• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    I like the Leatherman Skeletool for light work (heck, none of these should really be used for "heavy" work). It can clip in a pocket like a knife...but that's where my knife goes. I hang it off a carabiner
    I'll admit the Skeletool is great for hiking/camping. I have one.

Mule

Just Mule
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2013
    As with many things, I think it depends on the role in which you intend to employ the tool and what best fits your needs. (Some may also have a bit of Chevrolet/Ford/Honda/Toyota-style preference, as well)

Also, there are different types and levels of multi-tools. But, it sounds like you're asking about the full-featured tools, not the smaller or specialized types.

Personally, I like Gerber. The primary reason for that is their one-handed deployment. But, a close second is the solid and sturdy build quality. For example, the handles remain rigid, and don't flex when you bear down when using the pliers. Third, all of the tools lock, very securely, which means a tool won't inadvertently collapse and close when working at weird angles. Finally, the design and implementation of the pliers and accompanying tools just makes sense, ergonomically.

If I were going to be out in the outdoors most of the time, I'd probably opt for the MP-600 or Diesel, as they have fixed screwdriver blades. You probably won't be encountering as many screws, the ones you do see will probably fall into the US standard types/sizes (P1/P2/Slotted), and the fixed blades are more versatile when it comes to scraping and non-driving uses for the tools. But, more importantly, they'll always be with you, because they're integrated with the tool.

However, if you're expecting to see a lot of, or a wide variety of fasteners, you can't beat the Center Drive.

It has a driver handle that's mounted on the outside, deploys with a quick thumb flick, and locks into place. The arm pivots out from one of the plier handles and is offset in such a way that it locks into place beneath the handles, so that the arm is almost perfectly centered. The lock on the other handle has a beavertail-style angle that lets you rest your thumb in a position that helps you to generate torque. Plus, at the end of the driver arm is a magnetic socket that accepts any standard 1/4" hex bit.

You can carry a bit in the driver arm, and another in an onboard storage socket. But, you also get a small sleeve that has slots for an additional 12 bits, which slips into a small pocket inside the sheath that's included with the tool.

That's on top of the onboard tools, which are needlenose pliers that snap open and lock with a flick of the wrist, replaceable carbide cutters, prybar with bottle opener, awl, file, serrated sheepsfoot blade, externally mounted 3" one-hand-opening blade, and inch/metric rulers.

As a result, the Center Drive is incredibly versatile, and allows you to carry the equivalent of a small toolbox in your sheath.

Leatherman made a Gerber-style one-hand-opening tool, called the OHT (One Handed Tool). It was good quality, and I really wanted to like it. But, their version had to make compromises, that made it less than useful for me. The pliers were strong, and deployed fairly well. But, most of the tools were smaller (3/4 size?), and didn't really fit for most of my needs. They've since discontinued it, but you can find it on eBay

Also, although Leatherman was the first to include replaceable bits, they're a proprietary design, or they need an adapter to use standard 1/4" hex bits. Not necessarily a deal-breaker depending on your uses. But, not as capable, from my point of view, and not readily replaceable if you lose something. (special order vs. "any bit will fit")

So, only one tool, I'd take the Gerber MP-600 or Center Drive, hands down.

But if Leatherman was my only option, I'd be fine with that, too

Also, for a "keep a multitool in each car bag" kind of tool, or for a "carry one that won't cost you a lot of money if it gets confiscated by security" kind of tool, you can't go wrong with the Leatherman Rev:

It's a super sturdy little tool with all of the basics, and can usually be found for around $35‐$50. I removed the knife blade from one, and carry it when I fly. So far, it's made it through without issue. (Have had to get a second opinion from a supervisor a couple of times, but they eventually agree that it falls under the "tools under 7 inches" exception)

gforce

MDS Supporter
    Aug 22, 2018
    It's a super sturdy little tool with all of the basics, and can usually be found for around $35‐$50. I removed the knife blade from one, and carry it when I fly. So far, it's made it through without issue. (Have had to get a second opinion from a supervisor a couple of times, but they eventually agree that it falls under the "tools under 7 inches" exception)
    Good to know, might end up removing the blade from mine, thanks

possumman

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2011
    Pikesville Md
    Leatherman sidekick. Carried for years- lost it-found it again- buried it at the lyric to go to concert-carried every days for years- pocket clip has worn holes in multiple pants- pliers,screwdrivers and knife blades get regular use.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Leatherman Micra. It’s small, compact and attached with small Olight is very handy. Fits in from pocket no problem.
    I carried a Micra with scissors for years. Excellent for a lot of small tasks to include nail trimming.

tenishasc

Oct 23, 2015
    Have multiple examples of Leatherman, Gerber, others custom multi tool. The one in my range bag is one I "won" at some training course I went to (believe an LAV one). It's a "Pocketsmith" with a Caspian label on it, and is 1911 centric. The jaws will fit the bushing, it has multiple screwdriver blades, hex wrenches, round rod, etc. Don't know that I've ever used it, but it's pretty nice.

Last edited:

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    My ex-wife would tell you that the best multitool was one of my wood chisels. She's tell you that you can use one as a prybar, screwdriver, paint can opener, rust scrapper and in a pinch, the larger ones could be stabbed into tough soil to loosen it.
    Did she at least put it back when she was done? I can't stand looking for tools my wife left somewhere else. There is a hook for that and that is where it needs to go when you are done. Thank you...

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Did she at least put it back when she was done? I can't stand looking for tools my wife left somewhere else. There is a hook for that and that is where it needs to go when you are done. Thank you...
    If by "put it back" you mean where she could find it, yeah.

Still finding stuff secreted in "her" shed like my carpenter's level.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    If by "put it back" you mean where she could find it, yeah.

Still finding stuff secreted in "her" shed like my carpenter's level.
    No wonder she is now your ex. Sorry. Mine usually leaves it close to where she was using it but never where she got it from. Mostly just hammer and level for hanging pictures that I didn't do fast enough. So I guess it's really my fault?

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    No wonder she is now your ex. Sorry. Mine usually leaves it close to where she was using it but never where she got it from. Mostly just hammer and level for hanging pictures that I didn't do fast enough. So I guess it's really my fault?
    Well, to be fair I did look out back once and see my hand drill laying in the grass. So I guess I can't accuse her of concealing that.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    She was calling you a sex machine. Her words may have been "@#$&%!@ tool" but it's the same thing, really.

I’ll accept that. Actually…my ex is a fine woman…one of the best. Just because we couldn’t make a marriage work doesn’t change that. I played my part in it failing I’m sure.

Wife 2.0 is the finest woman I’ve ever known…my forever wife! She makes and keeps me happier in life than I’ve ever been.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom