• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tech24

HP rifle shooter
    Dec 15, 2011
    Frederick, MD
    I just picked up an edgewood rear bag and this thing is solid and heavy so I wont be able to slide it back and forth for slight elevation changes. Would it be desirable to slide the entire rifle back and forth slightly or will this case in consistent cheek weld and shoulder pressure causeing POI shifts? Whats the proper proccedure here?

I'm using a tubegun with an angled bag rider.

herr.baer

Maryland Escapee
    Dec 27, 2007
    Tennessee
    I will give you my point of view and I am sure others will chime in on what they do. When I am shooting F-Class I never keep my cheek weld or shoulder pressure between shots since they have to drop the target down to score it. Between shots I am either resting my eye for the next shot or making notes in my log book.

tech24

HP rifle shooter
    Dec 15, 2011
    Frederick, MD
    I kinda figured I would move off the rifle as its one of the benefits of fclass. I'm used to prone shooting and it will be nice not to stay stuck for 20 rds. But I was thinking more about once im back in position but I guess if I'm moving around I can just adjust my body position and rifle each shot without causing and issues.

Might be a dumb question but I read about people adjusting the rear bag and with this edgewood bag that aint happenen...which obviously a desired effect, having a steady bag I mean.

herr.baer

Maryland Escapee
    Dec 27, 2007
    Tennessee
    While that might be good for bench rest I am not sure I would want such a heavy unmovable bag for F-Class. Being able to make minor adjustments for wind direction and mirage is very helpful.

tech24

HP rifle shooter
    Dec 15, 2011
    Frederick, MD
    you know, thats what I thought too...damnit I spend an entire day reading archives on us rifle team LR forum and the most common recommendation was edgewood minigator and the thingy that goes under it so thats what i got expecting to still be able to manipulate it a tad but I can't...hmm guess its all part of the learning experience.

I'm using a cadwell BR front rest not a bipod for F/O so I suppose I can make adjustments with that also. I only get one day to practice before my first midrange match so I guess I'll have to play around and see what works for my setup.

And of course I have to break in new barrel, sight in scope, test and chrony ammo...damn gunsmith wait times, I hate rushing!

tech24

HP rifle shooter
    Dec 15, 2011
    Frederick, MD
    Ft hill cumberland 4/21 and yeah kinda stressed, Im using proven fireforming load for 6brx so not expecting the world but 1/2moa should be the results I'll even take 1moa for now. I wanna try a few seating depths for accuracy and to see how well they blow the shoulder out. I'm not going for a record or nothing just hoping for calm winds and a fun day with the new rig. If things don't work out I'll just shoot sling and irons with spacegun.

trebark

Hiding in plain sight
    Aug 3, 2009
    Falls Church, VA
    While that might be good for bench rest I am not sure I would want such a heavy unmovable bag for F-Class. Being able to make minor adjustments for wind direction and mirage is very helpful.

Agreed. An unmovable bag is not really desirable. You will want to be able to make minor adjustments with the bag on-the-fly and with little encumberance. I find a lightweight, movable bag works well.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Theres a fella on snipers hide that makes a bag that goes over the sling at the rear. Its not big and you just grip the bag to elevate it.

Accuracy 1st also has a bag Todd Hodnett ises that a squish bag. Very nice.

tech24

HP rifle shooter
    Dec 15, 2011
    Frederick, MD
    thanks for the replys fellas, I'm gonna look into the squish bag it sounds interesting. I'll use what I got for the time being I guess since it cost so much. On the other forum I got responses to use front rest for adjustments, get a joystick front rest, and there's no wrong way play around. Thats why i ask in different places always get a wide range of good info.

I suppose I wont really know what works best for me until I play around but i'll try my elcheapo rear bag too that I can side around and if it works better watch out classifieds here I come, thanks again.

Leaddog

F-Class T/R
    Nov 27, 2009
    Delaware
    I ran a tactical style rear bag with a Harris bipod for a long time with good success. Recently, I went to an Edgewood and a Centershot bipod for F T/R. I like it much better.

tech24

HP rifle shooter
    Dec 15, 2011
    Frederick, MD
    UPDATE!

This current setup exceeded my expectations. I flipped my rear bag rider to the straight side. Once I got everyting aligned well I just pushed the rifle back into its original postion to get back to correct POA. Even with the straight bag rider sliding the rifle would allow me to make slight elevation corrections without changing cheek or bag pressure. This tube gun rode the bags like a dream without and lube or baby powder.

It was making bug holes without effort. I need to get some pics of my new rig and give a detailed range report....I feel like a little kind and I don't think I'll sleep for 2 weeks until my first fclass match. Thanks for the tips guys and stay tuned for future giddy ramblings!

NateG

Oct 16, 2009
    VA
    I'll have to take a look at your set up at Bridgeville one of these days... I have one heck of a time with my tube guns from the bench (and, to be honest, with non-tube guns, too). At times, things work perfectly, and at other times, I can shoot better groups sling-and-irons with the same load than I can off the bench. I really need to figure this out for load development...

tech24

HP rifle shooter
    Dec 15, 2011
    Frederick, MD
    I'll have to take a look at your set up at Bridgeville one of these days... I have one heck of a time with my tube guns from the bench (and, to be honest, with non-tube guns, too). At times, things work perfectly, and at other times, I can shoot better groups sling-and-irons with the same load than I can off the bench. I really need to figure this out for load development...

Wheres bridgeville? I wish I shot better sling and iron, what a terrible problem to have. I've never been great from a bench until this setup. Its really a dream to shoot and I don't think I'll be at any disadvantage to a traditional bag rider type stock. Plus with a few allen wrenches she's ready for HP.

Give me some info on bridgville an I'd be happy to venture there for a match, fun, or whatever. I also want to take some pictures and post a range report.
    In case I didn't mention it earlier I'm using the cadwell BR front rest with the flat bag that came one. Which everyone recommends trashing but it works great with garys front attachment. Fot the rear I got an edgewood mini-gator and the thing (can't rember the name) that goes under it which isn't necessary but got it to even out rear bag for flcass if I'm on an uneven surgace.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom