• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 6pack

MSI BOD Member
    Apr 2, 2012
    Eldersburg, MD
    So I've come across a person that says she has an Enfield No 4 Mark 1T sniper with two scope setups. One is the standard scope (Mark 32, I think?) with the knurled knob mount and the other is an Alaskan scope with a mount that has kind-of wing nut looking attachments.

The contact is through email, and the seller said she got it from a deceased grandfather and she is not very helpful.

Can someone tell me about these Alaskan scopes? From what I've read, I believe they were Canadian sniper setups made in 1944. Can someone confirm this? Are there any tells I should be looking for? From what I've read, the scope number is in the correct range for this rifle. The correct rifle serial number is on the scope, but I'm still trying to find out the actual number on the rifle.

Any help you can offer is much appreciated! :)

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    I know the Lyman Alaskan was used on some of the earlier M1903-A4's but have no knowledge of it being used on the NO4 MK1 T's as they had the MK 32 and variants thereof. The T snipers were primarily built by Holland & Holland and is determined by the S51 designation stamped underneath the pistol grip area. About 15 or so years ago, NO4 MK1 T's were available on the milsurp import market without scopes or bases but with the mounts affixed to the left side of the receiver. If the gun has import marks, most likely it is a put together.

6pack

MSI BOD Member
    Apr 2, 2012
    Eldersburg, MD
    Well, I came to an agreement with her, for the rifle and both scopes. I'll post up when I get them, and we'll find out what I ended up with. No risk no reward!

6pack

MSI BOD Member
    Apr 2, 2012
    Eldersburg, MD
    Well, I'm embarrassed to say it, but it appears I've been taken by this seller. Her name is Sharon Wilcox in New York. We had agreed to send a partial payment and then she would ship it with me sending the remainder after inspection. She took my first payment and disappeared. Don't get tricked like me. :(

Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    Well, I'm embarrassed to say it, but it appears I've been taken by this seller. Her name is Sharon Wilcox in New York. We had agreed to send a partial payment and then she would ship it with me sending the remainder after inspection. She took my first payment and disappeared. Don't get tricked like me. :(

That really sucks, I'm sorry to hear that. I hope you didn't lose too much. How did you find this person? Did you get her contact info from another person? How long ago did you send the payment?

Edit: http://www.armslist.com/posts/2487755/buffalo-new-york-rifles-for-sale--scammer-on-steyr-rifle
    It seems like this is the same person. Looks like you're not the first one to be taken by this guy.
    More: http://www.armslist.com/posts/24877...ammers-are-requesting-you-contact-them-direct

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    I'm so sorry to hear about the fraud. Can only hope the scam artist gets apprehended. Perhaps a call to the authorities local to where you sent payment would be in order. Or if payment was made using a UPS money order you should report the incident to your postmaster. I know it's looking grim at this point but it wouldn't hurt and you just might get lucky.
    In any case I appreciate your warning to the rest of the group. We do need to stick together against this type of fraud.

Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    It may be too soon to break out the pitchforks and torches...

Who is dumb enough to mess around with gun people and take their money??

I was thinking the same thing initially, but look at the first link from my post. "Sharon Wilcox" in NY is currently a known scammer. The second link is also from NY warning about contact directly through email. OP says the contact with Sharon Wilcox was through email. I'm guessing OP originally saw the listing for the sniper rifle on Armslist or a similar site.

Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    Follow this through the best you can. I agree, call the local police.

Agree with this. You have their email address and some kind of address, whether it be a physical place or a PayPal account, that you sent money to. If the authorities take the case seriously they could track the person down.

6pack

MSI BOD Member
    Apr 2, 2012
    Eldersburg, MD
    Thanks guys. It was $715 and I was to send the same after I got it. The bad thing is I sent a Moneygram. They won't help. The good thing is I funded it with a Visa, so they are willing to dispute the charge and I'm waiting to hear back.

It's been a week and a half with no contact from the seller. I've filed reports with some Federal fraud agency that Armslist recommends and with the New York State police. I unfortunately don't have a local address for her/him.

I've searched the email address and what little info I have but can not find anything. Do we have any police types that might have access to better search facilities?

Maybe we could sticky a post with known scammers?

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    I can't remember the officer's name but, I spoke to him when they were set up by the fire hall for the Carroll County Night Out.

303_enfield

Ultimate Member
    May 30, 2007
    DelMarVa
    The price should have told you it was a scam. About 100 Lyman Alaskans (C No 67 Mk1) where fitted by Long Branch. Buy some books from Ian Skennerton on the Enfields.

Also, find a copy of:
    An Armourer's Perspective:
    .303 No.4 (T) SNIPER RIFLE and the Holland & Holland Connection by Peter Laidler with Ian Skennerton.

If you can't finger bang the rifle, get lots of pictures, some with a current newspaper on it. Also, pay by USPS money order. Last, if screwed, call local PD, USPS inspection Service and AFTE. Then drive to the sellers house :)

If you really need a T, PM me. Or go here:
    http://www.bdlltd.com/Military_Firearms_Curio_&_Relic.html
    http://www.bdlltd.com/Military_Firearms_CR_BSA_MK_1T.html

Buy the book, not the story.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Noha

Latest threads