Ever hunted Smithsonian Env. Research Center?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HogCommander

Aug 10, 2013
    Texas Hill Country
    Got notified today that I was selected for a managed hunt at the Smithsonian Environmental Research Center (SERC)...hopefully they will still let me since I missed the confirmation deadline.

Anybody hunt there before? The letter they sent says you can harvest a total of 5 deer (3 antlerless, 2 antlered but must take an antlerless prior to taking each buck). I've never even been there but sounds like the deer are overpopulated.

For those who have done a managed hunt at SERC before or know someone who has, specifically wondering:
    1. Were you successful? How would you describe your experience?
    2. Other than the application/selection process, is there anything different about a managed hunt or SERC in particular? Do they assign you a specific location or can you choose your own?
    3. Notification letter says the hunt is shotgun only and no mention of whether they honor the lesser weapon rule...anybody know if lesser weapon rule is honored?

Thanks in advance for any info/wisdom...

nedsurf

Ultimate Member
    Feb 8, 2013
    Tony Dove et. al. runs a good, safe managed hunt. The assigned spots will mostly be in the woods between farm fields. You have to use a tree stand. It helps the nighbors feel good about the trajectories of the slugs. You also have to do a scout day. I don't know about other firearms. There is some marsh lands. Whack that deer as good as you can so you don't have to track and retrieve from the tall grass marsh. It is worth the effort. It fell off of my radar. Perhaps I'll see you there next year.

Pretty sure it is...address maps out in Edgewater just south of 214.

I believe it is off Muddy Creek south of 214

On the left after you turn on Muddy Creek from 214.I've hunted property that borders it a couple times as a guest.It's not like "shooting ducks in a barrel" but I do believe they take a number to be shot at.There definitely are some nice deer in there.

54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    I hunted there about 2 or 3 years ago. You need to take a tree stand and set up within something like 50 yds from your assigned spot, a numbered sign on the ground. This was heavy woods, so shots beyond 75-100 yds are unlikely. There was a good sized buck, 6 or 8 point, moving through the woods about 200 yds off. With all the trees and branches, plus being up off the ground, it was not a ethical shot. Other than that, no deer seen. If you get the opening day, it might be worthwhile.

Chris

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 21, 2005
    Cecil Co, Maryland
    Have hunted twice both times sites were change from site day sites, Nice. I felt they were a bit confused. I didn't kill anything but that seems to be my luck the last couple of years. But I will say I have only been able to get out a few times also (business). Chris

RobSky

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Anne Arundel
    I drew second or third choice last year. Plenty of sign, but didnt see anything.
    If you do get selected by draw, I believe its just shotgun and that you have to qualify in order to hunt the property.

HogCommander

Aug 10, 2013
    Texas Hill Country
    Very much appreciate the info...I'm scheduled for opening day so hopefully the deer will be there. Archery season has put venison in the freezer but looking forward to some shotgun hunting too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Noha

Latest threads

Top Bottom