• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GAS_OPERATED

Mar 2, 2013
    Leonardtown
    It is my understanding that FAL and/or G3 rifles without folding stocks will still be legal after 10/1. Is it true?
    I've always wanted a stamped steel battle rifle. If these are banned too, I swear I will move withing the next 2 years.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    I just checked the list and you are correct! It specifically states HK91 A3. Nice little loophole there!

mdcktt21

Jan 25, 2013
    Central MD
    At the end of the day it comes down to how your ffl interprets the list.

This is good to keep in mind. Different FFL's will apply the law to their business in different ways.

As they are businessmen and not lawyers or enforcement agents, some may have an interest in being on the conservative side when interpreting these laws. Your experience may vary, but you can likely find some FFL's that would be willing to sell you items as cash and carry whereas others would like to sell it as regulated.

Of course, there are firearms, like an AR15 style rifle in .223/5.56, that everyone will want to sell as regulated as the law is fairly clear on this item.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    I had hopes of building a G3, but the cost isn't something I can overcome by Oct 1.
    I guess I'll have to wait until I move out of state one day, or until this crap eventually dies by way of courts or voters.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    I had hopes of building a G3, but the cost isn't something I can overcome by Oct 1.
    I guess I'll have to wait until I move out of state one day, or until this crap eventually dies by way of courts or voters.

Buy a PTR91 receiver. They are generally $250 or less. Have it built later...

impretzle

Apr 10, 2013
    It also has the G3/SAR8 listed under Springfield.

I do not see the "SAR8" on the list under Springfield. Only "G3."

With that being said, the HK 91 is not a g3. The receivers are different. The hk91 has a semi auto "shelf" that the lower sits on.
    The g3 has a push pin where that shelf is for the full auto fire control group.

I'm no lawyer though ;)

Hope this helps.

aspade

Sep 27, 2008
    Full stock hk91/clone was cash and carry for me. The list specifically says the "hk91 a3" which is the collapsible stock version.
    At the end of the day it comes down to how your ffl interprets the list.

Just keep in mind that if MDSP decides that your FFL has interpreted the list "wrong", YOU are the one who can be charged with possessing an illegal assault weapon after Oct 1st and they can take your gun rights away forever.

Last edited:

janklow

Feb 6, 2013
    you know, this raises a question i had: years ago, i bought a CETME, the purchase was done as if the firearm was regulated, blah, blah, blah. now leaving aside the concept of the FFL running the sale that way to cover his ass... is that common? or should a CETME be cash and carry?

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    I do not see the "SAR8" on the list under Springfield. Only "G3."

With that being said, the HK 91 is not a g3. The receivers are different. The hk91 has a semi auto "shelf" that the lower sits on.
    The g3 has a push pin where that shelf is for the full auto fire control group.

I'm no lawyer though ;)

Hope this helps.

It's listed as "G3", but it's also known by the SAR-8 designation. They are semi-auto G3 pattern rifles, the same as an HK91. They were made in Greece, I believe.

I doubt you'll find any FFLs in MD willing to risk their ass on transferring any G3 pattern rifle after 10/1.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    It's listed as "G3", but it's also known by the SAR-8 designation. They are semi-auto G3 pattern rifles, the same as an HK91. They were made in Greece, I believe.

I doubt you'll find any FFLs in MD willing to risk their ass on transferring any G3 pattern rifle after 10/1.

It would definitely be risky unless you really had a way of differentiating it from all the other banned variants.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom