• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    How do you guys get paid? I am starting to work with a security company to do training to included Nra courses and others. The question of my pay has come up and I have no idea. Do you guys get an hourly rate no matter the amount of students? Per student rate? Any thoughts are appreciated.

TD

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    What does your contract state?

Never agree to teach for a company without a written contract that specifies the rate of compensation and when the compensation will be paid (i.e. prior to course, 1/2 before-1/2 after, or at completion). You may also want to specify that you do not guaranty that everyone taking the class will pass it. If you are charging by student, does a failing student get to retake the class at no charge until he/she passes?

I have been burned on this before by companies. Righ now I charge by the student based upon the class being taught (i.e. $100.00 per student for RSO, $150.00 for MD Carry renewal, $300.00 for Initial MD Carry, etc). If the student fails, he or she pays again.

Just my thoughts.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    There is no money in firearm instruction anymore.

Consider doing immigration and citizenship consulting instead.

Thank you.

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    I have different ways of charging... depends on the venue.
    When I do corporate training I charge a flat price. They can have 1 person in class or they can have 12. This is much easier for business to budget.
    I declare a "lock" in date where if they cancel past a certain date and time they pay a penalty up to 100% of the cost of the class.
    Make it clear how payment will be accepted and when payment is due.

Good luck.

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CHUNKERMD
    I help introduce people to the shooting sports and promote safety.....Priceless.
    +1

as for the op.

you should have planned ahead before taking the job.

I am planning the training with the business owner from the ground up, we are doing the planning right now. As I have stated this is a brand new opportunity and part of his company.

I assure you a great deal of planning is going into this, which is why I am asking opinions of the shooting community.

TD
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CypherPunk
    There is no money in firearm instruction anymore.

You nailed it. Too many cooks.....

Def understand, I have taken a few years just to find a place that needed an instructor. Seems like every range has someone who teaches already. It almost seems like the instructor. Cert is a formality. I'm glad it ain't my main source of income.

TD

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    I am planning the training with the business owner from the ground up, we are doing the planning right now. As I have stated this is a brand new opportunity and part of his company.

I assure you a great deal of planning is going into this, which is why I am asking opinions of the shooting community.

TD

great! wish you all the luck. :)

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Based on my experiences in having our own business, unless you REALLY trust them, require payment up front or at least prior to giving out the training certificates.

Many people/companies will come up with ALL sorts of excuse why they shouldn't pay what they promised to pay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom