• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tracker

Aug 21, 2011
    Anne Arundel County
    Just bought a new Marlin 1895 classic and am going to be loading most of my own ammo for it. I ordered some 300gr jacketed hp and some lasercast 405s as well as a small batch of 405 GC bullets.

Does anyone have any favorite recipes they want to share?

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Congratulations on getting the .45-70. It is one of my favorite cartridges!

Here is an article that I found EXTREMELY useful when I started working up loads for my 1895G.

This article was written for cast boolits.

http://www.realguns.com/archives/117.htm

I settled on Alliant Reloader 7 (aka/ RL-7) using 40.0 grains along with a Cast Performance 405 gr LWNGC boolit, in Federal cases.
    (Note: I've also used Remington and Winchester cases with the same powder and bullet, and have gotten similar accuracy.)

The load I listed is easy on the shoulder and pushes the boolit to about 1,660 fps.
    I used this load to drop a BIG hog a couple of years ago, and it dropped where it was shot. It didn't take one step.

Moving up a little in powder, I also made some loads with 42.5 grains of RL-7, and it "thumps" on both ends of the rifle.

After 5 rounds of this load, I had enough of it.

Maximum is 44.0 grains, and I have no desire to punish myself with that.

The grand ole .45-70 doesn't need to be "magnumized" to do what it needs to do.

Last edited:

Tracker

Aug 21, 2011
    Anne Arundel County
    Thanks for posting. I picked up some RL-7 and some Trailboss at BassPro this past weekend. Figured I'd use the RL-7 for the jacketed and GCs and the Trailboss for the lasercast plinkers. I know there are a lot of powders to choose from but these two were the only ones BP had on the shelf that were listed on the data sheet I had with me. I have some old load data for H2400 but the stuff I have on hand is Alliant 2400 and not sure if they are formulated the same.

byf43

Not sure about those 2400 powders.
    Is that "H2400" that you're talking about, Hercules 2400???????
    Alliant powder USED TO BE Hercules powder.

I do know that there was a guy at SCSC that was shooting a Trapdoor .45-70 using Alliant 2400. Sounded like a bunny fart, when it went off.
    My son was smacking the 'gong' at 200 yards, though. "Thwa-aaaaaap!"

The RL-7 creates a lower pressure than the other powders listed in that article. That's why I use it.

When I was sighting in the 1895G, I fired three rounds into the target (at 25 yards) and my son walked behind the target and tried to retrieve one/all of the slugs from the dirt berm behind the target.

The hole was bigger around than his arm, and he couldn't touch the back of the hole!
    He was impressed. :D

Mickey the Dragon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 19, 2009
    Ohio
    I'll add another recommendation for RL-7 behind a 405-gr cast. I loaded up some test loads from 40.0 to 42.0 grains and my rifle (Marlin 1895G) seemed to like 42-gr the best while my dad's (Marlin 1895GS) preferred 41.0 grains. They were plenty for Ohio whitetail and I certainly wouldn't feel under gunned for anything in the lower 48.

After about 25 rounds in a t-shirt from a bench the fun started to wear off; however, a slip on recoil pad lets me shoot it all day with no discomfort and hunting in winter clothing I didn't notice a thing.

Tracker

Aug 21, 2011
    Anne Arundel County
    " Not sure about those 2400 powders.
    Is that "H2400" that you're talking about, Hercules 2400???????
    Alliant powder USED TO BE Hercules powder. "

Yes I'm talking about Herc 2400. The data I saw is in my old Lee load book but the datasheet in the new Lee dies I just got (45-70) don't list that load anymore. Alliant's site doesn't either.

Tracker

Aug 21, 2011
    Anne Arundel County
    Mickey what type of cast bullets are you using and are they gas checked? I tried using lasercast in my 44mag and above 1000ft/sec they turn the pistol into a smoothbore after about 20 rounds

byf43

Yes I'm talking about Herc 2400. The data I saw is in my old Lee load book but the datasheet in the new Lee dies I just got (45-70) don't list that load anymore. Alliant's site doesn't either.

Alliant 2400 is Hercules 2400.

Denoting a powder as "H2400" looked like it may be a Hogdon powder. That's the way their powders are usually written/referred to.

Hercules/Alliant 2400 is a GREAT powder (and my go-to powder) for .44 magnum loads in both revolver and levergun.

byf43

Mickey what type of cast bullets are you using and are they gas checked? I tried using lasercast in my 44mag and above 1000ft/sec they turn the pistol into a smoothbore after about 20 rounds

With the Cast Performance boolits (in my post, above), there is NO leading at all with the RL-7 powder.

The barrel looked like it was new after 35 rounds.

Mickey the Dragon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 19, 2009
    Ohio

I was using the Laser Cast and didn't have any leading issues. They've got a "No Leading" guarantee and I can buy them from the Cabela's near my house, which saves on the shipping costs. Of course, I never tried to return them, so I can't vouch for either their guarantee or their customer service. I attached their loading data (no RL-7 unfortunately) and they're willing to advertise pushing their 300-gr cast bullets up to 1625 fps; but as with all things reloading, there's no guarantee for how things will perform for you and your rifle.

For the sake of being complete, I'm loading all of my 45-70s on a single-stage RCBS RockChucker using Starline brass, Winchester Large Rifle primers, and crimping with a Lee Factory Crimp die.

Edit: removed the link that byf43 had already provided.

Attachments

• LC 45-70 Government.pdf
      62.3 KB · Views: 138

My Toy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 31, 2008
    Westminster
    I've been using Hornady 300 gr HP over 56.1 grs. IMR 3031, WLR primers and Starline cases in my JM proofed 1895GS (model year 2007) /w 3.5 -10x Leupold. I've chronographed that load at a little over 1800 fps. during hot summer weather. That load will consistently group 1.25 in this rifle. When I do my part I can get an occasional 3 shot group at 100 yds. measuring .75" CTC.
    I've found this levergun a lot more difficult to benchrest than an HB Varminter.

I have used Trailboss (I think the load was 12.0 grs) with the 405 gr Lasercast.
    It is a barrel of fun to shoot. Recoil is slim to none and 50 yd. accuracy is great. The trajectory of this load must be like a rainbow. As I remember not adjusting sights and moving out to 100 yds. the bullets hit the ground in front of the target.

Tracker

Aug 21, 2011
    Anne Arundel County
    I've been using Hornady 300 gr HP over 56.1 grs. IMR 3031, WLR primers and Starline cases in my JM proofed 1895GS (model year 2007) /w 3.5 -10x Leupold. I've chronographed that load at a little over 1800 fps. during hot summer weather. That load will consistently group 1.25 in this rifle. When I do my part I can get an occasional 3 shot group at 100 yds. measuring .75" CTC.
    I've found this levergun a lot more difficult to benchrest than an HB Varminter.

I have used Trailboss (I think the load was 12.0 grs) with the 405 gr Lasercast.
    It is a barrel of fun to shoot. Recoil is slim to none and 50 yd. accuracy is great. The trajectory of this load must be like a rainbow. As I remember not adjusting sights and moving out to 100 yds. the bullets hit the ground in front of the target.

I noticed the data for the 405 cast w/trailboss starts at 12.0 grs and goes all the way up to 13.0 :) I think the case is filled at 13. That's hard to imagine. I've been wanting to try it for 45colt loads too

byf43

Looks like this thread is over. Thanks to everyone for your input. It is much appreciated. Hope you all have a Happy Holiday!

Henry

The thread can't be over, until you post some pics of your groups, with the various charges!!!

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Have you got brass????? Have you got dies??????

What seater plug do you have???? RN???? Flat???
    My RCBS dies came with a RN seater plug, and I wound up modifying it, to seat the boolits posted earlier.

Tracker

Aug 21, 2011
    Anne Arundel County
    The thread can't be over, until you post some pics of your groups, with the various charges!!!

Have you got brass????? Have you got dies??????

What seater plug do you have???? RN???? Flat???
    My RCBS dies came with a RN seater plug, and I wound up modifying it, to seat the boolits posted earlier.

HAHA I just got brass and dies yesterday. I also just got some Hornady 300grn hp's. Still waiting on the lasercast 405s and the Cast Performance 405 GCs to arrive. The dies are from Lee. I don't know about the seater plug.
    Have loaded rnd nose, wadcutter and swc as well as hollow pts in 38spl/357mag, 44spl/44mag, 45 colt and 45 acp with Lee dies and never knew you needed a special seater plug for rnd nose and flat point.?

byf43

HAHA I just got brass and dies yesterday. I also just got some Hornady 300grn hp's. Still waiting on the lasercast 405s and the Cast Performance 405 GCs to arrive. The dies are from Lee. I don't know about the seater plug.
    Have loaded rnd nose, wadcutter and swc as well as hollow pts in 38spl/357mag, 44spl/44mag, 45 colt and 45 acp with Lee dies and never knew you needed a special seater plug for rnd nose and flat point.?

Using a RN seater plug on a flat point or SWC boolit, can and most likely will, deform the boolit, and CAN (most likely will) degrade accuracy.

I modified the RN seater plug that came with my RCBS dies.
    I called RCBS and they had a FP seater plug in stock (and shipped it free-of-charge) but, it wasn't the correct profile for the Cast Performance LWNGC boolit.

Here's what the end of the seater plug looks like, after roughing up the inside of the seater plug and then filling with JB Weld. (And making sure that the JB Weld is flat and smooth.)

This modified seater plug has worked perfectly.

Tracker

Aug 21, 2011
    Anne Arundel County
    Using a RN seater plug on a flat point or SWC boolit, can and most likely will, deform the boolit, and CAN (most likely will) degrade accuracy.

I modified the RN seater plug that came with my RCBS dies.
    I called RCBS and they had a FP seater plug in stock (and shipped it free-of-charge) but, it wasn't the correct profile for the Cast Performance LWNGC boolit.

Here's what the end of the seater plug looks like, after roughing up the inside of the seater plug and then filling with JB Weld. (And making sure that the JB Weld is flat and smooth.)

This modified seater plug has worked perfectly.

You did a very nice job with the JB weld and I'm sure you get excellent results, you were definitely thinking way out of the box on that one. But I do have to say I have loaded around a thousand cast SWCs and never experienced the problem you describe. I don't think you can exert enough pressure with a hand reloading press to deform a hard cast bullet in any significant way, (during a normal reloading process) if you are doing it correctly. As a matter of fact I once failed to bell the case mouths enough on some brass I was reloading. The result was bullet = 1 case = 0. The case got crushed and the bullet wasn't even scratched.

byf43

I've seen hardcast .45 acp boolits get deformed on the top(s) from using a RN seater plug, and they were seated with a RockChucker press.

For me, when accuracy and shot placement count, I don't/won't use a seater plug designed for one boolit shape on another.

YMMV.

Tracker

Aug 21, 2011
    Anne Arundel County
    I've seen hardcast .45 acp boolits get deformed on the top(s) from using a RN seater plug, and they were seated with a RockChucker press.

For me, when accuracy and shot placement count, I don't/won't use a seater plug designed for one boolit shape on another.

YMMV.

I hear what you're saying and not saying you are wrong. Just saying with my Lee reloading dies I never had the problem. I just loaded a dozen 405grn lasercasts today and you can still see the ridge across the top and sides from where they came out of the mold. Maybe RCBS dies are tougher on bullets? Who knows? but thanks for your input and the pics of your seater plug mod.

byf43

I hear what you're saying and not saying you are wrong. Just saying with my Lee reloading dies I never had the problem. I just loaded a dozen 405grn lasercasts today and you can still see the ridge across the top and sides from where they came out of the mold. Maybe RCBS dies are tougher on bullets? Who knows? but thanks for your input and the pics of your seater plug mod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom