• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Carry definition expanding?
    I believe this is the thread mentioning forms of carry so ... I just saw the article showing a man was arrested and charged with carrying a weapon without a license while he was asleep in his hotel room, gun was in his car outside! Possible future SC case? sorry, didn't want to start a separate thread on this and it may be of interest/related?

Link

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    I believe this is the thread mentioning forms of carry so ... I just saw the article showing a man was arrested and charged with carrying a weapon without a license while he was asleep in his hotel room, gun was in his car outside! Possible future SC case? sorry, didn't want to start a separate thread on this and it may be of interest/related?

Link
    Doubtful. He will almost certainly take a plea bargain to avoid prison. Can't appeal what you agree to...

GlocksAndPatriots

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 29, 2016

Link

In D.C., you need a permit just to possess.

777GSOTB

Mar 23, 2014
    In D.C., you need a permit just to possess.

DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA et al. v. HELLER, 554 U.S. 570, (2008)

"Respondent conceded at oral argument that he does not “have a problem with . . . licensing” and that the District’s law is permissible so long as it is “not enforced in an arbitrary and capricious manner.” Tr. of Oral Arg. 74–75. We therefore assume that petitioners’ issuance of a license will satisfy respondent’s prayer for relief and do not address the licensing requirement."

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    This has been posted before but I figured still relevant with the number of relists of Peruta: http://www.scotusblog.com/2016/10/the-statistics-of-relists-redux-october-term-2015/

Our chances of this being granted and heard by SCOTUS are dwindling. Chances of granting via summary disposition (GVR for example) or a denial with a written dissent/concurrence also go up. But I just don't see a summary disposition scenario.

yep. With 5 'rescheduled' and 9 "DISTRIBUTED for Conference".

HaveBlue

HaveBlue
    Dec 4, 2014
    Virginia
    This has been posted before but I figured still relevant with the number of relists of Peruta: http://www.scotusblog.com/2016/10/the-statistics-of-relists-redux-october-term-2015/

Our chances of this being granted and heard by SCOTUS are dwindling. Chances of granting via summary disposition (GVR for example) or a denial with a written dissent/concurrence also go up. But I just don't see a summary disposition scenario.

Interesting article. I hadn't seen it before. I'm doubtful that statistics are good way if predicting outcomes if inherently unique events as court cases. ( if the stats pointed my way I might feel differently ). The observation that the re-lists could be used to allow time for the justices to produce a written result does sound reasonable.

The wildcard is Gorsuch's tenure. That data is from 2015. At that time Kagan had been on the bench for 5 years.

I admit to being irrationally optimistic which is why I don't buy stock or gamble often.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Interesting article. I hadn't seen it before. I'm doubtful that statistics are good way if predicting outcomes if inherently unique events as court cases. ( if the stats pointed my way I might feel differently ). The observation that the re-lists could be used to allow time for the justices to produce a written result does sound reasonable.

The wildcard is Gorsuch's tenure. That data is from 2015. At that time Kagan had been on the bench for 5 years.

I admit to being irrationally optimistic which is why I don't buy stock or gamble often.

I don't think things would change drastically from that term since almost all of these actions surveyed take more than 1 justice. As far as Gorsuch's impact the only thing I can gather is possibly cases get drawn out longer due to him not participating in the cert pool.

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    16-402 "Carpenter v. US" is interesting:

Issue: Whether the warrantless seizure and search of historical cell-phone records revealing the location and movements of a cell-phone user over the course of 127 days is permitted by the Fourth Amendment.

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    16-402 "Carpenter v. US" is interesting:

Issue: Whether the warrantless seizure and search of historical cell-phone records revealing the location and movements of a cell-phone user over the course of 127 days is permitted by the Fourth Amendment.

Believe there's another one in limbo from CA4 on cell records...

Speaking of 4th amendment cases, has the TSA ever gone to SCOTUS for violating the 4th amendment?

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    The other thing that is interesting about Carpenter is that it was relisted 8 times (and also rescheduled once).

It clearly took a while to get to this. There are still a few in limbo of both historical and real-time cell site records.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Town of Chester v Laroe got decided today and it was unanimous.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/16pdf/16-605_kjfl.pdf

A litigant seeking to intervene as of right under Rule 24(a)(2)
    must meet the requirements of Article III standing if the intervenor
    wishes to pursue relief not requested by a plaintiff.

Sheriff Gore did not seek relief and declined to participate, and the 3-judge panel denied intervention by the State.

I am taking the longshot that Peruta gets vacated and remanded to reconsider the motion to intervene in light of Chester.

The Court of Appeals is to address on remand the question whether Laroe seeks different relief than Sherman.

Pretty clearly true in this case, since Gore did not seek any relief whatsoever....

Also, I know someone will say "but the parties waived it"... The Supreme Court can always consider at a procedural issue, and might, if only to protect procedural integrity of the process.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom