• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • siggirl1911

Dec 6, 2016
    Baltimore co.
    I'm in balto. county looking for suggestions for ranges that I don't have to be a member at. INormally go to on target. Not looking to travel more then 45 mins

c4snipar

Ultimate Member
    Jul 21, 2014
    Montgomery County, MD
    Cresap. Despite there are some bs rules but I can deal with it. About 30 mins drive, $8 no time limit, $1 per target, 100 yards rifle and I believe 25 for pistol.

EKing

NRA Benefactor
    Aug 12, 2016
    Sykesville
    AGC

I know that it can seem like a hassle to join a range or club and pay all the money, but if you are going to the range more than once a month, it's worth your money to join a club at the Associated Gun Clubs.
    You'll never wait in line to shoot and you can take part in the many events and competitions that occur there.

There's 32 different clubs to choose from, each offering something a little different, but membership in any one gets you access to most events offered by any club. 3-gun, Bullseye, High Power, rimfire, steel shoots, trap, black powder and full auto shoots are all taking place regularly. And you get access to some of the most knowledgeable old men (and women) in the state. They'll talk your ear off!

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Darn, he beat me to it! Let me type out what was rolling around in my head anyway:

You'll find out fairly quickly around here that if you ask for advice with a given set of specifications, somebody's going to recommend something that is diametrically opposed to those specifications. You say you don't want to have to join...so I'm going to recommend joining :D the AGC (associatedgunclubs.org). It's about $200 a year (depending on which club you join) for unlimited access to a 50, 100, and 200yd range, as well as trap and archery. Your husband can get a reduced membership (or vice versa), or one of you can join and bring the other as a guest.

I joined a couple of years ago with Monumental Rifle and Pistol Club (monumental.org) because they seemed to be a very active and diverse club, which is true. I soon also learned what a friendly club they (we) are. It's been said that we're a social club that also happens to shoot...but we shoot a lot. There are two club matches a month (Saturdays), and enough league action going on that you could shoot in a Monumental match of some type just about every weekend, if you wanted to. Or, you can just shoot on your own whenever you want.

I guess, in fairness, I should mention that there are other good clubs there too...

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Meanwhile back a Hawxter996 ;

If you mean semiauto pistol, no problem with it being semiauto per se ( except for a handful of very obscure specific assault pistols). You will have to comply with Md transport regulations. Very short version is to & from the range or other approved destination , not sightseeing, visiting friends, etc.

If semiauto rifle, it becomes confusing.

Is it Md complient ? If an AR-15 , that means an HBAR

If not complient, did YOU own it prior to Oct 1 2013 ? If so, you are Grandfathered.

For non-AR-15 semiauto rifles, or what the heck is an HBAR , instead of overwhelming you with lots of fine print off the bat, ask us about the particular rifle ( starting a new thread if you wish), and we'll either have a simple answer, or bog down in a long debate over grey areas.

GunnerGunz

Sunken Treasure
    Mar 2, 2010
    Reisterstown
    I know that it can seem like a hassle to join a range or club and pay all the money, but if you are going to the range more than once a month, it's worth your money to join a club at the Associated Gun Clubs.
    You'll never wait in line to shoot and you can take part in the many events and competitions that occur there.

There's 32 different clubs to choose from, each offering something a little different, but membership in any one gets you access to most events offered by any club. 3-gun, Bullseye, High Power, rimfire, steel shoots, trap, black powder and full auto shoots are all taking place regularly. And you get access to some of the most knowledgeable old men (and women) in the state. They'll talk your ear off!

Agreed easy to join and many things to do and very friendly people.

hawxter996

this avatar is offensive!
    Nov 11, 2008
    at home
    Meanwhile back a Hawxter996 ;

If you mean semiauto pistol, no problem with it being semiauto per se ( except for a handful of very obscure specific assault pistols). You will have to comply with Md transport regulations. Very short version is to & from the range or other approved destination , not sightseeing, visiting friends, etc.

If semiauto rifle, it becomes confusing.

Is it Md complient ? If an AR-15 , that means an HBAR

If not complient, did YOU own it prior to Oct 1 2013 ? If so, you are Grandfathered.

For non-AR-15 semiauto rifles, or what the heck is an HBAR , instead of overwhelming you with lots of fine print off the bat, ask us about the particular rifle ( starting a new thread if you wish), and we'll either have a simple answer, or bog down in a long debate over grey areas.

Thank you question answered.
    I actually have several AR's that I purchased
    In MD.before we moved here.
    So just call me Granddaddy!

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Public ranges suck, usually too expensive and too restrictive to do much more than shoot a piece of paper occasionally. If you plan on investing in the time and training to be a proficient shooter, then you need to invest in a good range that meets your practice needs. The AGC is decent and close, Isaac Walton, and some of the larger clubs offer events and can help with more advanced practice and might have competitions you can try out. I shoot and compete at a few ranges in the area, but my home "practice range" is Windsor F&G. It's cheap($50 a year), easy to join(show up for a single meeting), no work requirement, we just built a pistol range with steel and have a 200 yard rifle range. You can shoot from any safe position, holster draws, shooting on the move, multiple targets, etc. It's usually quiet too, most members just put a box of ammo through a deer rifle once a year. It's also within 45min from Baltimore county and close to Layman's gun shop if you want to pick up some proper mags before heading back to MD.

http://www.windsorfishandgame.com/

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    Art3 and Eking beat me to it! I think the AGC offers the best bargain around in terms of facilities and activities. Some of us even belong to two or more clubs!

F2S

Oct 24, 2013
    Cresap. Despite there are some bs rules but I can deal with it. About 30 mins drive, $8 no time limit, $1 per target, 100 yards rifle and I believe 25 for pistol.

I have been to Cresap once and will never go back. Maybe they had the b squad working that day, the safety officers were extremely rude. I understand they encounter a lot of people that don't have experience and have to act accordingly to ensure safety. There was actually a guy next to me had an AR that he had never fired and didn't even know how to operate it. Rules don't really bother me, but don't be disrespectful to people just because you're a range safety officer. You don't know my background handling firearms and I don't know yours, treat people how you would like to be treated. If this was someone's first time shooting; this would be there first impression and could turn them off from the sport.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tmd99

Aug 22, 2015
    Frederick
    I have been to Cresap once and will never go back. Maybe they had the b squad working that day, the safety officers were extremely rude. I understand they encounter a lot of people that don't have experience and have to act accordingly to ensure safety. There was actually a guy next to me had an AR that he had never fired and didn't even know how to operate it. Rules don't really bother me, but don't be disrespectful to people just because you're a range safety officer. You don't know my background handling firearms and I don't know yours, treat people how you would like to be treated. If this was someone's first time shooting; this would be there first impression and could turn them off from the sport.

sorry you had a bad experience there. i always had good experiences and eventually joined this year because of those good experiences. I find that i learn a lot from you all that come out and shoot on Sundays. See some cool rigs and learn tricks of the trade from you all. if you wouldn't mind answering, what did you find rude about the rso's that were working when you were there? (You are right though that inexperience at a public range can be a safety risk and the RSO's really have to be diligent to protect everyone's safety).

F2S

Oct 24, 2013
    sorry you had a bad experience there. i always had good experiences and eventually joined this year because of those good experiences. I find that i learn a lot from you all that come out and shoot on Sundays. See some cool rigs and learn tricks of the trade from you all. if you wouldn't mind answering, what did you find rude about the rso's that were working when you were there? (You are right though that inexperience at a public range can be a safety risk and the RSO's really have to be diligent to protect everyone's safety).

One guy was on me because I didn't have ear pro on as I was walking to the shooting lane. Another guy jumped down my throat the way I was carrying my case, I thought I was carrying it normal, by the handle with my left hand on my left side. He said he didn't know which way my muzzle was in the case ( I can't remember if they checked my rifle prior to entering the range), so I thought that was a little odd. Then the same guy snapped at me because my case wasn't stored properly. My brother has gone there a few times and never had any problems. I'm guessing it was just an off day. Just didn't seem like it was the place for me.

tmd99

Aug 22, 2015
    Frederick
    One guy was on me because I didn't have ear pro on as I was walking to the shooting lane. Another guy jumped down my throat the way I was carrying my case, I thought I was carrying it normal, by the handle with my left hand on my left side. He said he didn't know which way my muzzle was in the case ( I can't remember if they checked my rifle prior to entering the range), so I thought that was a little odd. Then the same guy snapped at me because my case wasn't stored properly. My brother has gone there a few times and never had any problems. I'm guessing it was just an off day. Just didn't seem like it was the place for me.

That does seem unusual, although ear pro is kind of a rule everywhere. I'm working this Sunday there. If you want to come out and shoot on me, feel free. PM me if you want to come out. I'll cover your range fees and targets. I get nothing out of it, but think you should give it another shot there since i think it is a good place to shoot and the people i have met there are quality people with a lot of experience. let me know if you are interested in giving it a second look.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    partyboytowsonhigh1956

Latest threads

Top Bottom