• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Snagged this on Gunbroker about 5 months ago or so.

After World War One the Allies and the Treaty of Versailles forced the German’s to destroy much of their armaments.

There were a lot of excess Gewehr 98 rifles left over, so instead of turning them into scrap, many of them were bought up by commercial companies or gunsmiths. One of the weirder conversions was into 12, 16 or 20 Gauge shotguns.

Some of you might have seen one of the common Geha Shotgun’s that are usually laying around at a gun show somewhere or pop up in shops every now and then. They aren’t very nice as far as shotguns go, and we’re meant to be a cheap working man’s gun. They were converted in the 1920’s and 30’s.

The three main “brands” of these shotguns are “Geha”, “Hard Hit Heart” and “Remo”. Remo’s are usually considered to be better quality.

Many old-timers question the safety of these conversions (especially the 12 Gauges) due to the amount of material shaved from the receiver for the new barrel and the front locking lugs don’t lock into anything. The bolt heads can also come loose and fall off, which is probably what most of the safety issues stem from.

This one is different however, it’s much more intricate and is much higher quality. It’s got a thicker 32” barrel with a ventilated rib, a very nice checkered stock, quality blued finish.

Like the other brands of Mauser shotguns, it has an internal magazine that holds one extra round.

I have found no references or photo’s to any other shotguns’s like this one other than an old forum post stating that Remo made a few custom order models called the “Model 129” with similar characteristics to this one.

It’s chambered in 12 Gauge. The chambers on these are described as being 2 1/2”, so I ordered some shells from RST. It test fired great and I’m looking forward to taking it out for clays one day soon.

mauser58

My home is a sports store
    Dec 2, 2020
    Baltimore County, near the Bay
    I have seen quite a few of them in the past. Always wanted one but most have no bolt heads. Hard to find and expensive. There are a few people that make the reproduction ones for them. Time consuming so they do not turn out too many. I always wanted a GEHA

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    I'm not opposed to a professional Bubba like this; I have a Bannerman Mosin carbine. The rib makes it look really sharp. Very cool.

tomcatfan

Jan 27, 2024
    St. Marys
    That's a really cool example with the ribbed barrel. It looks like it's in great shape. Just curious, what did you type in the search bar, or did you stumble on it?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I don't understand the concept of Ar shotguns. This is like a forerunner lol.

Yes .......... And substantially No

These , and the Lee- Enfield shotguns , were a workaround of how to make use of donor guns that legally and politically couldn't remain Rifles . Either from the viewpoint of the mfg or the end user .

It was an endeavour to make them into something useful to go bang , rather than melt them for scrap , not trying to create optimal Shotguns on purpose .

AR style and AK style shotguns were invented on purpose , and purpose built to be what they were . Because a sufficient number of mfg and buyers actually thougth they were a good idea , and willing to pay retail to get one

Added - Yes , I have seen them , more commonly 16ga & 20ga , but never that nice .

Last edited:

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    That looks nice. I have one that someone here said is a Mauser and it is a 12 ga. If interested in it I'll snap a pic for you guys cause I have no interest in it. I also know of another bolt action 12 ga. I have to look at closer.
    Joining MDS in '13 I cut my teeth here during the AR's legal battle beginnings so I have been taught to be more interested in a drum fed 12 ga as opposed to a bolt action LOL. Y'all are a bad influence!

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    That looks nice. I have one that someone here said is a Mauser and it is a 12 ga. If interested in it I'll snap a pic for you guys cause I have no interest in it. I also know of another bolt action 12 ga. I have to look at closer.
    Joining MDS in '13 I cut my teeth here during the AR's legal battle beginnings so I have been taught to be more interested in a drum fed 12 ga as opposed to a bolt action LOL. Y'all are a bad influence!
    I want to see that for curiosity sake

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    I want to see that for curiosity sake
    IMG_1558.jpeg IMG_1559.jpeg IMG_1560.jpeg
    This is how I got it. I have no idea what it is other than 12 ga.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom