• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Ordered "Lake City" brass, and got brass head stamped FC and 13. I know it is Federal military contract, but is it any good? Should I be pissed or is it just as good?

Caeb75

Full fledged member
    Sep 19, 2007
    Aberdeen
    FC 13 is good to go. There were some issues with FC 07 having loose primer pockets. I do know that weighing sorted LC and FC, that the 2 weigh the same per 1000 pieces. If the headstamp bothers you, let them know. If they are a reputable company, they will make it right.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    FC 13 is good to go. There were some issues with FC 07 having loose primer pockets. I do know that weighing sorted LC and FC, that the 2 weigh the same per 1000 pieces. If the headstamp bothers you, let them know. If they are a reputable company, they will make it right.

If comparable, I don't care. 2400 for $120. I read mixed reviews on a Google search, but nobody seemed to really know what they were talking about. Thanks for your input.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    LC is Federal, so it's probably about the same. Some does have loose primer pockets, so pay attention when priming, but I have loaded a ton of LC and Fed brass with no issues.

This is one of the reasons I like hand priming.. you get the feel and know if there is an issue and can scrap one if in question....

Weber

USMC
    Oct 12, 2009
    Elkton, MD
    Most of the military brass lots are mixed with both FC and LC.

For the most part both are good to go. There was only a couple head stamp years that had issues, but it seems all brass manufactures have had an issue at one time or another.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    FC is very bad. You should ship it to me immediately.

You'll ship it back prepped? Thanks!!

Most of the military brass lots are mixed with both FC and LC. For the most part both are good to go. There was only a couple head stamp years that had issues, but it seems all brass manufactures have had an issue at one time or another.

I must have read some reviews on the bad head stamp years. First lot I got from this guy was 95% LC with some WCC thrown in. This one is all FC. I'm not terribly concerned about the head stamp, as long as it's good brass. Thanks for chiming in.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Some very accurate reloads can be produced using FC brass.

And if it's commercial FC, you shouldn't have any primer pocket crimps to contend with.

LC brass has some serious primer pocket crimps. Which need removing prior to reloading.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Some very accurate reloads can be produced using FC brass. And if it's commercial FC, you shouldn't have any primer pocket crimps to contend with. LC brass has some serious primer pocket crimps. Which need removing prior to reloading.

It's military. Will be running through my super swage.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    You're fine here. Good brass.

Lake City is govt. but is run by ATK, which also owns Federal, so there's your connection. Recognized industry names like CCI, Speer, and Alliant amongst others also fall under the ATK umbrella.

Don't sweat it.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    It's military. Will be running through my super swage.

Gotta be less wear and tear on the fingers doing it your way.

Prepping hundreds of cases with a hand held chamfering tool hurts like hell after a while.

Is a super swage like a mandrel or something that forces the pocket open? Might need to look into that.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Some very accurate reloads can be produced using FC brass.

And if it's commercial FC, you shouldn't have any primer pocket crimps to contend with.

LC brass has some serious primer pocket crimps. Which need removing prior to reloading.

^^^^^This!

On another site, the reloaders there, turn up their noses at Federal brass.

Fine by me. Gimme all the FC brass you want. I've loaded it for years, with no problems.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    ^^^^^This! On another site, the reloaders there, turn up their noses at Federal brass. Fine by me. Gimme all the FC brass you want. I've loaded it for years, with no problems.

I bought this batch to load up for SHTF. It's going into some ammo cans and into the back of the closet. I just didn't want to run into a lot of issues with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom