• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Woodsonchris

May 11, 2012
    I got the itch to finally load up some 105 Amax's or HPBT for my custom 1-8"twist 243. Anyone have some powder/load recommendations? I normally just use the 95 Nosler BT exclusively but I would like to take advantage of the high BC bullets for long range steel and eventually deer.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    I've had very promising results in my daughter's recently rebarreled .243 with H-1000 and 105 Bergers, but have not had time to finish working with it. I had been shooting Retumbo with 115s and 105s before the rebarrel, but her new barrel doesn't seem to shoot well with anything resembling her old load.

Woodsonchris

May 11, 2012
    How do they kill? Generally we shoot deer as part of a club in WV and do large scale deer drives. The 95 NBT dumps them in short order. Curious if anyone has taken any game with the slippery 105s.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    How do they kill? Generally we shoot deer as part of a club in WV and do large scale deer drives. The 95 NBT dumps them in short order. Curious if anyone has taken any game with the slippery 105s.
    I was giving examples of the heavier bullets we had used. I would NOT use any of the match HPs on deer in a normal hunting setting, expansion is not reliable. The key information is the powders that worked well with these bullet weights.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Yes, but not .243 bullets. I shot several crop-damage deer broadside with a 6.5-284 using Sierra 142s at 250 to 400 yards and they did not expand. I also shot a few with .308/175 SMKs and they too failed to open up. Even though the deer died from correct placement, I would not use MatchKings for conventional hunting situations. I killed a bedded buck at 392 yards with a 155 Scenar from a .30-06AI. Broke both shoulders and never expanded, leaving an exit wound of about 1/2", mostly due to bone frags driven through. There is a reason that these "OTM" (open tip match) bullets can be used in war without violating the Hague Convention.

We shoot into big hillsides that are mainly a clay-based soil. I find well expanded hunting bullets out to about 600, but beyond that expansion is marginal unless it's a magnum of some sort. With the match-grade HPBT bullets, I find them entirely intact anywhere I want to dig them out from 300 yards to beyond 1,200.

My own opinion is that bullets designed for target/match are generally unsuitable for hunting. An exception may be the A-Max, but you'll need to test them at your own terminal velocities to see if they will perform as desired.

Much of the BS surrounding ballistic comparisons is based on the small numerical differences in BC values that often aren't even visible until we exceed normal hunting distances. If you are shooting 6" groups at 600 yards and the difference in BC between a decent hunting bullet and a match bullet only provides a 5" advantage, you are just deluding yourself if you think there is any practical difference.

There are so many good hunting bullets out there, I'd not try to use the wrong bullet for the job.

I just had four guys in here for the last two days getting ready for a trophy deer hunt in Alberta. Two of them used Barnes bullets and were able to consistently hit a 10" target at 600 yards. Barnes are well known for excellent terminal performance and with precision like this, there is no reason not to use them for long range hunting. One of my students took an elk at 300 yards last year with a .300 WinMag and a Barnes, and the bullet exited on a broadside shot and left an exit wound of about 1-1/2".

Woodsonchris

May 11, 2012
    Well between my step father and myself we have two fast twist 243s made by Clarence Hammonds. I'm gonna try the 105s next year on deer. I don't have enough time to do ligitamate load development for a new bullet and two different rifles.

Some people also believe a 22-250 doesn't kill deer effectively....

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    OP,

Using a match bullet and not a game bullet is a good way to wound an animal and prolong it's suffering.

Best to hunt deer with the correct bullets or don't hunt deer at all.

They were not put on this earth for experimentation purposes.

Woodsonchris

May 11, 2012
    That sounds good and all but does anyone have any experience in reality actually using these bullets on game or are you just recycling something you read? Seems to be a rather large following using the high BC 6mms on game with great success.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    That sounds good and all but does anyone have any experience in reality actually using these bullets on game or are you just recycling something you read? Seems to be a rather large following using the high BC 6mms on game with great success.

You seem determined to hunt deer with a bullet that's designed for punching holes in paper.

Maybe you're the one who should do some actual research regarding bullet design and affect on medium sized game.

Have fun.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    If you don't have enough time to do ligitamate load development for a new bullet and two different rifles, just grab a box of .243 hunting ammo (any will do) and zero your rifle for it at reasonable game distances. In MD, you are not going to take deer at 800yards.

Woodsonchris

May 11, 2012
    Post #7 above. Experience was indicated in the post.

I appreciate you taking the time to write that out. Very informative. We have had outstanding results with the 95 Nosler BT both in terms of terminal performance and accuracy. Having the 1-8" twist I just want to try out the 105s mostly for long range steel. Read a lot of different opinions on the slippery 6mms.

5 shots at 100 yards
    Lapua brass
    42 grains of H4350
    95 Nosler BT

These WILL punch shoulders through and through. Excellent bullet.

peace

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2011
    AACo
    Berger 105 hybrid over H4350 will do the trick.

Many people will say they are concerned with terminal performance because they aren't explicitly a hunting below. To them I'd show a pile of dead critters.

Rob01

Sep 27, 2011
    CT
    I use 42.6grns of H4350 with the Hornady 105 BTHP loaded .020" of the lands in Hornady brass and it's very accurate. Gives me 3080fps. Below is a 4 shot group at 400 yards. I needed the last syhot to check my zero as it was my last round with me at the range but wish I would have sent it into this group after seeing it.

MsoocEP.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom