• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • browning guy

SCRUFFY NERF HERDER
    Dec 10, 2009
    Essex
    So what happened?

Well this fella gets the bright Idea to put this fake corn around the two pit's he liked to hunt out of and a few day's later this green pick up shows up and the nice Dnr officer tells us they were checking the fields for bait!

It seems when they were doing a low level fly over they spotted them. Well the officer told us they were not illegal and we could use them.

But the rest of the season we were check every other weekend by the man.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    My thinking is that:

1. They're probably legal, and

2. Don't work very well. If they did, everyone would use those and not full body decoys.

Agreed. This is a curiosity thing. It is not something I have an ounce of interest in doing. Same thing with the fake corn rubber mat things for deer hunting.

mark71211

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2012
    Edgewater
    But is it worth dnr seeing it then coming out all the time to make sure that one day you don't try and pull a switch for real corn. Which I'm pretty sure that you wont but you got to think like the dnr does here and thatonly cause you know some knuckle heads will try.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    But is it worth dnr seeing it then coming out all the time to make sure that one day you don't try and pull a switch for real corn. Which I'm pretty sure that you wont but you got to think like the dnr does here and thatonly cause you know some knuckle heads will try.

Well, theory as it may be, the knuckleheads who do and get caught doing, deserve the getting caught doing.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I'll buy your gear at the DNR auction

I can assure you, none of it will have my name on it. As you can tell, I like to find out the facts before I do anything that's not written. I pride myself on being ethical and moral when it comes to hunting. Some guys just don't.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    You may want to stay with the fake corn. The bage of corn at Dicks is up $4.00 from last year.

Well, I'm not concerned with bag of corn prices, I don't buy corn from the stores. If Dicks is up $4.00 / bag from last year, then they are ripping someone off. Corn prices have not risen that high anywhere in this country.

My debate over fake corn is relative only to Waterfowl hunting. Baiting Deer is known legal, but, I'm questioning using fake corn for Waterfowl. I don't use it, never have. I am simply curious about the use of it.

Is it a "bait" or a "decoy"... There's a gray area there and no one knows the fact of the matter.

travismxi

Nov 14, 2010
    http://corndecoy.com/

he's a local guy in southern maryland who has a patent on this. i have actually seen a goose try to pick it up and then looked at it before walking around confused and then flying off

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    http://corndecoy.com/

he's a local guy in southern maryland who has a patent on this. i have actually seen a goose try to pick it up and then looked at it before walking around confused and then flying off

Please, before I even waste my time opening the link I know what it is. Please do not waste my time with this. I don't even have the desire to open the link because I'm sure it is going to direct me to La Plata, Maryland. I also have no interest in his patent. You can patent anything, but, that by far means it works. 10-4 ? Now, if it is this Real Allusive corn thing... I can share many more stories with you of guys who have tried this and watched Deer, Turkeys, and other animals walk right by it with zero interest.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Seems like you wasted more time responding. Sorry for trying to help.

I don't mean to offend you, that's not my intentions, but, in all honesty, I have a firm opinion of this real allusive corn kernel thing and it has been a thorn in the side of many hunters in the Southern Maryland area.

It's one of those hunting products that should come with a 30 day money back guarantee. At least a "try-before-you-buy" item. I also have to add that if as many people used this product as all of the self-proclaimed-miracle of said product and advertising that was done for it, then it might be something.

But I seen guys that buy it and then tell all the stories about all the deer that didn't know it was even there. Deer have extremely sensitive noses and I feel the same as most others do, they "smell distillates". What's in rubber and plastic ?

travismxi

Nov 14, 2010
    No problem. It just seemed like it was something along the lines a what you were talking about. Good luck this year!

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    No problem. It just seemed like it was something along the lines a what you were talking about. Good luck this year!

No harm, no foul. I'm simply trying to find out if "Fake Corn" period is allowed for Waterfowl hunting in Maryland, nothing more, nothing less. I am referring to "Fake Corn Cobs" specifically. I am going on the principle of "it looks like corn, it must be corn" from the air of course.

Now, regarding the other "product" if I wanted something like that, I would simply paint landscaping mulch yellow and pile in on the ground. From the air, if the birds even care about it from the start, it all looks the same, a yellow pile of something. An oblong yellow "corn cob" is a bit more distinguishable from the air to both Resident and Migrating birds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom