• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Expendables

Sep 8, 2010
    Parkville, MD
    Hello all,

My great uncle passed away last November and has a large collection of firearms, regulated and unregulated that his family is looking to sell. I don't have a list of the firearms yet, but I know he collected a lot of older valuable rifles. Does anyone have any recommendations for a decent FFL in Maryland who can handle an estate sale and put guns on consignment/gun broker?

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Tylers, Duffy's, engage, 2a, etc. But ask about fee's. You also could send them to auction and be done.
    Since no one has asked, what does he have ;)? Post a list if you have one.

pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County
    Knowledge is power. Your best bet is to get some kind of idea of the value, look at Gun Broker or other sites completed sales, sold items.
    Dealers have to make money but some are nothing more than widow robbers. First they will ask you how much do you want for them, "your guns, how much?"
    Then tell you the guns are worth half of what they really are, then offer you half of that. They'll explain how they have to make money and how long it'll take to get their money back, all true.
    There's reputable dealers as well though. If you have high end guns like rare Winchester model 70's or lever actions or Parker shotguns and double barrels or AR type, then you should seek out dealers who deal in those type of guns. Same is true with auctions, seek out auctions that deal with guns not household furniture and estates.
    Keep in mind still in production guns, a dealer can buy wholesale.

That said, when I retired I sold most of my collection. I already knew what everything was worth. I tried consignment @15% but with no luck at all.
    I then calculated the real market value, deducted 10% and offered them to Perry County Firearms, Greg Weiand. I emailed him in the wee hours of the morning. He called me at 8:30 am. and was at my house a couple hour later, paid mostly cash, bought some other parts too...gave me my asking price 100%, didn't even try to negotiate. Reputable dealers and high end shops are a pleasure to deal with, they treat everyone like family and WILL travel to buy nice guns. Shuman's in Newville PA is another good dealer.
    Good Luck, we'll be watching for the list.

SmokeEaterPilot

Jun 3, 2011
    You can also go through auction houses like RIAC. That's becoming more and more common these days. It's not unheard of for people to leave their collection to be consigned through the auction house and the funds are then distributed amongst the heirs via the directions of the will.

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    It may be a bit of a drive but I know GunRunners in Frederick have excellent rates on consignments.
    If it is a valuable collection, a few percentage points on fees may be hundreds of dollars you keep.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Redding's in Gettysburg would he high on my list. The guns will be listed all over and during auctions they do telephone bids from across the country
    They handle some pretty large gun collections

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Hello all,

My great uncle passed away last November and has a large collection of firearms, regulated and unregulated that his family is looking to sell. I don't have a list of the firearms yet, but I know he collected a lot of older valuable rifles. Does anyone have any recommendations for a decent FFL in Maryland who can handle an estate sale and put guns on consignment/gun broker?
    We handle estates on consignment. I would be happy to sit down with the family and go over the details. Reach out to me by PM.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    +1 for Va cause stuff that is now verboten in Md is no issue and Genesis can sell any C&R back to Md residents. They know how to price fair

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    +1 for Va cause stuff that is now verboten in Md is no issue and Genesis can sell any C&R back to Md residents. They know how to price fair.
    Seconded. Perrin brings in folks who have a lot of knowledge to help price (not me). He buys and sells at fair prices. My last few gun purchases have been through him.

Trigger Time

Amazed
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 23, 2013
    Hello all,

Remember even unregulated long guns are regulated now in Marylandstan , at least as far as transfer goes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Drake1990$

Latest threads

Top Bottom