• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Elliotte

Ultimate Member
    Aug 11, 2011
    Loudoun County VA
    IANAL, not even close, so could someone explain to me what the value is of dissenting opinions? I have taken note of them in many cases but it didn't occur to me until the above post, that they might carry any weight. I just sort of viewed it as speaking out against a perceived injustice but it sounds as if it means something more than that. What is the actual importance if the case is already decided the other way?

Take for example Justice Breyer's dissent in Heller. He created the 2A two-step that the lower courts are using to justify away 2A rights. Heller said the standard of review is a historical analysis of how the right was understood by those who voted for it (in the 2A and incorporated in the 14th Amendment). Breyer in his dissent said first see if it's part of the core of the right, then pick a standard of scrutiny.

The majority's opinion is the ruling of the court, but dissents are an attempt to convince other judges to follow your way instead. And if you can convince enough judges to follow your way instead, you can effectively nullify a majority opinion.

Of course, IANAL, but just what I've witnessed.

Peaceful John

May 31, 2011
    How do you plan on getting to a destination? Public transportation? Firearms will need to be secured in checked baggage. Car? Some states claim firearms are considered concealed when in a car. Horse? good to go :)

It seems to me those restrictions exist because the national right to "bear" not yet does. Once (if?) open carry is determined to be the protected form of "bear", I would be quite surprised if those restrictions persist.

777GSOTB

Mar 23, 2014
    I would gladly accept nationwide unlicensed open carry. Better than what we have now.

I suspect if that happens, states will then allow the more modern means of appropriate carry and eventually allow concealed carry without a license also. My concern at this point is that if the license requirement for open carry isn't properly challenged, we will all end up being under a license/contract to exercise a fundamental right. Not good and say hello to carry insurance down the road. Open carry outside the home should be reviewed under strict scrutiny. If there is a compelling state interest for the public's safety, the least restrictive means to accomplish that, would be to issue a certificate of competence to certify, not license, the competency of the individual. I was hoping Eric Friday would work that into his Norman v Florida case, but he didn't bite.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I suspect if that happens, states will then allow the more modern means of appropriate carry and eventually allow concealed carry without a license also. My concern at this point is that if the license requirement for open carry isn't properly challenged, we will all end up being under a license/contract to exercise a fundamental right. Not good and say hello to carry insurance down the road. Open carry outside the home should be reviewed under strict scrutiny. If there is a compelling state interest for the public's safety, the least restrictive means to accomplish that, would be to issue a certificate of competence to certify, not license, the competency of the individual. I was hoping Eric Friday would work that into his Norman v Florida case, but he didn't bite.

Look at voter registration as a 1A analogy.

You need to register, in order to exercise a fundamental right...

I am not saying its right or wrong, but the government induced requirements to exercise a fundamental right needs to be severely restricted.

777GSOTB

Mar 23, 2014

I am not saying its right or wrong, but the government induced requirements to exercise a fundamental right needs to be severely restricted.

You're right, it needs to be severely limited. But with no proper argument we get licensing that will never be defeated once its set into law. A certificate of competence would include all the typical registration requirements(Name,address,birth date), plus acknowledging whether one is competent to use a firearm. It doesn't place one under a legal nexus like that of a license/contract. The certificate should more than satisfy any state interest for the public's safety. If this point isn't argued, we get licensing. And like I said, get ready for high fees and mandatory carry insurance...That's absolute IMHO.

randian

Jan 13, 2012

Yes, but the purpose of voter registration is, or would be if we weren't being governed by traitors, to make sure only eligible voters vote. Non-citizens, felons, people voting in multiple precincts, and the dead shouldn't count. They don't do it in order to prevent you from voting. Unlike the situation with carry permits, I regard that as a benign purpose.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    En banc petition filed from the en banc decision! This doesn't happen very often

Attachments

• Petition full en banc from panel en banc.pdf
      517.4 KB · Views: 637
    Last edited:

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    En banc petition filed from the en banc decision!

WTH? Gotta do a quick read LOL!

Okay, admit not reading the whole opinion yet, but this is a bitch slap in the face to stop legislating from the bench. Consider the issue presented and stay out of purposefully wondering into the weeds.

kcbrown

Super Genius
    Jun 16, 2012

Yep. It's pretty amusing to watch the goings on here.

But there's no way the 9th Circuit will vote to re-hear the very decision it intended to achieve when it took the original en banc vote in the first place.

Remember, the 9th Circuit voted in favor of the initial en banc action for the purpose of overturning the original decision. It got its wish. There's no way in hell it will put that result in jeopardy. And with SCOTUS fractured the way it is now, there's no way SCOTUS grants cert for the purpose of overturning.

No, in the 9th Circuit, the bad guys have won. What a surprise.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.

And the majority’s approach does not avoid any constitutional
    question, but instead sets up an unnecessary constitutional
    confrontation over California’s open carry laws.

In short, the majority has taken a dispute that could have
    been resolved by local officials through an administrative regulation
    that would be consistent with state law—–i.e., identical to how state
    law functions in other California counties—and turned it into a
    dispute that likely will require a federal court to strike down a state
    statute—all at the expense of constitutional avoidance, federalism,
    and separation of powers.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    How long does the Court have to vote on this? Has a petition ever been granted for full court en banc in the Ninth?

Someone on this forum did the research. It's been requested 5 times since the court started doing panel en banc. Never successfully.

wolfwood

Ultimate Member
    Aug 24, 2011
    Yep. It's pretty amusing to watch the goings on here.

But there's no way the 9th Circuit will vote to re-hear the very decision it intended to achieve when it took the original en banc vote in the first place.

Remember, the 9th Circuit voted in favor of the initial en banc action for the purpose of overturning the original decision. It got its wish. There's no way in hell it will put that result in jeopardy. And with SCOTUS fractured the way it is now, there's no way SCOTUS grants cert for the purpose of overturning.

No, in the 9th Circuit, the bad guys have won. What a surprise.

I've read that the a en banc hearing takes 5 times as much resources as it takes to conduct a normal published case. Imagine how much time would take to conduct a full court en banc hearing. I personally think this is a delay tactic. Chuck is holding out hoping to stall the cert petition long enough so that there is 9 justices on the Court and trump wins the nomination.

And as Esq just said its never been successful. This is not the first important case the Ninth has heard. All en banc decesion are very important.

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    I've read that the a en banc hearing takes 5 times as much resources as it takes to conduct a normal published case. Imagine how much time would take to conduct a full court en banc hearing. I personally think this is a delay tactic. Chuck is holding out hoping to stall the cert petition long enough so that there is 9 justices on the Court and trump wins the nomination.

And as Esq just said its never been successful. This is not the first important case the Ninth has heard. All en banc decesion are very important.
    And any judge can write a dissent from denial of rehearing. :innocent0

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    Agree that the Petition for Cert is currently a waste of time, need to delay, so why not call the partial en banc panel out for their twisted, activist logic. It is a rather amusing tactic.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    En banc petition filed from the en banc decision! This doesn't happen very often

Assuming the full court en banc is denied, would they maybe try SCOTUS not to actually hear the case but get the case sent back to the 9th so they actually answer plaintiff's real question and not the question they wanted to answer?

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Agree that the Petition for Cert is currently a waste of time, need to delay, so why not call the partial en banc panel out for their twisted, activist logic. It is a rather amusing tactic.

It does give time in case the FL Supremes affirm the appeals court ruling (and split with Peruta) or any other case that may get decided and cause a split.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Assuming the full court en banc is denied, would they maybe try SCOTUS not to actually hear the case but get the case sent back to the 9th so they actually answer plaintiff's real question and not the question they wanted to answer?

They would have to grant cert and, unlike Caetano, the question is not likely to be answered per curiam as it is not in direct conflict with any passage in Heller (per curiam GVR is possible on the refusal to address open carry, but not likely, as they might feel that they would need to get into the merits). I think there are multiple reasons for doing this which have been alluded to above by others. First, it buys at least a month, maybe a lot more. Add that to the 90 days for filing cert, plus another 60 days you can get on extension requests with the SCT. That's half a year. We could have a 9th Justice by then. I don't think a cert petition has any chance whatsoever without a 9th Justice. Second, since a full en banc petition is addressed to the full court, any member of the court can write a dissent from the denial of en banc. Cue Judge O'Scannlain (and others). Judge O'Scannlain has done that before, as the new petition notes (at page 2). An O'Scannlain dissent can carry a lot of weight as he is highly respected by members of the SCT (his dissents usually carry the day in cases in which cert is granted). See, e.g., page 2 of the new petition. A more recent example is Walden v. Fiore, 134 SCT 1115 (2014), reversing unanimously a 9th Cir panel decision where O'Scannlain dissented from a denial of en banc. Finally, on the merits, the panel en banc decision is a bad joke in refusing to address the California ban on open carry; it cries out for correction. Courts do not and should not adjudicate constitutional questions in this manner. Disingenuous is too kind a word for that sort of decision. It's a good call, filing this full en banc petition. I approve :) It does take big ones though....

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom