• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pitpawten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 28, 2013
    So I've done a bunch of reading, and I'm still not clear why I would need a C&R license in order to sell 1 or more Mosins to some friends (all MD residents) if I bought a crate.

I've spoken with my FFL and as I understand it, I can sell to whomever I want in MD as these aren't regulated firearms.

Am I missing some glaringly obvious hangup here?

Also (related), in my contact with classicfirearms they seem to indicate that if I drove down I could do a cash purchase directly from them and avoid FFL transfer fees etc. Is there any legal hangup with this as a non C&R holder?

Hey, you've got to ask to learn, even if it does indicate how little you know :o

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    ClassicFirearms is an FFL and you'll do the Form 4473 there.

You can't buy it with the intent to sell. If you bought 20 Mosins because you think it's cool, and then you end up selling a few because you get bored with them or you need money, then that's legal. If you bought 20 Mosins to give a few to friends, then that's illegal. However, if you go to an FFL have him transfer those Mosins to your friends, then could be legal.

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    You are correct in all points. You do NOT need a C&R (FFL-03) to buy rifles out of State (In Person at the FFL) nor do you need one to sell rifles in State.

The C&R lets you get rifles and pistols that are C&R eligible mailed directly to your door.

Just a FYI/CYA when you sell the Rifles in State, make sure you get a bill of sale that states the buyer is NOT in violation of any State or Federal law when they purchase your Rifles. It would be a good idea to get their DL # too.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    ClassicFirearms is an FFL and you'll do the Form 4473 there.

You can't buy it with the intent to sell. If you bought 20 Mosins because you think it's cool, and then you end up selling a few because you get bored with them or you need money, then that's legal. If you bought 20 Mosins to give a few to friends, then that's illegal. However, if you go to an FFL have him transfer those Mosins to your friends, then could be legal.

Please notice the underlying tones in this response and hopefully you understand what he is attempting to convey because this is a perfect answer :party29:

pitpawten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 28, 2013
    Not as ignorant as I thought :)

Guys, thanks much for the quick answers :thumbsup:

These responses make it completely clear on all points. Definitely appreciate the clarification on intent. Heck once I get my grubby little hands on these, I may not want to part with anything!

I've heard the Mosin bug bites hard and symptoms show quickly :D

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    So I've done a bunch of reading, and I'm still not clear why I would need a C&R license in order to sell 1 or more Mosins to some friends (all MD residents) if I bought a crate.
    I've spoken with my FFL and as I understand it, I can sell to whomever I want in MD as these aren't regulated firearms.

Am I missing some glaringly obvious hangup here?

Also (related), in my contact with classicfirearms they seem to indicate that if I drove down I could do a cash purchase directly from them and avoid FFL transfer fees etc. Is there any legal hangup with this as a non C&R holder?

Hey, you've got to ask to learn, even if it does indicate how little you know :o

That shows intent right there, be careful. That could be read as acting as a "dealer".

There is a grey line thats sometimes hard for the individual to see. When you step over, I am sure law enforcment will let you know. :o

pitpawten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 28, 2013
    Right on, I'm not interested in dancing on the line, let alone stepping over it, that's why I'm asking up front.

Appreciate all the answers!

BeltBuckle

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2008
    MoCo, MD
    Guys, thanks much for the quick answers :thumbsup:

These responses make it completely clear on all points. Definitely appreciate the clarification on intent. Heck once I get my grubby little hands on these, I may not want to part with anything!

you are already, quite clearly, infected.

no one here gets out alive...

pitpawten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 28, 2013
    Just get your C&R. You cant still be a dealer, but it makes it easier to get what you want.
    Yeah, I hear that on being able to get things easier, just not too enthralled by the book/inspection idea.

It just strikes me as more paperwork (of which my desk is already full) when firearms represent such a small portion of the plates I'm spinning at any one time.

Might just need to go ahead and do it.

What's wrong with having 20 Mosins all to yourself?
    I can build battlements around the 2nd story and mount them facing outwards like a castle! :D

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll

Once you buy the first one, you're doomed! Absolutely fantastic bolt rifles. After you have one, all the lower-priced new bolt rifles at gun shops will seem like toys and have you doing a non-stop facepalm compared to how silky smooth even a mediocre Mosin is.

pitpawten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 28, 2013
    Absolutely fantastic bolt rifles. After you have one, all the lower-priced new bolt rifles at gun shops will seem like toys

Yeah I'm stoked.

I'm actually trying not to read too much about them ahead of time so that I wind up raising my bar too high (looking for a dead specific year/model/maker etc).

I'm hoping its just as you say that the run of the mill Mosin is going to be plenty accurate/reliable and if I want to get picky down the road I wont regret having started simple.

Last edited:

Chaunsey

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2009
    brandywine MD
    as others have said, it comes down to intent, when the form asks you if you're buying the firearm for yourself, you need to be answering honestly yes.

now that said, when you buy a crate of mosins, you are most certainly buying for yourself, if after you've picked through them, you decide to sell a few duplicates or whatever, thats perfectly fine.

Yeah, I hear that on being able to get things easier, just not too enthralled by the book/inspection idea.

It just strikes me as more paperwork (of which my desk is already full) when firearms represent such a small portion of the plates I'm spinning at any one time.

it sounds a little daunting at first but its really not.

you fill out 4 pages of forms, send them out with $30, and then you just keep a simple binder with the required information each time you buy a gun takes less than a minute to record each purchase.

thats it, no further records, and inspections are incredibly rare, and even if you do get inspected, you can opt to go to them, they only need to see your records, not your guns.

theres really no downside to getting a C&R license.

smoothebore

Just a question, please don't flame me. No malicious intent here, just curious. How can the guy who bought 2 crates and did a group buy not be seen as a dealer?

It's pretty simple really. The ATF says you can't run a business on a C&R license. To buy two crates of Mosins and split up the costs ammong a bunch of guys equally, to just cover the purchase and shipping costs, is not a business. A business makes money, as in profit to live on, so breaking even with some new friends is not running a business.
    I believe you're thinking of a dealer as anyone who buys and sells guns. As C&R license holders, we all buy and sell guns, for our collections. We are not in business.

Chaunsey

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2009
    brandywine MD
    It's pretty simple really. The ATF says you can't run a business on a C&R license. To buy two crates of Mosins and split up the costs ammong a bunch of guys equally, to just cover the purchase and shipping costs, is not a business. A business makes money, as in profit to live on, so breaking even with some new friends is not running a business.
    I believe you're thinking of a dealer as anyone who buys and sells guns. As C&R license holders, we all buy and sell guns, for our collections. We are not in business.

you dont have to break even either.

making a profit on a purchase is not enough to be considered dealing in firearms.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom