• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gabe72

Ultimate Member
    Aug 26, 2012
    sharpsburg
    Msp troopers don't like seeing them in vehicles,all the ones I know and have seen mine are in my toe trucks and I say they are for checking the tires and emergency wrecks for breaking glass, they always say don't go toward the zoo with them in the trucks.

Dec 6, 2011
    Carried open openly without the intent or purpose of injuring an individual in an unlawful manner, you're fine. Use it on someone and reasonable use is up to a court....an individual who carries the weapon as a reasonable precaution against apprehended danger, subject to the right of the court in an action arising under this section to judge the reasonableness of the carrying of the weapon, and the proper occasion for carrying it, under the evidence in the case.

http://law.justia.com/codes/maryland/2010/criminal-law/title-4/subtitle-1/4-101

If it gets found after you chase some a-hole down following a road rage incident, you've got a problem.

A maglite is always a better option in a vehicle. Much like the officer that uses it to crack skulls, you can claim it's primary purpose is illumination. Been there, done that.

Midway makes a baton just slightly taller than a blue jeans back pocket collapsed and 16 inches extended. It's just barely visible. If you can see it at all, it's not concealed.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/32...ft-with-foam-rubber-grip?cm_vc=ProductFinding

When I see them on a clean cut citizen, I always figure it's a smart cop out for a night of drinking that doesn't want a bad shoot on his hands. Booze, guns, and court rooms never mix.

Ethan83

Ultimate Member
    Jan 8, 2009
    Baltimoreish
    Carried open openly without the intent or purpose of injuring an individual in an unlawful manner, you're fine. Use it on someone and reasonable use is up to a court....an individual who carries the weapon as a reasonable precaution against apprehended danger, subject to the right of the court in an action arising under this section to judge the reasonableness of the carrying of the weapon, and the proper occasion for carrying it, under the evidence in the case.

http://law.justia.com/codes/maryland/2010/criminal-law/title-4/subtitle-1/4-101

If it gets found after you chase some a-hole down following a road rage incident, you've got a problem.

A maglite is always a better option in a vehicle. Much like the officer that uses it to crack skulls, you can claim it's primary purpose is illumination. Been there, done that.

Midway makes a baton just slightly taller than a blue jeans back pocket collapsed and 16 inches extended. It's just barely visible. If you can see it at all, it's not concealed.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/32...ft-with-foam-rubber-grip?cm_vc=ProductFinding

When I see them on a clean cut citizen, I always figure it's a smart cop out for a night of drinking that doesn't want a bad shoot on his hands. Booze, guns, and court rooms never mix.

I haven't brushed up on MD weapon laws in a little while... I recall exploring this topic in the past, and the conclusion essentially was that technically you ought to get off, especially if carried openly, but it's enough of a grey area to not be worth it.

So my question is, what if it's kept in say, the glovebox or center console of a vehicle? Does that count as "carrying" the "weapon"?

lowoncash

Baned
    Jan 4, 2010
    Calvert county
    Besides the carrying issues themselves there will always be the question of 'use of deadly force' depending on where and how the strike is made on th attacker. Lot to think about on this one.

My thought is for vehicle carry. In my Toyota pickup I have the tire iron on the floor between the seat and the door, that's where it was when I bought it so its my less lethal emergency tool if I ever needed it. The baton would be a smaller version. I have seem them for about $20 at the gun shows.
    I wanted to CMA if I bought one.

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    I'd be curious to know the law and actual interpretations on this as well. I was under the impression is was fine to own one but to "carry" in general was muddy at best. Anyone have the definitive word (if one actually exists in this F'd up state)?

Mr H

Banana'd
    I'd be curious to know the law and actual interpretations on this as well. I was under the impression is was fine to own one but to "carry" in general was muddy at best. Anyone have the definitive word (if one actually exists in this F'd up state)?

This is kinda where I am as well on this.

I have them. I transport them.

But actual use, I would want to know that I had no other options.

Of course, they are not real good for knocking bullets out of the air (or is that just me?!;))

They are small enough to stash in every room. I can't afford a few more guns in hidden places. No kids here and less money if found and stolen. Man am I paranoid because I want several options in each room. I think a home invasion is worst case. Most people get bound and killed in those situations.

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    I carry an Airweight ASP in my car (24/7/365) primarily to use while I am walking my dog (attacked once with no defensive measures, NEVER AGAIN). I have often CONTEMPLATED carrying a 16" ASP clip-On-Baton if I am going somewhere that it might be needed. It seems to fit in a pocket nicely.

F8L_Funnel

Jan 28, 2013
    Similar to MSP's ruling on Brass Knuckles. If they are on you belt as a "buckle" then they are fine. As soon as they go in your pocket it is a concealed weapon. Go figure :banghead:

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    Similar to MSP's ruling on Brass Knuckles. If they are on you belt as a "buckle" then they are fine. As soon as they go in your pocket it is a concealed weapon. Go figure :banghead:

So hypothetically speaking, if I had one in a belt carrier (similar to a cell phone carrier or something) this would be ok!? This is where I'm lost. If I can't carry a gun in Marylandistan I'd like to at least know if I could carry a baton for defensive purposes ONLY.

Police officers carry these in little leather belt cases similar to cuff carriers etc. can civilians do the same then!?

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    So hypothetically speaking, if I had one in a belt carrier (similar to a cell phone carrier or something) this would be ok!? This is where I'm lost. If I can't carry a gun in Marylandistan I'd like to at least know if I could carry a baton for defensive purposes ONLY.

Police officers carry these in little leather belt cases similar to cuff carriers etc. can civilians do the same then!?

"I believe", according to the law, you are OK to do this. I have never been stopped by any LE while I have been carrying a baton (always keep it visible and open). YMMV

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    "I believe", according to the law, you are OK to do this. I have never been stopped by any LE while I have been carrying a baton (always keep it visible and open). YMMV

I appreciate your stance. I'm going to have to dig a bit on this. Maybe contacting MSP or local attorney? Any MDS attorneys want to chime in with an opinion here?? LEOs?

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    Funny (sad) thing that we even have to have discussions about if it is legal to carry a stick, and not even a sharp pointy one at that. Reminds me of a Monty Python skit about how to defend yourself if attacked with a banana.

Decoy

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 2, 2007
    Dystopia
    Funny (sad) thing that we even have to have discussions about if it is legal to carry a stick, and not even a sharp pointy one at that. Reminds me of a Monty Python skit about how to defend yourself if attacked with a banana.

+1

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom