• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    http://www.feinstein.senate.gov/pub...ecord_id=6d458c1c-bbc1-b30c-5d6b-12f50a7ce559

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
    Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Senator Feinstein Leads Coalition of Senators to Introduce Bill to Regulate .50 BMG Caliber Combat-Style Sniper Rifle

Washington, DC –U.S. Senator Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.), today introduced legislation to regulate the transfer and possession of .50 BMG caliber sniper rifles, which have extraordinary firepower and range (more than a mile with accuracy, with a maximum distance of up to four miles). These combat-style weapons are capable of bringing down airliners and helicopters that are taking off or landing, puncturing pressurized chemical storage facilities, and penetrating light armored personnel vehicles and protective limousines.

Current federal law classifies all .50 caliber rifles as “long guns,” subject to the least government regulation for any firearm. While the State Department has acknowledged the danger of these weapons by suspending all export of .50 BMG caliber sniper rifles weapons for civilian use in foreign countries, these weapons can still be purchased in the United States with little to no regulation.

“These are combat-style weapons designed to kill people efficiently and destroy machinery at a great distance. This legislation would regulate these dangerous combat weapons, making it harder for terrorists and others to buy them for illegitimate use,” Senator Feinstein said. “This legislation doesn’t ban any firearms; it would only institute common-sense regulations for the sale of these dangerous sniper rifles”

The legislation is co-sponsored by Senators Edward Kennedy (D-Mass.), Carl Levin (D-Mi), Robert Menendez (D-N.J.), Barbara Mikulski (D-Md.), Hillary Clinton (D-N.Y.), Richard Durbin (D-Ill.), Barbara Boxer (D-Calif.), and Frank Lautenberg (D- N.J.).

A .50 BMG caliber sniper rifle weighs up to 28 pounds and fires the most powerful commonly available cartridges – the massive Browning Machine Gun cartridge, which has a diameter of ½ inch and a length of 3-6 inches.

A broad coalition of law enforcement organizations have called on Congress to regulate .50 caliber sniper rifles, including:

International Brotherhood of Police Officers,
    Major Cities Chiefs Association,
    National Black Police Association,
    Hispanic American Police Command Officers Association,
    National Latino Peace Officers Association,
    The Police Foundation, and others.
    The law enforcement groups have noted that “it is of special concern to the law enforcement community that these weapons of war are capable of penetrating our special operations vehicles, tactical equipment, and helicopters,” and warned that “their easy availability on the civilian market make them very attractive to potential terrorists.”

Long-Range Sniper Rifle Safety Act of 2007

This legislation would:

Add the .50 BMG caliber sniper rifle to the list of firearms classified as “destructive devices” under the National Firearms Act, which would mean they must be registered when purchased or sold;
    Require the same registration for any “copycat” sniper rifles that might be developed in the future with destructive power that is equivalent to the .50 BMG caliber sniper rifle; and
    Allow people who already possess .50 BMG caliber sniper weapons up to seven years to register their existing firearms by implementing a registration process identical to what was used when “street sweeper” and other firearms were reclassified as “destructive devices” in 1994.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Co-sponsor Senator Barbara Mikulski can be reached as follows:

The Honorable Barbara A. Mikulski
    Suite 503
    Hart Senate Office Building
    Washington, D.C. 20510
    (202) 224-4654

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    The stench of the Bradys is all over this:

These combat-style weapons are capable of bringing down airliners and helicopters that are taking off or landing, puncturing pressurized chemical storage facilities, and penetrating light armored personnel vehicles and protective limousines.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    The hunters' groups better wake up and smell the coffee. If they get this it's only a small step away from banning their "dangerous high-powered sniper type rifles like the .308 and 30-06 calibers which are too big for any legitimate hunting purpose and only good for killing human beings." Think they'll wake up? I don't. But maybe.

This is an important bill to defeat. I don't own a fifty. I can't afford a fifty. Hell, I can't even afford the ammo! But this new tactic of designating what they don't like as a DD is an experiment I think they plan to carry further than just fifties if they get this.

drott

Apr 18, 2007
    Hope Feinstein doesn't find out about these puppies. Ladies and gentlemen, the Anzio Iron works 20mm shoulder fired cannon :party29: :lol: :bowdown: :evilgrin3 ...
    20-mm.jpg
    20mm022standingatangle-FP.jpg

20mmwith50a-1.jpg
    Yes that's a little bitty fifty next to it! :lol:

wah001

Jan 2, 2007
    Greensboro
    Does anyone have a draft letter than can be adapted to send to the poisoned dwarf …sorry Senator Mikulski?

I have had dealings with her before. My wife and I even tried to hand deliver a letter to her office in Baltimore.

We were given a very unpolite f*&k off and told they don't answer the door. :asshat:

jpk1md

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2007
    Does anyone have a draft letter than can be adapted to send to the poisoned dwarf …sorry Senator Mikulski?

I have had dealings with her before. My wife and I even tried to hand deliver a letter to her office in Baltimore.

We were given a very unpolite f*&k off and told they don't answer the door. :asshat:

Send it Registered Mail......

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Hope Feinstein doesn't find out about these puppies. Ladies and gentlemen, the Anzio Iron works 20mm shoulder fired cannon :party29: :lol: :bowdown: :evilgrin3 ...
    20-mm.jpg
    20mm022standingatangle-FP.jpg

20mmwith50a-1.jpg
    Yes that's a little bitty fifty next to it! :lol:

In a word.....schwing.:D

Falkus

Dating Scarlett Johansson
    Feb 26, 2007
    Undisclosed location
    oh mamma....

I was thinking about getting one of those uppers in case they decided to ban it. but i would have the credit card to pay for it, I would mind the interest on it since it would be worth it.

on the serious side, i will be senting my emails to my locals and senators...

RnRFreak

Forum Cartoon Character
    Mar 3, 2007
    Overlea
    Of course they won't go after it. I hear it fires kitties and flowers.

Seriously, that is one bad assed rifle. I think I have a new desire....

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Not to spoil the fun, but her bill would already get that one too:

"Require the same registration for any “copycat” sniper rifles that might be developed in the future with destructive power that is equivalent to the .50 BMG caliber sniper rifle; and"

drott

Apr 18, 2007
    Actually the 20mm is already categorized as a "destructive device", it has to be registered and $200 clams has to be ponyed up to the ATF. And although this proposed 50 cal legislation sucks, on its face I don't think it's too unreasonable. It's not an outright ban, it just becomes a regulated firearm, which means law abiding folks can still get them. A restriction like that would help to keep uber-guns like that out of the hands of nuts and yahoos and yeah, maybe even would be terrorists like those a-holes who were just captured and wanted to attack Ft Dix. If some nut or a terrorist did get ahold of a 50 cal or 20mm rifle and laid waste to a bunch of folks and/or property, you can bet there would be an outright ban for everyone real quick. So a measure like this, ironically, might actually help preserve our rights to have and bear these awesome firearms. But, of course on the downside legislation like this is usually an attempt to get a foothold into other classes of weapons. Like zoo said, next thing you know they'll say 30-06's and 308's are "deadly sniper weapons" that need to be regulated too. Why cant these em effers just be reasonable???:sad20:

drott

Apr 18, 2007
    Here's a vid of one being shot with a suppressor. Sound is not synched, and it just sounds like a "pffttttt". I'd imagine in person and without the suppressor it'd be something to behold.

drott

Apr 18, 2007
    Found a few more, this time some 60 minutes antigun stuff against the big bores. Notice Maury Saufley (sp?) saying that it is "without a doubt the most powerful weapon you can buy." I guess "without a doubt" he didn't know about the Anzio 20mm.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    ....asshats.....i shoot fifties occasionally (i cant afford one, i'm in college) because my friends have them....and they arent about to put up with having to cough up tax stamps for them, nor are they likely to register any 50s they currenly might own....i certainly would be royally pissed if they tried to tell me i couldnt buy a bolt action long gun....next will be the 7mm and 300 ultramags, i mean my friend shoots a .338 that with his own handmade rounds will punch through any ballistic material we have tested, including "limo glass"

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    A restriction like that would help to keep uber-guns like that out of the hands of nuts and yahoos and yeah, maybe even would be terrorists like those a-holes who were just captured and wanted to attack Ft Dix.

They in fact, turned down offers of larger caliber belt-fed weapons and said they wanted M16s and AKs.

If some nut or a terrorist did get ahold of a 50 cal or 20mm rifle and laid waste to a bunch of folks and/or property, you can bet there would be an outright ban for everyone real quick. So a measure like this, ironically, might actually help preserve our rights to have and bear these awesome firearms.

A government license to own something is not a right.

But, of course on the downside legislation like this is usually an attempt to get a foothold into other classes of weapons. Like zoo said, next thing you know they'll say 30-06's and 308's are "deadly sniper weapons" that need to be regulated too. Why cant these em effers just be reasonable???:sad20:
    [/quote]

Yes. Just another nickel and dime step to legislate firearm ownership out of existence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom