Nov 22, 2022
    Any fans of 38 special?

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Any fans of 38 special?

Yep! And 44 Special. And 45 Colt. And .357 and 41 and 44 Magnum.

Great rounds all.

Arloe

Dec 30, 2023
    Oberlin, KS
    .38 Special is my favorite caliber, primarily based on its historic symbolism. Here, REM-UMC sealed .38 Sp. boxes are c. 1913 to 1916. Middle box of .38 Colt Sp. is black powder loading, which was the caliber's original powder. Colt would never give their competitor S&W any designation, so they simply truncated the original roundnose with a slightly flattened meplat and called it a .38 Colt Sp. (also .32 and .38 Colt New Police instead of .32 S&W Long and .38 S&W).

The "theme" or "message" of this symbolic display is the longevity of the caliber. Revolver is late 1970s M10 S&W with classic 6" pencil bbl.
    20240103_110158.jpg

Last edited:

28Shooter

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2010
    Baltimore, Maryland
    I like to shoot .38 Special. Mistake a lot of the young bucks make is that the get an older Model 10 or similar fixed-sighted revolver and try to shoot 130 grain factory loads through them. They don't like them as they were regulated at the factory for 158 grain loads but will tolerate 148 grain wadcutters. Yeah, I remember when dinosaurs roamed the Earth and Mr. Ford invented his horseless carriage...

imaoldcowhand

Aug 3, 2018
    I like .38 Spl and +P better than .357.
    Yeah, old age and arthritis does make a difference.

I'm currently looking to trade my like new Taurus PT92 Compact w/ 4 magazines for an S&W M10 w/ heavy barrel.

Any takers?

Arloe

Dec 30, 2023
    Oberlin, KS
    I like .38 Spl and +P better than .357.
    Yeah, old age and arthritis does make a difference.

I'm currently looking to trade my like new Taurus PT92 Compact w/ 4 magazines for an S&W M10 w/ heavy barrel.

Any takers?
    From Field and Stream a century ago, October 1923. This should exacerbate your desire for that M10!
    20240103_121933.jpg

Last edited:

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    I grew up on 38 special and still like to shoot it. The problem is it is over priced and the lack of 158g .

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    For several years, my Sp-101 was loaded with "FBI load" 158 gr LSWCHP. I eventually switched over to specific short barrel .357 mag loads. I still like .38 Spl very much and it's always the first centerfire revolver round that I use with a new shooter.

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    Like others, learned to shoot with a .38 special. A S&W model 10. Love the .38 special.

I also carry a J Frame with .38 special +P Gold Dots on a somewhat regular basis.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    So why can't we find 158 gr (LRN, SWC...whatever) readily available anymore? Where'd this 130 gr silliness come from and why is it (now) so ubiquitous? :shrug:

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    I'm new to this forum and am therefore unsure exactly how you "Gotcha" me, or even why you would try to do so. Nevertheless, I am happy to say "You win!"

I’m not cowhand but this may be a generational thing. Gotcha to me means: ah ok, got you now. Now I understand, etc. It’s not a negative phrase.

Maybe we need a pole or thread similar to “fair enough”.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I’m not cowhand but this may be a generational thing. Gotcha to me means: ah ok, got you now. Now I understand, etc. It’s not a negative phrase.

Maybe we need a pole or thread similar to “fair enough”.
    Tender toes?

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    I like to shoot .38 Special. Mistake a lot of the young bucks make is that the get an older Model 10 or similar fixed-sighted revolver and try to shoot 130 grain factory loads through them. They don't like them as they were regulated at the factory for 158 grain loads but will tolerate 148 grain wadcutters. Yeah, I remember when dinosaurs roamed the Earth and Mr. Ford invented his horseless carriage...
    Yes.
    Everyone has the awful 130 grain FMJ, hard to find 148 WC or 158 SWC. Use to reload for it but don’t anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom