• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Okay, so maybe the title is a little misleading since he was outside of his jurisdiction but the other day I was at the Rutters Farm store in New Freedom, PA pumping some gas while open carrying. After I was finished pumping gas I went into the store and paid for the gas, as I walked out of the store I noticed the guy at the pump next to the pump I was at was looking right at me and realized he was also in uniformed, as I got closer I could see the patch on his uniform the Baltimore County Police patch. He had a small suv with tinted windows but I could tell he was looking through the windows on his vehicle while I was getting into my car. He never said anything to me and I just smiled and went on my way, but it was obvious he was looking at me the entire time.

woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009
    That's a bunch of BS

ha ha ha, that ain't a bunch of BS. whats a COL?

several of my buds live in PA for a coupla reasons; taxes, anonymity, and the fact their wives can open carry when doing domestic chores. ha ha ha.

Dec 6, 2011
    So many cops and firefighters from my jurisdiction live in PA, that it will actually affect manpower when we get a major snow storm. They simply cannot make the regular 90 min drive in three feet of snow........and they are not close enough to go after them with County resources. And yes, it is much cheaper. I can't believe the size of the single family homes they own in PA for the same cost as a lousy condo in Montgomery.

5 bucks says he was wondering what Dept you worked for and if you were hiring, because Baltimore is tough duty. Every time I get a new kid that is a lateral from Baltimore, they are so happy to be treated well that they trip over themselves trying to do a good job.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Does the OP find it odd that perhaps a non-gun hobbyist Police Officer in MD was gawking at him while he was doing a legal open carry in PA?

I mean, he obviously knew the law and cared about his job as he didn't go Cowboy Justice on you to detain you while PA authorities were contacted to ruffle your feathers. So what's the big deal? Nothing happened, congrats bro.

Mr H

Unincited Co-Conservative
    Does the OP find it odd that perhaps a non-gun hobbyist Police Officer in MD was starring at him while he was doing a legal open carry in PA?

I mean, he obviously knew the law and cared about his job as he didn't go Cowboy Justice on you to detain you while PA authorities were contacted to ruffle your feathers. So what's the big deal? Nothing happened, congrats bro.

I've heard similar tales in the past, and usually with a dose of disdain--and sometimes misplaced confrontation--from the MD-based LEO.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Maybe the guy was just admiring what he was doing? Who knows, you didn't talk to him so now we will never know what he was thinking.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    So many cops and firefighters from my jurisdiction live in PA, that it will actually affect manpower when we get a major snow storm. They simply cannot make the regular 90 min drive in three feet of snow........and they are not close enough to go after them with County resources. And yes, it is much cheaper. I can't believe the size of the single family homes they own in PA for the same cost as a lousy condo in Montgomery.

5 bucks says he was wondering what Dept you worked for and if you were hiring, because Baltimore is tough duty. Every time I get a new kid that is a lateral from Baltimore, they are so happy to be treated well that they trip over themselves trying to do a good job.

I think you're confusing Baltimore County and City. Every County officer I know loves their job. City not so much.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    I have a neighbor who is Balto county K9 cop and he dropped in asking if I wanted a rooster. So I led him down to the chicken pen and he put the rooster down in there. I was OC the whole time, he never said a thing. Now his wife and daughter had been here before with some other roosters, and I was OCing then too, so maybe they gave him a heads up. But I would have thought that he HAD to have noticed, and that he might ask what I was carrying etc. If he didn't even notice, it would make me wonder what sort of cop he is to not notice it. Maybe he eats at York rt 30 5Guys every friday night and is so used to it he doesn't notice anymore LOL. There's a young couple who go there about every friday and they both OC, plus another PAFOA regular OCer goes there sometimes too.

Jan 25, 2011
    MD
    Okay, so maybe the title is a little misleading since he was outside of his jurisdiction but the other day I was at the Rutters Farm store in New Freedom, PA pumping some gas while open carrying. After I was finished pumping gas I went into the store and paid for the gas, as I walked out of the store I noticed the guy at the pump next to the pump I was at was looking right at me and realized he was also in uniformed, as I got closer I could see the patch on his uniform the Baltimore County Police patch. He had a small suv with tinted windows but I could tell he was looking through the windows on his vehicle while I was getting into my car. He never said anything to me and I just smiled and went on my way, but it was obvious he was looking at me the entire time.

Chances are he ran your tags too. Oh well, sounds like nothing bad came out of it.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    I have a neighbor who is Balto county K9 cop and he dropped in asking if I wanted a rooster. So I led him down to the chicken pen and he put the rooster down in there. I was OC the whole time, he never said a thing. Now his wife and daughter had been here before with some other roosters, and I was OCing then too, so maybe they gave him a heads up. But I would have thought that he HAD to have noticed, and that he might ask what I was carrying etc. If he didn't even notice, it would make me wonder what sort of cop he is to not notice it. Maybe he eats at York rt 30 5Guys every friday night and is so used to it he doesn't notice anymore LOL. There's a young couple who go there about every friday and they both OC, plus another PAFOA regular OCer goes there sometimes too.

Maybe he just doesnt care what you legally do on your property. Sounds like you live far enough out "in the sticks" where it's not a big deal.

I also dont see a problem with a MD officer live out of the state. Who cares where they decide to spend their off time? I personally know a MD officer who left for PA over simple gun laws. Got tired of the 7 day wait and other silly laws.

Who cares?

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I have no intention of starting a police debate, which is what this is going to turn into I'm sure.

What I'm actually looking for is the point in this thread? The officer said nothing, you broke no laws, you weren't in MD, and it sounds like everyone properly obeyed the law. This thread would be similar to me telling you I was driving on 495 last night and watched a man use his turn signal when changing lanes.

Or me starting a thread about me going to the store and paying for items after I went to the register.

Am I out of my mind or does anyone get what I am saying?

It's like a lifetime movie, the thread title gives this thread build up only to be let down with no real topic or point (that I can decipher).

safecracker

Unrepentant Sinner
    Feb 26, 2009
    I have no intention of starting a police debate, which is what this is going to turn into I'm sure.

What I'm actually looking for is the point in this thread? The officer said nothing, you broke no laws, you weren't in MD, and it sounds like everyone properly obeyed the law. This thread would be similar to me telling you I was driving on 495 last night and watched a man use his turn signal when changing lanes.

Or me starting a thread about me going to the store and paying for items after I went to the register.

Am I out of my mind or does anyone get what I am saying?

It's like a lifetime movie, the thread title gives this thread build up only to be let down with no real topic or point (that I can decipher).
    Agreed. I thought the term 'encounter' in the thread title was very misleading, since there was no encounter at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom