox attack a cat over a rabbit? Cats fight back...rabbits do not. I've actually seen a fox looking for food walk right past a housecat, without so much as a sideways look. The cat was not afraid.

Someone forgot what the third "S" stands for.

Indeed :lol:
    GUNMANSUPERSTAR is that you?
    :D

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    This makes absolutely no sense. Why would a fox attack a cat over a rabbit? Cats fight back...rabbits do not. I've actually seen a fox looking for food walk right past a housecat, without so much as a sideways look. The cat was not afraid.

Disagree if you want, I'm reporting what I've seen. Foxes appeared cats disappeared. No one traps them, it's a neighborhood full of bleeding hearts that feed every stray that come by. There is one big grey one left that looks like one battle hardened SOB.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Does that go for dogs as well or is this a feline only issue?

Why wouldn't it? In the vast majority of states, MD and PA included, pets must be under the owners control at all times, either contained on their property, or by a leash. They also have lawful provisions to humanely destroy domestic animals that are found hunting or harassing livestock, or in some cases attacking pets or damaging property. The OP did nothing wrong, broke no laws, a few people that think their furry baby can't do any wrong while running wild give responsible pet owners a bad name. I have 2 dogs and a cat, 2 are rescues, and have volunteered time and money to help out at shelters, my pets never leave my property without a leash or in a cage. One thing that most animal lovers don't consider is how reckless breeding from unsecured pets pretty much wipes out the majority of funding by humane organizations, people would drop box after box of kittens and puppies at the shelter, or demand feral cats be trapped-sterilized-released at a significant cost, and flip out when a shelter has to euthanize animals because of a lack of space and resources. The same A-holes that claim to love animals and let them be "free" basically doom their animals and offspring to death at the hands of volunteers that actually give a Fook. Can't fault a farmer for protecting their livelihood, but absolutely despise people who see no problem with allowing their pet to treat the rest of the world as their own litterbox, they are the problem, they deserve far worse than their pet simply getting shot.

Last edited:

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    Someone forgot what the third "S" stands for.
    :thumbsup:

Yep. I will shoot a cat anytime I have the opportunity. I have a cat. It doesn’t go out. Why are there no quail in MD? 30 years ago there were quail and pheasant in abundance in Harford County. Now.....none. It’s people’s f’ing cats. You want a cat? Keep the f’er indoors.
    Exactly!!

I support what you're doing.
    However, there are 3 S's involved. The final "S" is shut up.
    :thumbsup:

Maybe the fox wanted Chinese food
    :lol: :lol2:

OMFG, this thread is a train wreck

A) A wise old owl sat in an oak
    The more he saw, the less he spoke
    The less he spoke, the more he heard
    Why can't we all be like that wise old bird

B) See Dick
    See Dick shoot
    See Dick kill
    See Dick post
    Don't be a Dick

C) Feral cats (and outside pet cats) are murdering bastards, and should be killed.

D) All of the above.

I like my cats more than a great many people, but I always LOL at this.

free cat.jpg

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    Why wouldn't it? In the vast majority of states, MD and PA included, pets must be under the owners control at all times, either contained on their property, or by a leash. They also have lawful provisions to humanely destroy domestic animals that are found hunting or harassing livestock, or in some cases attacking pets or damaging property. The OP did nothing wrong, broke no laws, a few people that think their furry baby can't do any wrong while running wild give responsible pet owners a bad name. I have 2 dogs and a cat, 2 are rescues, and have volunteered time and money to help out at shelters, my pets never leave my property without a leash or in a cage. One thing that most animal lovers don't consider is how reckless breeding from unsecured pets pretty much wipes out the majority of funding by humane organizations, people would drop box after box of kittens and puppies at the shelter, or demand feral cats be trapped-sterilized-released at a significant cost, and flip out when a shelter has to euthanize animals because of a lack of space and resources. The same A-holes that claim to love animals and let them be "free" basically doom their animals and offspring to death at the hands of volunteers that actually give a Fook. Can't fault a farmer for protecting their livelihood, but absolutely despise people who see no problem with allowing their pet to treat the rest of the world as their own litterbox, they are the problem, they deserve far worse than their pet simply getting shot.

:thumbsup::party29:

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA

I keep snakes and Reptiles too, am a member of USARK, and support responsible ownership, but realize programs like this are necessary to help limit the damage from a feral/invasive population. IMO if it works for one relatively small and fragile population of wild "pets", then it could would work for the millions of feral cats and dogs, but people tend to be less accepting of invasive species management when it comes to "cute" animals. How many feral cats do you think could be taken out of the environment after a year with volunteers earning a $50/per bounty? like this FL program pays.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/florida/fl-reg-python-hunters-everglades-20180530-story.html

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Well said.

Cats and dogs running free are, at best, a terribly destructive invasive species, and at worst, actually dangerous.

A buddy can't even walk his dog on a leash in his own yard when she's in heat, free running pets in the neighborhood seem to want to fight with him for breeding rights. No, he cannot arm up and just kill the damn things, they belong to his neighbors and they're good dogs and it would start no end of trouble.

We have an elderly couple that rides around and feeds their herd of feral cats in several abandoned houses down on the shore. They think they are doing good somehow, keeping those poor stray cats from starving. The adult cats flourish and breed, perpetuating the problem and recreationally decimating wildlife.

I used to raise meat rabbits in the early 80s and had a terrible time with free running dogs at night. They couldn't get at my rabbits, but they tear at the fences and cages and would cause the rabbits to hurt themselves and trample babies as they panicked. Most of these dogs had visible collars. That was back then, when it was more farmland and farmers didn't tolerate free ranging and ravaging dogs. I can't even imagine trying to raise livestock now, with all the Disney-ish bleeding heart attitudes and the misguided idea that pet animals need their outdoor night life. First time I defended my stock, I'd be ostracised and locked up.

Wasn't it Schramms Turkey farm in Pasadena that had terrible ongoing trouble with neighborhood dogs, cute and fluffy pet dogs, tearing through enclosures and killing turkeys for fun. Nothing they did worked, no help from authorities, but when they finally handled the problem themselves, people (profoundly stupid, childish, irresponsible people) were outraged. The mean old turkey farm closed up right after that.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    I keep snakes and Reptiles too, am a member of USARK, and support responsible ownership, but realize programs like this are necessary to help limit the damage from a feral/invasive population. IMO if it works for one relatively small and fragile population of wild "pets", then it could would work for the millions of feral cats and dogs, but people tend to be less accepting of invasive species management when it comes to "cute" animals. How many feral cats do you think could be taken out of the environment after a year with volunteers earning a $50/per bounty? like this FL program pays.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/florida/fl-reg-python-hunters-everglades-20180530-story.html
    If these poor wild pet pythons had fur, this travesty couldn't go on. :D :sarcasm:

I would wager (void where prohibited) that, pound for pound, both in terms of feral cats and in unnecessarily victimized prey animals, the free running cat problem is about 1,000,000x worse than the python problem, enabled and perpetuated by the "Fluffy" syndrome.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    My farm is 1 mile away from anybody else's home. I get "drop off" cats and Dogs multiple times over the year. I don't need any body else's cast-offs. I can tell you that in my plain old fashioned 1st language English! If you want to rescue the critters then come here and deal with them! SCR/SAR Patriot - "SARCASM" is a low form of wit which you readily demonstrated! I readily invite you to come and rescue the worthless varmits. Meanwhile the Marlin will do it job as any good tool is asked to do.

Rob

I dont like feral cats, we did however get a nice non-feral cat "dumped" here. This one was spayed and hangs around the house so we've yet to have any rodent problem because of it. Thats the only one that gets a free pass. All other ferals are target practice.

bbrown

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2009
    MD
    I dont like feral cats, we did however get a nice non-feral cat "dumped" here. This one was spayed and hangs around the house so we've yet to have any rodent problem because of it. Thats the only one that gets a free pass. All other ferals are target practice.

Out of curiosity, how do you tell if a cat is feral or not? And if it's spayed or not? Without handling it, of course, in case it's got an infestation of some sort (rabies, fleas, ticks, etc.)?

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Out of curiosity, how do you tell if a cat is feral or not? And if it's spayed or not? Without handling it, of course, in case it's got an infestation of some sort (rabies, fleas, ticks, etc.)?

the non-feral cat around here actually comes up and lets you pet it, and if you rattle some food in a dish she usually comes running. She also has a clipped ear, I guess thats the thing they do at most human society/pounds/shelters to identify which cats are spayed/neutered. feral cats obviously cant be petted and typically run off or hiss/growl at you when they see humans.

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    I've heard that Baltimore City and Washington DC are still infested with rats. I don't know how many feral cats it would take but City Hall and Capitol Hill could both use a few thousand. I'm just putting it out there for consideration. ; )

DC's rats are larger than many cats. Definitely opossum sized.

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    the non-feral cat around here actually comes up and lets you pet it, and if you rattle some food in a dish she usually comes running. She also has a clipped ear, I guess thats the thing they do at most human society/pounds/shelters to identify which cats are spayed/neutered. feral cats obviously cant be petted and typically run off or hiss/growl at you when they see humans.

Ditto. When they get too thick on the ground I box trap them. If they are friendly and have collars they get taken home. Unfriendly get relocated and disposed of.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Ditto. When they get too thick on the ground I box trap them. If they are friendly and have collars they get taken home. Unfriendly get relocated and disposed of.

Ive been trying to get this feral cat for a while now, I just havent got my live trap out. I can never get a shot on him cuz he takes off running like his butt is on fire anytime we pull up or open the door.

cstone

Dec 12, 2018
    Baltimore, MD
    DC's rats are larger than many cats. Definitely opossum sized.

Agreed. It has been many years but I used to work the midnight shift in the District and have several stories related to my encounters with the four legged as well as two legged resident rodent population.

Seems to me that this thread has become a proverbial "Cat fight."

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    I'm with other people, this thread should never been made or even talked about on some public internet entitiy.

You're protecting your farm but stranger things have happened. I know someone just recently getting over a stressful ordeal that was a major inconvenience and 100 percent avoidable, all because of one nasty person. In the age of nothing is dismissed, too much tinfoil?

Save this stuff for the stories at the bar or something.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom