• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CasualObserver

Who Observes the Observer
    Apr 27, 2012
    Maryland Born Now in Vermont
    So I keep eyeing those .22 enfield trainers at SAMCO (have been for awhile now). Any thoughts? I know there are a few of you out there that have them. More $ then I've ever spent on a .22 trainer before, but I'm willing to pony up if it is a decent value.

"Enfield Rifle No. 2 MKIV caliber .22 long rifle. These Enfield rifles were converted to cal. 22 long rifle and fitted with factory manufactured cal. 22 barrel, used in training, magazine capacity Single Shot, ladder rear sight, dark hardwood stock.
    Matching number Bolt and Receiver."

https://samcoglobal.com/1-enfield.html

CasualObserver

Who Observes the Observer
    Apr 27, 2012
    Maryland Born Now in Vermont
    So I keep eyeing those .22 enfield trainers at SAMCO (have been for awhile now). Any thoughts? I know there are a few of you out there that have them. More $ then I've ever spent on a .22 trainer before, but I'm willing to pony up if it is a decent value.

"Enfield Rifle No. 2 MKIV caliber .22 long rifle. These Enfield rifles were converted to cal. 22 long rifle and fitted with factory manufactured cal. 22 barrel, used in training, magazine capacity Single Shot, ladder rear sight, dark hardwood stock.
    Matching number Bolt and Receiver."

https://samcoglobal.com/1-enfield.html

No one? I'm shocked....

MotoJ

Sep 4, 2012
    Mobtown
    A friend of mine owns one of these- it was his father in law's, and he got it many years ago. His is very accurate, but heavy as hell. They are cool as heck, being Enfields, but the weight and the single shot action make the novelty wear off pretty fast.

I'd save the money to put towards a .303.

SigMatt

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2007
    Shores of the Bay, MD
    I want one desperately but one of the Canadian conversions. That is the first gun I ever fired, loading single shot from a wood block by feel in the dark and hearing the empties fall into the hollow magazine body.

I regret having let go a local Enfield 22 in mint condition but the price tag was steep. I should have grabbed it. I'll probably grab one of these before long. There are cheaper, lighter, more accurate guns out there (and I own one, a Savage FVT Mk.1) but your first gun is always special.

I have a .303 Enfield so it would be an addition to the British family.

Matt

303_enfield

Ultimate Member
    May 30, 2007
    DelMarVa
    If you need one Samco is the place for now. The BAD is the new serial numbers put on the rifle per ATF. I rather not have billboard import marks on my rifles.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    -If the photos of the two grades are representative then the big difference I noticed is that the higher grade has a receiver sight in the ad photo, they're calling it a "ladder sight". Believe it's a Canadian Cooey (see my photo below), might be one of the No4 Singers. That's easily worth an extra $100 IMHO. Me, I'd call and verify that you're getting one if you decide to go that route. They do make for a more pleasant shooting session.
    -Price wise, assuming a true VG condition, both Samco grades seem to be pretty much on mark for today's retail market, maybe a touch high. You could probably find one (w.o. receiver sight) for less, say $450, with a little patience and diligence but I don't think Samco is asking crazy high prices either.
    Every Enfield collector needs to have one!

Attachments

• IMGP6531.JPG
      IMGP6531.JPG
      38.8 KB · Views: 632

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    If you want to look one over, they had one at freestate range in White Marsh. But the tag was $795 on it. Stock looked like a mildly used Mosin T53.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    If you want to look one over, they had one at freestate range in White Marsh. But the tag was $795 on it. Stock looked like a mildly used Mosin T53.

Many of these trainers were older, obsolete rifles pulled for conversion to .22 so they already had many hard miles on 'em. I've got a No2 MKIV from NZ that fits this description. I don't mind the dings, where else are you going to find a NZ marked No2 MKIV, ex-MKIII, still sporting the original volley sights and adj. rear sight? Most like mine are likely buried deep in collections, hard to find.

Attachments

• IMGP5852.JPG
      IMGP5852.JPG
      23.3 KB · Views: 598
    • IMGP5845.JPG
      IMGP5845.JPG
      63.7 KB · Views: 617

Grey_Man

Feb 25, 2010
    Fruitland
    When I first heard about training versions of milsurp rifles, I was suprised how expensive they usually were! They are more unique, though, and at least they are cheap to shoot.

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    loading single shot from a wood block by feel in the dark and hearing the empties fall into the hollow magazine body.
    You too, huh.:party29:

I have to admit that this is way over the top for me & I like the Lee-Enfield! I would only even consider that price as a collector to finish up a collection.

The conversion from .410 is a sleeved tube, but the other is an actual .22 re-barrel if I read that ad right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom