• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • berettaRob

May 3, 2023
    Dundalk md
    So I have been looking around the forum I'm a new member but have been through the forum quite a bit. I moved her 5 years ago from VA and I am just not super familiar with all aspects of MD gun law. My father in law would like to gift me a wasr 10. I know ak47 in all variants is banned in MD but I've had afew people tell me that a family member can gift it to me and I've also heard that they can't. So my question is since he is from what I know considered a direct family member is it possible for him to gift it to me and just use a 77R form, or is this not allowed do to it being a banned firearm in MD?

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    He can not gift it to you, the only way it would be legal is if he leaves it to you in his will then you’ll get it when he passes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Phoenix_1295

Creature of Life and Fire
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 6, 2010
    MD
    So I have been looking around the forum I'm a new member but have been through the forum quite a bit. I moved her 5 years ago from VA and I am just not super familiar with all aspects of MD gun law. My father in law would like to gift me a wasr 10. I know ak47 in all variants is banned in MD but I've had afew people tell me that a family member can gift it to me and I've also heard that they can't. So my question is since he is from what I know considered a direct family member is it possible for him to gift it to me and just use a 77R form, or is this not allowed do to it being a banned firearm in MD?
    As a general FYI, father-in-law is not an “immediate family” member for a gift transfer via 77r. A transfer from an in-law would follow the “secondary sale” transfer process, even if no money changes hands.

IronEye

MDS Supporter
    Feb 10, 2018
    Howard County
    For a "regular" long gun a Father-in-Law is immediate family. He's a parent - as related by marriage.

Of course both seller and buyer must be Maryland residents.

5–201.
    (c) “Immediate family member” means a spouse, a parent, a stepparent, a grandparent, a stepgrandparent, an aunt, an uncle, a sibling, a stepsibling, a child, a stepchild, a grandchild, a stepgrandchild, a niece, or a nephew, as related by blood or marriage.

If this is a regulated firearm then disregard the above.

Phoenix_1295

Creature of Life and Fire
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 6, 2010
    MD
    For a "regular" long gun a Father-in-Law is immediate family. He's a parent - as related by marriage.

Of course both seller and buyer must be Maryland residents.

5–201.
    (c) “Immediate family member” means a spouse, a parent, a stepparent, a grandparent, a stepgrandparent, an aunt, an uncle, a sibling, a stepsibling, a child, a stepchild, a grandchild, a stepgrandchild, a niece, or a nephew, as related by blood or marriage.

If this is a regulated firearm then disregard the above.
    That, actually, does not include an in-law.

IronEye

MDS Supporter
    Feb 10, 2018
    Howard County
    The definition i cited defined immediate family member as it applies to a long gun transfer in the state of Maryland. You can't claim that the definition specifically included in the statute does not apply to that statute. Or we can just agree to disagree.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom