• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Feb 6, 2012
    Hi, I'm looking to get an entry level bolt action .223 or .308 and just wanted some suggestions. I'm in college so naturally I do not have a lot of money so please keep it on the cheap side. So far I've looked at selections from Savage (Axis, Stevens), but those stocks seem really cheap.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Savage makes some good stuff for the money, accurate too. Don't put too much into the stock feeling cheap, you can always upgrade it later.

.223 is going to be cheaper ammo-wise, unless you get lucky and catch sales on .308.

tech24

HP rifle shooter
    Dec 15, 2011
    Frederick, MD
    Savage rifles are generally nice and accurate. Rem700 would also be a good choice..have seen a few that don't perform as well as expected out of the box but not many. If your target shooting get one with a heavy varmint contoured barrel.

JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County
    The most important bit of information is something that you didn't provide in your post, namely what do you intend to use the rifle for? The answers will be very different if you say hunting vice target shooting...and for both the next question becomes "what kind"? In target shooting for example, you'll get very different answers if you'll be doing informal shooting at 100 yds or formal NRA high-power competitions.

Joe

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    remington 700 is always a good choice, a wide variety of models based on what you want to do with it.

i shot my 700 sendero in .22-250 (total factory stock) two weeks ago after it's been sitting in the safe for several years. 1/2 MOA or better out to 400 yards with factory ammo and 3 shot groups (well to be truthful it was about 3/4 MOA at 100 - for some reason i usually get tighter groups, MOA wise, at longer ranges, perhaps i am concentrating more...).

the .308 will give you more options than the .223, especially big game hunting (deer, bear, etc). of course a little more recoil but nothing excessive. and ammo will be a little more expensive.

as far as scopes go, leupold and nikon have nice glass, especially for the money.

vs getting a 'cheap' rifle and scope, recommend you park cars, paint a house or something to put an extra couple of hundred bucks in your pocket to get a good product from a good brand.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    I would say Savage. The stock isn't a big deal. Having a good action and trigger is and Savage makes nice ones for the money, especially if you get AccuTrigger. If you get the standard trigger to save cash, it can be improved or upgraded later.

Feb 6, 2012
    The most important bit of information is something that you didn't provide in your post, namely what do you intend to use the rifle for? The answers will be very different if you say hunting vice target shooting...and for both the next question becomes "what kind"? In target shooting for example, you'll get very different answers if you'll be doing informal shooting at 100 yds or formal NRA high-power competitions.

Joe

Casual shooting with the purpose of growing more accustomed to shooting medium-large rifles.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    College student, not a lot of money, and wanting to fire some rounds...

Have you thought about bolt actions in other less expensive calibers? (Mosins & Mausers)

In the calibers you mention there are plenty of great choices. I really like the CZ-527 for a .223 rifle or carbine. (I have the carbine, love how it shoots.)

Feb 6, 2012
    I already have a Mosin Nagant. I specified those calibers because I want to get used to shooting them. If I didn't care about caliber I would be asking about .22lr rifles.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    I already have a Mosin Nagant. I specified those calibers because I want to get used to shooting them. If I didn't care about caliber I would be asking about .22lr rifles.

No problem. That's why I recommended a rifle in the caliber you were interested in! Good luck with your hunt for the right gun.

razorV23

TK421
    Dec 18, 2008
    Annapolis
    I looked into the Axis model for a blackout build I have underway, to my knowledge, the stock is not yet replacable, no one I know of makes one to fit it yet, that's why I didn't buy one.

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA

Attachments

• Marlin XS7 308.jpg
      Marlin XS7 308.jpg
      98.8 KB · Views: 381

pakman916

Apr 23, 2011
    MoCo, MD
    I'm in a similar boat as you, but I'm not necessarily trying to keep it cheap...although it's an option. I've had my heart set on a Remington 700 SPS Tactical, but the more I research, the more I start to sway towards other options. The new Ruger American Rifle is very appealing. MSRP is $449, but it should sell for less (in the $300's?)

http://www.ruger.com/products/americanRifle/models.html

Feb 6, 2012
    No problem. That's why I recommended a rifle in the caliber you were interested in! Good luck with your hunt for the right gun.

I'm sorry, I hope didn't sound disrespectful.

I will probably end up getting a .22lr anyway; XD I was looking at one the other day (Marlin .22 with synthetic stocked and blued barrel), but it wasn't in the best condition for the price I would've paid.

I appreciate all of the suggestions everyone; I will say that I was not surprised when many people suggested the Rem 700, but I'm actually avoiding it for right now (what am I thinking right?) :o My brother had one and it was a fine rifle according to him (chambered for .300 win), but I don't know I guess I just want something different.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    The 700 is a fine rifle, but I've never really liked them (at least in standard flavor, 700 SPS fared better with me), the weight was one thing (not while bench-shooting, but imagine lugging one around for 2 days in the woods), and the factory trigger just didn't bowl me over, but they shot well enough even with those facets I didn't care for.

Marlin Model 60 - if it's an older model, grab it. I've got a 25+ y.o. Model 60 and it still shoots as good as the first time I shot it - it was a hand-me-down.

Newer Marlins I just don't trust yet, since Remington is running the show.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom