• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I have an ST-22 with a BCG that has that coating. It seems to work as advertised, but I've also noticed that some wear issues on the bolt face (namely, the coating is gone on part of it). Not a big deal, and Spikes will replace it if there's any rust issues, but it's not impervious to damage.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    NiB and chrome bolts are all I run in my ARs. Fail Zero used to use notched hammers and unshrouded varriers with NiB and I dont recomend them because of that. The treatment is an improvement.

For a regular AR it may not be worth it but a suppressed AR it helps.

I use Spikes Chrome and NiB bolt assemblies. They are rounded hammers, shrouded M16 carriers.

DeadIDik

Habitual Line Stepper!
    Aug 11, 2008
    Monkton - Kurt Wala 1952-2009
    I have an ST-22 with a BCG that has that coating. It seems to work as advertised, but I've also noticed that some wear issues on the bolt face (namely, the coating is gone on part of it). Not a big deal, and Spikes will replace it if there's any rust issues, but it's not impervious to damage.

Are you sure the coating is gone? The coating will change colors and look like its wearing but it isnt. If its gone id send it back but ive never heard of this happening and this stuff has been tryed and true for a long time and not just on weapons.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Are you sure the coating is gone? The coating will change colors and look like its wearing but it isnt. If its gone id send it back but ive never heard of this happening and this stuff has been tryed and true for a long time and not just on weapons.

It probably a Chromed Bolt. The NiB is not a typical coating from my understanding, its a treament to the metal thus it cant chip, flake, or peel.

JoeBobOutfitters.com

Industry Partner
    Oct 20, 2010
    Hays, KS

If it's the ST-22 did you get it aftermarket coated or was it the factory chrome BCG (basically ciener/cmmg type)?

We sell quite a few of the Spike's Nickle Boron BCG. They move really fast, and we've never had one returned. Good staking, and work well.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    It came that way from Spike's, as far as I know. I guess if NiB can't flake off, it must have been chromed? Weird, coulda sworn I had the NiB bolt. Ah well! Still runs pretty good even dry.

I do have a Spike's Battle Trigger, though, and that is definitely NiB (I'm told Spikes uses FZ for their NiB).

UPDATE: did some online research. Looks like it might be electroless nickel plating? That would explain why it runs so nicely dry, yet is flaking a bit.

Slimjim

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2007
    I believe that you can send a bolt carrier group to them and they will apply the fail zero coating to it.

JoeBobOutfitters.com

Industry Partner
    Oct 20, 2010
    Hays, KS
    I believe that you can send a bolt carrier group to them and they will apply the fail zero coating to it.

They used to do this, but apparently moved away from doing any of the "custom" work, which, IMO, sounds like a lot of work so might be more economical. Not exactly customer friendly however.

WMD Guns DOES do the custom work. From what I heard the WMD guys are actually broke off from FailZero and were some of the original founders, but there has been a falling out and...up sprung WMD Guns.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    I wonder the thickness these people are coating these parts? If you coat too thick you obviously change dimensions by a lot, I'm not sure the substrates are made smaller to allow buildup of the coating to bring them in dimension? Nothing on an AR is of a really precision machine fit but you don't endless tolerances to play with before something doesn't work

Electroless nickel boron is a good coating for what they are applying it too. I would think it would be a benefit to do the entire carrier and the 1" ID of the upper receiver, but mask everything else off on the receiver so it doesn't get coated. This would not be cheap especially with masking. Again... Some thinking of how dimensions effected by coating thickness

Kinda fits the idea of coating long tube headers on the outside, but not the inside. It helps, but it really helps if you do the inside

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    incase

Latest threads

Top Bottom