Federal 20% tax on “assault weapon and high capacity magazine” manufacturers income and other fed legislation

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LeadSled1

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 25, 2009
    MD
    Looks like they may be trying to back door it through the Pittman Robertson act via modification?

Also requires firearm manufacturers to build a system to record and analyze when their firearms are misused in crimes.

LeadSled1

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 25, 2009
    MD
    Even if you only make magazines they want to tax your entire company profits 20%. Magpul and other companies that don’t even make firearms fall under this.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    yep, hit people and manufacturers and sellers in their pocketbooks. that's definitely one (well, three) ways to have back door gun control.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    Do 3D printers have the capability to
    Make these mags?
    Yes, but consumer FDM or SLA machines wouldn't make very robust or reliable ones. IIRC PMAGs are injection-molded, filled Nylon, which has mechanical properties much stronger than non-filled, layer-fused FDM material (even if it's a Nylon resin). And I don't know of any SLA resin that isn't either too brittle or to low a durometer to form a magazine that will hold up to the forces of even normal use. Feed lips and catches would probably fail very quickly.

And then there's reliability. For real PMAGs, the injection molds are designed and precision ground to account for shrinkage and geometry changes from the resulting stresses as the plastic cools, resulting in a room-temperature mag with dimensions that are within proper tolerance to function reliably. Unless you compensated for coefficient of thermal expansion when you created the 3D model of the mag, the overall dimensions will be off, as would feed lip geometry. You'd also have to do something to fix the surface roughness on the interior of an FDM-printed mag so the follower doesn't get hung up.

If I had to use a home 3D printer to make mags, I'd probably use the printer to make a plug and mold set to fabricate mags and followers out of carbon fiber cloth and epoxy. There are Soviet-era bakelite/fiberglass mags for AKs, so the basic concept is sound. But even those have some metal components, like the forward catch, that would have to be machined from aluminum or steel if you wanted them to hold up in use.
    See: https://otbfirearms.com/russian-30-round-bakelite-ak-47-magazine-7-62x39-tula/

Now, if you have $750k or so lying around under the couch cushions, one of these AM systems would crank out all the precision mags you could ever use: https://www.eos.info/en/industrial-...facturing-how-it-works/dmls-metal-3d-printing
    Of course, it could print out the gun, too, including the barrel.

Last edited:

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Yes, but consumer FDM or SLA machines wouldn't make very robust or reliable ones. IIRC PMAGs are injection-molded, filled Nylon, which has mechanical properties much stronger than non-filled FDM material (even if it's a Nylon resin). And I don't know of any SLA resin that isn't either too brittle or to low a durometer to form a magazine that will hold up to the forces of even normal use. Feed lips and catches would probably fail very quickly.

And then there's reliability. For real PMAGs, the injection molds are designed and precision ground to account for shrinkage and geometry changes from the resulting stresses as the plastic cools, resulting in a room-temperature mag with dimensions that are within proper tolerance to function reliably. Unless you compensated for coefficient of thermal expansion when you created the 3D model of the mag, the overall dimensions will be off, as would feed lip geometry. You'd also have to do something to fix the surface roughness on the interior of an FDM-printed mag so the follower doesn't get hung up.

If I had to use a home 3D printer to make mags, I'd probably use the printer to make a plug and mold set to fabricate mags and followers out of carbon fiber cloth and epoxy. There are Soviet-era bakelite/fiberglass mags for AKs, so the basic concept is sound. But even those have some metal components, like the forward catch, that would have to be machined from aluminum or steel if you wanted them to hold up in use.
    See: https://otbfirearms.com/russian-30-round-bakelite-ak-47-magazine-7-62x39-tula/

Now, if you have $750k or so lying around under the couch cushions, one of these AM systems would crank out all the precision mags you could ever use: https://www.eos.info/en/industrial-...facturing-how-it-works/dmls-metal-3d-printing
    Of course, it could print out the gun, too, including the barrel.
    The trick would be make say a 40 round one and partially fill it, or 100 round and partially fill it. I think once you remove most of the load tension a printed one will "work"

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    The trick would be make say a 40 round one and partially fill it, or 100 round and partially fill it. I think once you remove most of the load tension a printed one will "work"
    I'd be most worried about the catch. That's a lot of stress concentrated on a very small surface. And no matter how lightly you loaded it, the cyclical stresses on the feed lips are worrisome.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    No chance of becoming law with current Senate. Just another pointless Lib publicity stunt.
    Maybe not.

Unlike the assault ban that has no hope of getting the required 60% of votes, this is a tax proposal.

Budgetary bills only need a majority, not a supermajority. 51% instead of 60%. VP would be able to break a 50/50 tie.

If passed as a funding or revenue measure or amendment to a budgetary bill there may be a risk of them being able to pass something.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Maybe not.

Unlike the assault ban that has no hope of getting the required 60% of votes, this is a tax proposal.

Budgetary bills only need a majority, not a supermajority. 51% instead of 60%. VP would be able to break a 50/50 tie.

If passed as a funding or revenue measure or amendment to a budgetary bill there may be a risk of them being able to pass something.
    Unlikely still with the current senate. Several democrats in the senate were a big no on a renewed AWB. Now they might be able to get sweet talked in to just taxing the things a bunch more. But I don’t see it playing well to their voters in those states.

Now if the Dems pick up 3 or 4 seats in November it probably stands a good chance.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Unlikely still with the current senate. Several democrats in the senate were a big no on a renewed AWB. Now they might be able to get sweet talked in to just taxing the things a bunch more. But I don’t see it playing well to their voters in those states.

Now if the Dems pick up 3 or 4 seats in November it probably stands a good chance.
    You got a friend…
    F2F87E89-D3F3-4E63-B293-14A7237BF3D3.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom